Joker origin Movie

Tools    

Obviously the cast is the biggest draw for me, but I also really like the tone and the lack of fantasy/sci-fi elements.
I see, I just now looked at IMDB, it has Phoenix in it. It might be a good film at that, sounds interesting.

So, after 37 years Rupert Pupkin is still hosting his own late night talk show?
That's a better run than Johnny Carson!

I swear this could be a sequel to the King of Comedy (1982) - think about it, there are some strange similarities (this could almost be Rupert's story if he hadn't lucked out in the end, after all, he did turn to crime at one point, didn't he?)

Trailer looks great! Joaquin Phoenix will be getting some Oscar buzz for this.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Meh. What makes the Joker cool is his ambiguous origins. It looks good but I am not a fan of explaining his origins.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Welcome to the human race...
The idea that an origin story will make the Joker less cool is the best argument for a Joker origin story I've ever heard.

Trailer looks great! Joaquin Phoenix will be getting some Oscar buzz for this.

Good chance he gets it I suspect as it was also be a makeup for not having won for several other very well reguarded roles.

Good chance he gets it I suspect as it was also be a makeup for not having won for several other very well reguarded roles.
I'm pretty good at spotting Oscar worthy performances before the buzz begins.

I just came across this:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...164132668.html

And yes, you're right. Phoenix should win the Oscar. He's one of the greatest actors of his generation.

He did get a nomination for The Master but even that was probably a bit too oddball to get an Oscar win whilst Her, Inherent Vice and You Were Never Really Here definitely were.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't understand why so many people, all over the net are comparing this to a Martin Scorsese movie. Just because it's about a guy who goes off the deep end, and goes on a killing spree?

Lots of directors have made movies like that, why is Scorsese held up to the gold standard when it comes to a guy who has a psychotic breakdown? Plus Scorsese only made that movie once if I recall (Taxi Driver), so I don't see why he is the gold standard for this movie to be compared to.

I don't understand why so many people, all over the net are comparing this to a Martin Scorsese movie. Just because it's about a guy who goes off the deep end, and goes on a killing spree?

Lots of directors have made movies like that, why is Scorsese held up to the gold standard when it comes to a guy who has a psychotic breakdown? Plus Scorsese only made that movie once if I recall (Taxi Driver), so I don't see why he is the gold standard for this movie to be compared to.
Watch The King of Comedy. If afterwards you still don’t understand the comparison, then you probably never will.

Oh okay thanks, but I've seen The King of Comedy, but the only thing the movies have in common is that a comedian goes off the deep end. But they do so in very different ways, in movies with very different tones, at least telling from the Joker trailer.

Oh okay thanks, but I've seen The King of Comedy, but the only thing the movies have in common is that a comedian goes off the deep end. But they do so in very different ways, in movies with very different tones, at least telling from the Joker trailer.
AND... you've got the same actor playing a similar role as he did at least at the end of King of Comedy.

Obviously the tone will be different as King of Comedy was a mixture of pathos, pity, irony, satire and a healthy dose of actual dark comedy.

Oh okay, but Robert De Niro is Joker seems to be playing a character more similar to Jerry Lewis's character from The King of Comedy, it s seems, in The Joker trailer.

Oh okay, but Robert De Niro is Joker seems to be playing a character more similar to Jerry Lewis's character from The King of Comedy, it s seems, in The Joker trailer.
Indeed... at the end of King of Comedy De Niro basically became Jerry Lewis (as many substitute hosts of the Tonight Show ended up taking the seat).

So, conceivably, as I pointed out in a former post, we could almost interpret or imagine this (the trailer anyway) as Rupert Pupkin still hosting the Jerry Langford Show decades after the conclusion of King of Comedy as history starts to repeat itself in a way - with an unknown comedian seeking a break, but who may be some kind of a nut like Pupkin himself was (or something far worse)... something Jerry actually warned Pupkin about as one of the pitfalls that may come with fame and which he (Pupkin) might have to deal with himself someday, should he ever achieve success.

I guess I am not just seeing much of a Rupert Pukin connection just because it's played by the same actor, in another movie about a starving comedian.

That's like saying the movie The Girl (2012) is very similar to Bowfinger(1999), cause both movies are about directors doing crazy things to their lead actor, to get their movies made.

I guess I am not just seeing much of a Rupert Pukin connection just because it's played by the same actor, in another movie about a starving comedian.

That's like saying the movie The Girl (2012) is very similar to Bowfinger(1999), cause both movies are about directors doing crazy things to their lead actor, to get their movies made.
That's cool. I'm just engaging in some fun "what if" style speculation & imagination by drawing comparisons and identifying some apparent similarities (which may turn out to be the exact opposite).
And I have a thing for trying to connect unconnected fictional universes or continuities.