Tombstone

→ in
Tools    

I know I can be a bit slow when it comes to classics, but I finally watched Tombstone today for the first time. There's already a Val Kilmer thread(who has become one of my top 50 actors from that damn movie), however, I was wondering what you guys thought of the film, just for the film itself and in comparisons to westerns (those aren't usually my sorts of flicks, but I try to be as well rounded as possible).
Thoughts of yay or nay, reasons?

This is a great movie so is the untouchables.
I found some of the story the same.
.Group Forms
.Group's Uprise
.Groups Downfall
.Final Shootout
.Remaining group members have happy ending.

I too am a bit slow. I watched "Tombstone" for the first time about a month ago. I had seen "Wyatt Earp" when it first came out, and was leery of watching what I thought would be the same movie with just a different title. Two different movies completely. I was also a bit unsure of how good a Wyatt Earp that Kurt Russel would be. Watch "Overboard" and try to picture him as a sheriff in a western setting. I was wrong. They couldn't have picked a better actor for the role. When he stands there and slaps Billy Bob Thornton silly and then drawls, "Well, are you gonna do something, or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?" is a classic.

Val Kilmer's slurring of every one-liner is outrageously epic. I don't know if the real Doc Holliday talked like that or not, but if he didn't, then he should have. "That's just my game." Superb in my humble opinion.

Doc was my favorite character for sure. Just the way he did things (and being a sicky but still being a bad ass was amazing "I'll be your huckleberry" and a piano player just so great).
Maybe one of the most quotable films ever ("I want your blood and I want your souls..."). Just so great

Yeah...Kilmer is awesome as the "DOC")

They've been showing both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp a fair bit lately on British TV. I wasn't as familiar with the latter but I have seen more of it now and it certainly pales in comparison.

Of course Wyatt Earp takes a real warts-and-all approach to the characters who are generally a lot more heroic and idealized in Tombstone. I much prefer the actors in Tombstone and find Kevin Costner a difficult Earp to believe – maybe because he's trying to play the man over decades and it's very unconvincing. Kurt Russell, by contrast, has everything but especially authority. Val Kilmer's so enjoyable to watch and what I really appreciate is how cold-blooded Doc is. He doesn't even need to be fast; being without nerves is enough. I really like Dennis Quaid's performance though in Wyatt Earp but what I dislike is that there's no real sense of how dangerous Doc is, and there's no proper climactic battle in Costner's film.

As for me, I’m a fan but don’t consider it a favorite and won’t be voting for it for the countdown.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Tombstone is a tough call, cause I like a lot of the build up, but then
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
When Wyatt Earp and his 'immortals' go on their quest to eradicate all the Cowboys, it's done in montages, so is that bad, when it comes to your big third act pay off, or is that good and montages are fine for that?