21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

I haven't seen Pretty Baby yet, but I'm surprised at the reactions so far....I wonder what I'm going to think???
Brooke Shields plays a child prostitute and has a few nude scenes - which would be fine if the character was being played by a young looking adult, but she was only 12 years old at the time.

Brooke Shields plays a child prostitute and has a few nude scenes - which would be fine if the character was being played by a young looking adult, but she was only 12 years old at the time.
I knew that. Question for you and Cricket: do you object to the subject mater of a 12 year old prostitute? What about Jodi Foster in Taxi? Or is it something else about the movie you both don't like. Cricket said it should be banned which really surprised me (though I haven't seen it).

I almost nominated Seven Samurai, but decided it may have been too long to watch for everyone.
HOF rules state nominations cannot exceed 220 minutes. Seven Samurai's runtime, as listed on IMDb, falls at 207 minutes so it's pushing the limits but would still qualify.

I won the 13th HOF with Dances With Wolves. The theatrical cut of that is 3 hours long, but at least one participant watched the 4 hour extended cut, which even I haven't seen. I think if the movie is good enough, then the length won't hinder it too much.

Incidentally I watched Seven Samurai for the 50s countdown. I rated it a
- and had it at #11 on my countdown ballot. I don't love it but I think it might do well in a HOF.

I knew that. Question for you and Cricket: do you object to the subject mater of a 12 year old prostitute? What about Jodi Foster in Taxi? Or is it something else about the movie you both don't like. Cricket said it should be banned which really surprised me (though I haven't seen it).
I don't object to a movie being made about a child prostitute. I object to a child doing nude scenes in a movie about a child prostitute.

I don't think any subject should be off limits to filmmakers provided it's done in a way that does not exploit or abuse children or abuse animals.

HOF rules state nominations cannot exceed 220 minutes. Seven Samurai's runtime, as listed on IMDb, falls at 207 minutes so it's pushing the limits but would still qualify.

I won the 13th HOF with Dances With Wolves. The theatrical cut of that is 3 hours long, but at least one participant watched the 4 hour extended cut, which even I haven't seen. I think if the movie is good enough, then the length won't hinder it too much.

Incidentally I watched Seven Samurai for the 50s countdown. I rated it a
- and had it at #11 on my countdown ballot. I don't love it but I think it might do well in a HOF.
It's 240 minutes in this and the last HoF. Of course each host can choose to alter that time frame and also exceptions can always be made. Personally I think a longer movie is fine, as long as the person nominating it believes in the film and that person doesn't drop out!

I don't object to a movie being made about a child prostitute. I object to a child doing nude scenes in a movie about a child prostitute.

I don't think any subject should be off limits to filmmakers provided it's done in a way that does not exploit or abuse children or abuse animals.
OK. What if there was a nude 12 year old in a movie but not doing a prostitute scene? Would that change the way you feel?

I'm just curious. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything like that...and I've objected to a couple of films along the same basis myself so I'm wondering how people view things. Hmm I sound like Iron Pony today

It's 240 minutes in this and the last HoF. Of course each host can choose to alter that time frame and also exceptions can always be made. Personally I think a longer movie is fine, as long as the person nominating it believes in the film and that person doesn't drop out!
Oh, totally didn't notice that. I think it was 220 prior to that. I know it was 220 when I hosted. Still the point remains that long movies can fair well in a HOF, provided they're strong enough and have a broad enough appeal to get the necessary points.

Oh, totally didn't notice that. I think it was 220 prior to that. I know it was 220 when I hosted. Still the point remains that long movies can fair well in a HOF, provided they're strong enough and have a broad enough appeal to get the necessary points.
Yes you're right it was 220 for many HoFs. In the earlier HoFs it was 240. As far as I know no one has ever wanted to nominate a movie much longer than 4 hours.

Totally agree with you that:
long movies can fair well in a HOF, provided they're strong enough and have a broad enough appeal to get the necessary points.

OK. What if there was a nude 12 year old in a movie but not doing a prostitute scene? Would that change the way you feel?
It would depend entirely on the context. For example, there is some child nudity in Schindler's List, but because of the context it doesn't bother me.

I'm just curious. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything like that...and I've objected to a couple of films along the same basis myself
Which movies were those? The only one I can recall that might fall under that descriptor is Call Me By Your Name, in which a 22 year old Timothée Chalamet played a 17 year old.

I haven't seen Pretty Baby yet, but I'm surprised at the reactions so far....I wonder what I'm going to think???
I think I told you in a PM that several people will hate the film due to that underaged nudity alone. I get that it's a touchy subject and obviously that controversy plays a major role in why I chose this particular film. The only thing that's surprised me this far is @cricket with his demand for a ban.

Personally I have no issue with Brooke Shields on this. It's quite apparent that she (and her parents) were fine with it so who am I to judge. I'm a firm believer in artistic freedom and I also think that individuals should be free to do as they choose as long as they don't harm others (again, moral annoyance isn't harming).

I need to watch Pretty Baby tonight!
It would depend entirely on the context. For example, there is some child nudity in Schindler's List, but because of the context it doesn't bother me.

Which movies were those? The only one I can recall that might fall under that descriptor is Call Me By Your Name, in which a 22 year old Timothée Chalamet played a 17 year old.
I was planning on including the HoF movies with child nudity that I objected to in one way or another in my review of Pretty Baby. I'm sure I won't forget, but if I do ask me again. I'll try to watch Pretty Baby tonight.

Pixote - nom'd Cricket
Child Bride - nom'd Pahak

I would like a no underage nudity rule in future Hall of Fames, this is the third time it's happened in the last 18 months

Pixote - nom'd Cricket
Child Bride - nom'd Pahak

I would like a no underage nudity rule in future Hall of Fames, this is the third time it's happened in the last 18 months
Child Bride was one of films that I objected to the film maker's intentions BUT I didn't object to Pahak choosing it. In fact I thought it was an interesting nom. I kind of liked Pixote and that wasn't a film I was thinking about.