Movies you couldn't even finish.

Tools    

Yeah, I agree with Gilliam's take on Schindler's, even if I know many who've seen the film don't. I just couldn't really accept Spielberg's naive childish imaginings of what the holocaust is about. I'm not sure if I still could.

I was once a Spielberg fan. His peppy candy-floss Hollywood schmuck amused me for a while with all its splendor and spectacle, but when it comes to capturing historical events, particularly one of such grotesque inhumanity, I drew the line and couldn't stomach his nonsense.

Ya'll are blowing my mind right now.

Yeah, Fury Road is high octane, to be sure. But it's also a brilliant example of visual storytelling and for all the intense action it manages to build heartfelt relationships between multiple pairings of characters (Max and Furiosa, Max and Nux, Nux and Capable). Moreover, it makes a powerful argument for empathy as the saving element of civilization.

The original Mad Max is a really different beast. Its setting is of a society that is already sliding into social breakdown. There's a police force, but they are losing ground. There are still hallmarks of civilization (like the ice cream shop), but the overall structure is crumbling. In many ways, the lower budget look of it kind of serves the story it's telling. Society is sliding into a place that is gritty and unpleasant. It doesn't happen with fantastical fireworks or bad guys in elaborate costumes. It's just the slow transfer of power to those who aren't afraid to prey on the vulnerable.

I'm not going to police what anyone finds boring or unengaging, but the idea of disliking Fury Road in particular . . . I don't know. With a lot of movies I like I can imagine why someone else might not enjoy them, but Fury Road is on a list of films for me where I just can't see that point of view.

Unfortunately for me, I have a completist curse. I tend to finish everything I start--books, movies, shows. And sadly, most films that I don't like in the first 20 minutes . . . I still don't like 80 minutes later.

I did bail on the film The Future after about 15 minutes because it was just so obvious that
WARNING: spoilers below
the self-centered characters were going to be irresponsible and the cat was going to die
and the thought of it made me so mad I couldn't watch the rest of the movie. Especially because it was meant to be funny as, like, a parody of self-centered millennials or something. No thanks.

Very confusing German movie. One hour in & 2+ hours to go, I had had enough.

Very confusing German movie. One hour in & 2+ hours to go, I had had enough.
Did you get far enough into the film to learn why all the characters only have one eye?

Tried to watch this 20 years & made it halfway through. Same thing happened this week. What weakened it for me, among other things, was the Cherry Jones arc. Unnecessary.

Interesting up to a point, but didn’t watch the entire thing.

The Notebook! I tried 3x 😫

Light of My Life (2019)

An absolute bore fest.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Into The Wild (2007):
Beautiful Cinematography, great soundtrack, and a good morality tale. But the main character Just seems very bitter and full of himself at times. Great concept but should’ve been told better then it was.