Bruce Almighty

→ in
Tools    

don't make me hulk out... uh oh... too late... inseam ripping... muscles bulging... labron hummers tearing... brown pants turning purple...

GRRRRRR... *hak-agk*

i'm ok

I ate all your bees.
I agree, the first 2/3 were decent then it all went downhill. The major thing that annoyed me about this movie was that all of the good parts were shown in the trailer so by the time I saw the movie there was nothing funny left.

i didn't think that was completely the case. there were a few funny parts in the movie they didn't let out in the previews.

the scene with the newscaster doing his gibberish was hilarious. i laughed so hard, my face hurt. thought i was going to hurl. i didn't see that in a trailer until after it had been out for a while.

I thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen until about the last 20 minutes, when it turned into a church service.

"I want you to be in control of my life! I want you to decide what's best for me!"

I almost left the theater. I'll bet my life that the Christian Coalition had a hand in writing THAT script...

what do people have against christians!?!

Originally Posted by PenclArtst
what do people have against christians!?!
Nothing in particular. I just don't want to be subjected to a church sermon (which is was that movie turned into 3/4 of the way in) when I've paid $8 to be there. It became nothing more than a recruitment film.

Originally Posted by Psyklone
Nothing in particular. I just don't want to be subjected to a church sermon (which is was that movie turned into 3/4 of the way in) when I've paid $8 to be there. It became nothing more than a recruitment film.
Please. One line (which really wasn't that bad; the only message from it was "people shouldn't play God"), the film suddenly becomes a "sermon"?

Many films depict religious or moral sentiments not all of us agree with; if you need a film to line up with your own personality morality, theology, or philosophy to enjoy it, you're depriving yourself of an awful lot of quality cinema.

This is not to say a film cannot be heavy-handed or preachy, but this one would only qualify under the most rigid standards. The concept of God, for better or worse, is an integral part of this world, so whether you believe it or not, what's with the seperation of Church and Cinema ideal? Not only is it impractical, but it would surely lessen the emotional impact left by most films who explore such ideas.

Aside from that, I'd say most films could be said to "recruit" people to a particular ideology, even if not always deliberately. Few films are without a moral or a message.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Please. One line (which really wasn't that bad; the only message from it was "people shouldn't play God"), the film suddenly becomes a "sermon"?
Bullsh*t. That movie came down to the one main ideal that is given when people get "saved", which is that since we can never live up to the greatness of God, we can only try our best to serve him. You cannot tell me that that wasn't the message of that movie.

And I have NO problem with movies about religous topics. Hell, Dogma is one of my all time favorites. But I don't want to be duped into thinking I should go to chruch this sunday.

Bullsh*t. That movie came down to the one main ideal that is given when people get "saved", which is that since we can never live up to the greatness of God, we can only try our best to serve him. You cannot tell me that that wasn't the message of that movie.
Yes, I can. It never got half as specific as that. There are only two objectively discernable morals:
  1. Men should not play God.
  2. "Be the miracle"
Anything beyond that is either speculation, exaggeration, or fabrication. The film's primary focus was comedy. The fact that a single line apparently touched a nerve of yours does not make it a "sermon."

And I have NO problem with movies about religous topics. Hell, Dogma is one of my all time favorites. But I don't want to be duped into thinking I should go to chruch this sunday.
You're implying that Bruce's submission to God in the film is a trick to get people like yourself to attend worship services? This smacks more of religious paranoia than reasonable complaint.

I don't think this movie inspired much religious thought at all even thought he got to be God. It just wasn't good enough to inspire that kind of response, and plus they didn't really try and make it to deep. I almost wish this was made as a more serious movie because the premise is cool, but they just got to silly with it.

i thought that this movie was really good, i thought that was really funny and one of the best movies that jim carrey has made in my personal opinion.
i think that my only problem was jennifer aniston, i really dont think that they got the right actress to play that part, i think its because im used to seeing her on friends and being a bit of a pratt but i dnt think she looked right alongside jim carrey.
i thought morgan freeman was excellent, he played a really good part, i really enjoyed seeing him playing this role.
i think it was excellently directed and was brilliant, a good laugh with friends.

cazz
x

The movie was good I thought funny I say a classic Jim Cerey movie even though Lier lier was still better and the mask was great too!
So I would give this movie ** because it was funny but it still was not one of Jim Ceray Good movies he has talent and he waste it on this movie I think he could had been given a better role and movie for that matter!
But it was still not that bad Dumb and Dumber was way worst now that movie sucked!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

I thought this was Carrey's funniest film. I laughed all throughout with scenes like the "How many fingers am I holding up??" scene. Where he holds up his hand and "AHA!"....

Originally Posted by PenclArtst
..the scene with the newscaster doing his gibberish was hilarious.
Especially that as well !!!

Originally Posted by sidewinder
...the first 2/3 were decent then it all went downhill. The major thing that annoyed me about this movie was that all of the good parts were shown in the trailer...

Say what?? No way. Sure there were some parts that weren't that swift (like any film), but Bruce Almighty was good all the way around.

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
I saw this movie when it came out and I thought it was funny!

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

lotr and potc rocks
I give bruce almighty 3 1/2 stars

Quote:: It's trying to be "Spiritual," I suppose, but why can't Hollywood make a religious themed movie where the subject isn't simplified to an third grader's comprehension level? (Dogma, maybe, but that wasn't a hollywood movie..)

This movie was bad as a 'movie' theatre going film, I don't think I would of been able to watch this at the theatre, however in reply to your question about "simplified to an third grader's comprehension level" I think Hollywood, has to walk on egg shells with respect to a 'religious' movie simply becuase everyone challenges those types of movies. Perhaps in the earlier to middle part of the twentieth century, beleiving in God, was just the norm, nowadays you just have to becareful whom your going to offend. I actully liked this movie at home, your right Jim Carey is too spastic and his acting is a little rusty. His time is just about over with his type of comedy. It just aint' working no more.

I thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen until about the last 20 minutes, when it turned into a church service.

"I want you to be in control of my life! I want you to decide what's best for me!"

I almost left the theater. I'll bet my life that the Christian Coalition had a hand in writing THAT script...
Bruce Almighty was a funny movie which i liked alot, i think the funniest part was when Jim controls the news anchor that he doesnt like speech. Has anyone seen the deleted scene for that part, the guy jim doesnt like hair comes on fire its probably more funny.

This movie was a mess...Carrey's character was just a tired retread of several other characters he has played and Jennifer Aniston's role was thankless. The only thing that made this film worth sitting through was Morgan Freeman's performance as God, but even he wasn't enough to merit a re-watch...this movie got real old real fast.