The MoFo Support Group

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Not sure what dinner you are referring...
This one:

Things were worst when I went out to dinner with her family.
Unless there were more than one. Oh boy...!

I had to make excuses why I was not eating very much of the wedding dinner
Looks like those guys are really going too far. It's surprising they even let you marry her in the first place.
Something I suppose to do with my lack of speaking their language.
But they do speak your native language at least a little bit, right? A dinner with all the people sitting at the table speaking a language you don't know and ignoring you must be a nightmare.

No.

I could never approach my wife or her family with this problem as I felt so ashamed.
And now we see the consequences. I never had any scruples to ask, and you shouldn't have had any either.

Would your family accept me?
Does your family have a firm say on your life choices?
What do your parents expect from your potential spouse?

Are questions you should have asked before you got married, or even before you got serious. Other thing is after spending some time with her, you'd know the answers yourself. It wouldn't hurt to ask, though. Your conclusions might be deceptive.

Another thing is she would most probably had said yes to all these questions, even if the answer was no...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Where is bleak city?
Melbourne. ..and you a Sydneyite.
I like melb and Bris but haven't been to either for years.

I just scrolled back to find where bleak city was only to find Joel's experiences have been going since before February. Hang in there, Joel.

Sorry to hear. My son, although still struggling some, is much happier currently. He appears to be with someone he cares deeply for and I just got news I am going to be a grandpa (again - first from him). I hope yours has found something he is passionate about and if not doesnt stop looking until he does.

Sorry I took so long to reply. That is good of you to say. Congrats on becoming a grand dad again. Me still waiting. My boy is our only child. Other day he told me he is still waiting for Miss Right. So my wife and I will have a further wait to become grandparents.

@spookiemoviemania Have you ever straightforwardly asked her, though?

Do you think Asians are unreadable just to Westerners, or to other Asians too?

Those are cultural differences that are very hard to leap over.

On the one hand, you'd expect somebody you are marrying to be somebody you can be honest with and expect the very same from them. On the other hand, you have to try to respect and understand their culture, and the fact you come from two distinctively different backgrounds.

You're f*cked either way.

Move it or lose it, fella!

Well, it's possible to overcome it but the key is both sides wanting to, and both sides willing to give in a little bit. Congratulations on your perseverence!

Yep, to generalize a little bit, Asian girls' families are... specific.

Can't be sure what happened during that dinner but I surely do have ideas.

Props for coping with this for years. Some people say if you're marrying an Asian girl, you're in fact marrying her parents.

Have you ever had a conversation with your wife about it? Does she seem to support her parents and blindly take their side, or is she more supportive of you?
Dang! I KNEW there had to be some drawback to Asian girls!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Have you both considered counselling, spookie?

You ready? You look ready.
Reading this and the post that 7thson said about holding onto hate are really making me think that I need to confront my dad. Everything in italics is *word for word* how I feel about my own dad. I know how much it sucks. I, however, haven't shed a single tear over losing him...and I never will. I won't let him have that kind of power over me, but I'm really, really debating about laying it all down on my dad.
So like, my dad and I are pretty close now. Closer than we’ve ever been. He’s still an *******, yeah, but he has his moments.

And no kidding: college did more to repair my relationship with him than anything else. Obviously nine years is a long time but there was a lot I learned between ‘09-11 and I let him back in “the fold”. We talk every other day and it’s going to suck something fierce when I lose him.

Hopefully he doesn’t get hit by a bus like he always says...
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Is there anyone about that would be able to chat? About anything
Hope you're okay, JayDee.

This is Sexy Celebrity under a brand new name, just so you know.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
@JayDee let us know you're ok.
I'm ok in that I'm still here. That's all I can say at the moment. Thanks for all the offers to chat everyone.

Just want to vent: My car had repeated problems starting leaving me stranded.

Local mechanic said he could only fix a problem if engine light was on (it wasn't) or if car wasn't starting - but if it's not starting, then I couldn't bring it to him (and it's not like mechanics make house calls).

Got an oil change in the meantime as the car was starting intermittently - the Valvoline place said I needed a new engine belt, so I figured I trick the local mechanic into looking at the car by getting him to change the engine belt. He did and, $95.00 later, the car was starting - until the day it didn't and I was at the supermarket with a load of groceries.

Roadside assistance was a whole other story what with an incompetent dispatcher who put my zip code down as the vehicle's plate number.
Someone came to get me (and the groceries) so I was not with the car when tow truck came looking for it.
It took several phone calls & multiple attempts to get the car towed to the dealership (only place I could think of to take it since they claim to have the diagnostic equipment for their specific vehicles that local mechanics may not have).

Car was in the dealership service center for over a week: new starter put in, and after I told them it was always leaking oil, every time they called they found a new problem (valves, gaskets, power steering pump) that had to be repaired - ultimately the bill came out to over $2,250.00!

After eight days at the service center, I got it back yesterday. The representative left me with the comment that "it's a good car!"

Less than 24 hours later I drove the car to someone's house to do some work, upon completion it wouldn't start - had to call roadside assistance again and get it towed again (tow truck diver said it sounds like the fuel pump to him!)

What are my chances of the dealership taking any responsibility for their wrong diagnosis, their repairing something that didn't need repair, giving an allegedly repaired vehicle back and having it fail to start less than 24 hours later, and making up for it with some gratis parts and labor?

My guess is none. I anticipate a bill this time of 3 grand with the car incapacitated for 2 weeks (what with the holiday).

Any advice?

@Captain Steel I don't know if this will help...but I know of a couple people who have gotten the dealership to take care of faulty repairs. In your favor, you just had your car in for the SAME not starting problem that it has now. 'The squeaky wheel gets greased.' I'd call them ASAP and let them know your car has the SAME problem as what you brought it in for $2,250 worth of repairs (BUT I wouldn't accuse them of doing unnecessary repairs). Start out firm and have what you want to say planned out. KEEP COMPLAINING until they take the car back in.

I have my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it goes.