The Stand

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I don't know if there's a thread for this already, I looked and didn't see one.

The Stand is probably one of my favorite novels ever, and it's going to be made into four movies by Warner Brothers and will be directed by Josh Boone, the director of The Fault in Our Stars.

For those who haven't waded into Stephen King's 1,000 plus page horror fantasy epic, and why wouldn't you, it's about a virus that decimates 90% of humanity, and how the people who survive try to rebuild society. It's really black and white, good people flock to Mother Abigail, an elderly black woman who stands in for God, and the bad people are drawn towards Randall Flagg, AKA the Walkin' Dude, AKA Satan, AKA a bad guy in a LOT of King's novels...but then it's an allegory, so that simplistic view of life works for it. The book is amazing in its complex characters, however, and the plot is thrilling. I can see this being a great series of flicks, sort of like a horror "Lord of the Rings" if done well.

Rumors have it that Matthew McConaughey will play the film's antagonist/Satan stand in, Randall Flagg. This sounds like amazing casting, honestly.

I don't know who will play anyone else, but I can think of a few people I'd like to see cast. I'd love to see either Jeremy Renner or Jake Gyllenhal play Stu Redman, the book's male lead, a working class guy from Texas who is the first person outside of the military to be exposed to the virus and who becomes a leader of the survivors.

A suggestion I've seen and one I love is Shailene Woodley as Frannie, a pregnant college student who is immune to the virus but is worried that her baby won't be. She's an instantly likable actress, in a girl-next-door sort of way, so this would be awesome casting. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see in the role.

Maybe Bradley Cooper could play Lloyd, a small time criminal who becomes Flagg's right hand. He has the charisma and I think he could play a fantastic bad guy.

After that, I'm not sure.

Any other fans on here? I'd love to see other people's suggestions for casting.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Wouldn't recommend.

This is the first I'm hearing about this recent development. I know that the project has gone back-and-forth for several years now. First, Ron Howard was going to do it, then Ben Affleck, then a few others I've forgotten. I hope it sticks this time. I actually liked the TV miniseries and thought it was well-cast for the most part. It'll be hard to imagine a better Stu Redman than Gary Sinise, and the late Ruby Dee was great as Mother Abigail. Because it's such a long book, I would prefer it be an HBO miniseries rather than another set of films that we'd have to wait for a year or so to see the next installment. Oh well, you never know...the way this thing has been going, this attempt may not make it. I wish them luck and hope it turns out great.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The mini series was really good. The best of all the stephen king tv stuff....because It was just too creepy for me to enjoy at that age. 😦

I liked the miniseries too. Gary Sinese was good. It does need someone who's believable as an ordinary bloke. I'm not sure about spreading it over 4 films, I'd be nervous about that too.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The novel definitely has enough material to make four films of it. Originally it was going to be a single 3 hour film, and they took several passes at making it, including an attempt by the writer and director of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as well as Ben Affleck, but those folks gave up in frustration because of how dense the material is and how difficult it would be to make it a single film. I can only imagine they'll film it all at one time, like Lord of the Rings.

Also, apparently the director of True Detective is making a two film version of "IT" that Stephen King is very excited about. I just found that one out. It's going to be a good year for him.

Monkey Punch, that sounds good about "It"...Cary Fukunaga did an awesome job on his work on "True Detective," so he should bring a proper creepiness and dark mood to "It." Once again, the casting is essential. In the miniseries, I thought the kids were fantastic, but the adults less so. And Tim Curry is going to be a tall order to beat as Pennywise...he brought an equal measure of humor and horror to his performance and his acting in the role has become iconic. Still, I'll be following the casting process with eagerness. And please, please, Fukunaga, make the final appearance of It as the creature more believable, or should I say believable at all, because the goofy spider was horrible. It had crossed eyes, was rubbery-looking, changed sizes back-and-forth and was a disaster. Please use CGI on that sucker this time and make it look terrifying.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I actually never read the book but I LOVE the mini-series! I am AMPED to hear that they are making movies. As far as casting. . .

Stu Redman - Lucas Black

Frannie Goldsmith - Kristen Bell

Harold Lauder - Adam Brody

Larry Underwood - Charlie Hunnam

Nadine Cross - Emma Stone

Nick Andross - Ian Somerholder

Randall Flagg - Norman Reedus

So far that's all I got. LOL

A system of cells interlinked
I loved the book (original version), and the 90s mini did some things right. That said, I would like to see a version that didn't have to conform to the content standards of television, so i am thinking a cable mini would be best. however, if this is what we are getting, I would probably see it.

Hey, teeter_g, I like some of your picks for the characters....Lucas Black would indeed make a good Stu, Emma Stone would be awesome as Nadine----I'd love to see her tackle Nadine's bad girl role, and Ian Somerholder would make a good Nick Andros....he even resembles Rob Lowe who played Nick in the miniseries. I'm trying to think who would make a good Trashcan Man but I'm drawing a blank. I'll try later and see what I can come up with.

Update! (finally):

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-stand-series/

Good news for some, not for me though. I will not subscribe to that network just to see this, although I am tempted. I think it's highly unfair for the people who don't subscribe to CBS All Access to produce it for them. It should be on a more proven cable networks like HBO or Showtime, which I'm positive more people watch. Whatever. Hopefully it'll come out on DVD after it's been on that network for a while.

This might just do nobody any good.
I can’t wait till it gets delayed and resettled elsewhere!