Too anticipated to not like

Tools    

Is there such a thing as anticipating a movie too much to the point of convincing yourself that the movie is better than it actually is ?

I certainly notice that often with some films where people convince themselves that the movie is great and it mostly happens with masculine movies that appeals to men.

Do you have any such movies that you bought into because of who is involved in making the movie and then now when you look back the movies are not as good ?

No, not for me.

The opposite is true at times though. The film fails to meet expectations and due to that disappointment it feels worse than it actually is. I try to keep my expectations low but sometimes I just can't help myself (like I have quite high expectations for the new Rambo because the previous film was so good).

When I have real high expectations that a movie will be super great, I'm almost always disappointed. The more pre-hype of a movie that smaller the chance that I will end up loving it.

The truth is in here
Yeah, sometimes a movie might be okay or decent, but if I expect way more from it than that I will end up feeling sour from the experience.

I do tend to find that high expectations can make judging a film on first viewing difficult, both in potentially being too positive and too negative. If something differs significantly from your expectations but is still of good quality in its own right it can be tough to look past that first time around, you can miss the kind of drama and atmosphere its looking to build in favour of what you think it should be doing.

A big issue a lot of the time on the net of course is that people end up caring more about arguments their involved in on the net than a films quality and will alter their reaction to something in order to back them up. I tend to avoid too much of this kind of talk, wait until you've actually seen a film before cheerleading for it.