Chernobyl (HBO Mini Series)

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tremendous show, loved how we got to see the crucial control room stuff last.

What an excellent day for an exorcism
Last episode was a bit laid back, but ending with a courtroom drama made for a great finale.

Now bring on the mini-series sequel:
Chernobyl II: Dr. Grant, my dear Dr. Sattler, welcome..........to Atomic Park
(they spared no expense)

Visiting Chernobyl "the tourist attraction" is definitely not on my bucket list of things to do before I die.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Might be interesting:

I did wonder in some parts whether there was *less* confrontation than they gave us. That Soviet Union was really good at cracking down on any sort of rebellious action.

But I totally understand their reasons for fictionalizing some confrontation, from a cinematic viewpoint. The Emily Watson character was an amalgam of many scientists -- and I understand that, too. We didn't need a dozen extra, small characters interacting with Jared Harris's character. One covering all the bases sufficed.

Reddit says the damming speech in the courtroom never happened like that at all.

Yeah, even having read that, I don't have any major complaints. The liberties sound reasonable and don't seem to interfere with the best parts of the show. I don't have a problem with the "you sold shoes" bit if it's just there to indicate that unqualified people are rising through the ranks.

I had read an article that there have been complaints that those in charge of the Chernobyl tourist attraction were staging some areas with fake props to evoke sympathy from tourists, like planting a tattered teddy bear doll in line of sight of the touring routes.

I also read that four years ago, long after it was officially declared a "tourist attraction," a massive forest fire was threatening to spread into the Red Forest, which remains one of the most contaminated areas in the world today, surrounding Chernobyl power plant and it would release radiated particles into the air. Wouldn't that be a lovely experience while you just so happen to be visiting the Chernobyl "tourist attraction."

If it had spread into the Red Forest, bear in mind those in charge deciding whether to shut the tour down are the same ones planting fake props to generate more tourist revenue..... There's a red flag for you.

Not to mention the Red Forest trees were buried in the ground covered with tons of sand. But now there's concern their slow process of decay underground will release radiated particles into the natural water ways in that region. Another red flag.

Also not to mention, when you see your tour guide carrying a Geiger counter (which they are required to on the tours) is yet another red flag that perhaps maybe you should have chose the Bahamas as your vacation choice rather than Chernobyl.

No, I'm fine with exposing myself (pardon the pun) to the whole Chernobyl incident through video - the documentaries, the HBO series. They were dishonest about the disaster and they are being dishonest about the tourist attraction. I fully understand the point you shouldn't explore locales only through video, but this one, I'll pass.

The very idea that something invisible is killing you like that, especially when very close to it is quite fascinating. The scenes when clearing the roof and the decimeters going mental was insane, totally reminded me of playing fallout.

Like a horror movie where you never see the bogeyman, only the consequences.

Very educational too for those of us who didn't really know what happened.

The courtroom breakdown of the reactor fault with the blue and red cards was a great and easy to understand lesson on the scientific nature of the meltdown.

You ready? You look ready.
That shot of the reactor going boom was done INSANELY well.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I wonder about the timing of the release of Chernobyl. Were HBO looking to limit the "fallout" from the disastrous finish of GOT by releasing this masterpiece around the same time? Even though most people know where to place the blame.

Chernobyl is currently rating at 9.7 / 10 on IMDB (not that IMDB should be THE barometer for everything). That makes it the highest rated television show of all time.

I'm sure it will settle down, and Chernobyl is good. Maybe even very good. But the greatest tv show of all time? Not for me. I think it will be filed as one of those "good but also overrated" shows.

I wonder about the timing of the release of Chernobyl. Were HBO looking to limit the "fallout" from the disastrous finish of GOT by releasing this masterpiece around the same time? Even though most people know where to place the blame.
It could just be coincidental considering several months ago when they greenlit the Chernobyl project, I would be surprised if they anticipated it was to be released to offset the GOT season 8 disaster. Chernobyl was released nearly the same date as GOT S8/E3 and up til then the first couple episodes of GOT Season 8 were getting decent ratings. It was episode 3 through 6 the ratings started plummeting.

But you never know, the HBO studio heads were most likely to see season 8 before it was aired and thought, "Oh my, this is going to be a disaster, we need to move up the release of Chernobyl."

I think it will be filed as one of those "good but also overrated" shows.
Where are you seeing it overrated?

Ahh, but that's what one would call rated, not overrated. 153,000 IMDB members rated it an average of 9.7. It would only be overrated if the members rated it, say, 8.0, but IMDB falsely displayed 9.7. Then that would be overrated.

Plus IMDB's 9.7 rating is not out of line with other rating services. RT members also have it rated at 9.6 and Metacritic users have it rated also at 9.6.

Back to IMDB, I like to look into the ratings breakdown. I always look at the average rating of the IMDB Top 1000 voters, who rated Chernobyl with an average of 9.0. These people spent years and a lot work earning a spot in the Top 1000 voters. They give details what it takes to earn a spot on the Top 1000 voters, I don't have a link, I just stumbled on it one day.

Ahh, but that's what one would call rated, not overrated. 153,000 IMDB members rated it an average of 9.7. It would only be overrated if the members rated it, say, 8.0, but IMDB falsely displayed 9.7.

Fair play that made me laugh.

I wouldn’t say this is a case of being overrated either...

Breaking Bad, for example, has a score of 9.5, which is less than Chernobyl, but it is also a show that has 1.2 million votes compared to Chernobyl which is around the one hundred and fifty-ish votes. So for BB to still hold a 9.5 after so many votes (and so many years since release) says more about the show’s quality than what IMDb currently says about Chernobyl.

So for a brand new mini-series, with only 5 episodes and 150K votes, this is not atypical if it’s a solid show. And Chernobyl is. And based on true events often also gives a show “that extra” for a lot of people. I mean just look at the real Chernobyl - people are flocking to the “tourist attraction” like crazy right now. The visits has gone up by 40% after the show ended....

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject...rom%20%251%24s

Russia wants to make its own documentary, apparently it was the CIA LMAO.

Wonder how they will portray "traitor" Legasov?

Could be an entertaining watch.

Finished the series yesterday (watched it in two days). There were some artistic liberties taken but as a whole I liked it a lot. I found it interesting that in many ways it was made exactly like a horror film (if it weren't based on true events some radiation monsters wouldn't have felt out of place). One of the best series I've seen in a while.

I was 10 when the actual accident happened and Soviet Union was just across the border. I wasn't old enough to fully understand what had happened but I remember the general concern in both media and people I knew.