What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

Tools    

It's the documentary Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills for me. Besides the crime, it's disturbing for the way it reveals how corrupt the American legal system can be.

Oh, and nice User ID. Fields of the Nephilim are one of my favorite bands.

Fight Club

The truth is in here
The most disturbing movie I have ever seen is A Serbian Film. To date, it's the only horror movie that was so scary that I had haunting mental images in my head for weeks.

The most depressing one however is a tie-up between Virgin Suicides and Utøya: July 22. Virgin Suicide made me feel something I never had before. I felt physically queasy afterwards due to how hopeless and bleak it was. It gives Lars Von Trier a serious run for his money.

Utøya: July 22 made me cry so uncontrollably I couldn't contain myself. Mostly when I start sobbing over media it's not this over-the-top, but this time I was literally that cliché of a person who cries like a maniac. It's stunning how impactful this movie was.

I just checked that out on youtube (entire film is there; it's not available anywhere else in streaming land that I could find). The translation engine is down (when I try to enable it, I get a COVID-19 warning that no staff is around to police it), so I have no idea what they're saying, but what I don't understand is that the warning in the film shows up immediately after the most shocking scene, not before it. If I have the right scene.

Gaspar Noe doesn't impress me; he's basically just gross. Nothing more than a puerile behaving 12 year old masquerading as a grown up director.

I’m interested now, I can only see a 39min version on YouTube is this the one???

i heard The Perfection made a lot of people puke.
Overall, I'd say it's worth a watch, particularly if you walk in blind. Without giving away too much, it does have some disturbing imagery, but I'd say it's more weird with a pinch of unsettling.

Salo... that is the be all and end all i guess. Or Cannibal Holocaust! More disgusting than disturbing!

The truth is in here
Cannibal Holocaust is a great film. It is disgusting yes, but it's an excellent bleak portrayal of how depraved humans can get, to the point where you are worse than the ones you condemn. The documentary filmmakers disturbed me almost more than the cannibals at times.

It only gets disgusting in a bad way when it comes to the animal abuse. Thank God there are actually some harsher restrictions against that nowadays. I felt so bad for that poor turtle.

Cannibal Holocaust is a great film. It is disgusting yes, but it's an excellent bleak portrayal of how depraved humans can get, to the point where you are worse than the ones you condemn. The documentary filmmakers disturbed me almost more than the cannibals at times.
"I wonder who the real cannibals are."

I think I harped about this a couple of pages ago, but the film hammered that point way too much. I mean, we get it. No need to put it in bold and underline it. Anyway, like I said before, I don't hate the film but the way it handles its message is hypocritical since it engages in the same excesses it tries to denounce, but well.

Ive said this many times on other forums, but the most interesting thing about Cannibal Holocaust is it's total hypocrisy. It's a disgrace on so many levels, even if it is a competently made potent cocktail of a film. But it's so full of **** it's painful in lots of other ways

The most disturbing movie I've seen in recent years is Hole in my Heart. I'm sure in the age of the internet we can find lots worse in a blink, but it felt so empty and depraved I felt nauseous days after I saw it. It's a really tough watch, especially if it catches you off guard

The truth is in here
The hypocrisy does hurt the film's integrity, but looking at just the product itself I think the point comes across well. "I wonder who the real cannibals are" might sound like a cheesy line to some, but I think the dramatic impact would lessen if it wasn't in there.

Unregistered User
I’m interested now, I can only see a 39min version on YouTube is this the one???

Not looked but I Stand Alone is over 90mins long so that wont be the version to watch. I hope you do find it as I think its excellent. Its more depressing than it is disturbing but worth looking out for.

The hypocrisy does hurt the film's integrity, but looking at just the product itself I think the point comes across well. "I wonder who the real cannibals are" might sound like a cheesy line to some, but I think the dramatic impact would lessen if it wasn't in there.

The animal stuff is what hurts the films integrity. The hypocrisy actually makes the film work in some demented way. A film about a film crew who goes into the Amazon to tsktsk their violent ways, who then they themselves becomes violent to teach us a lesson about our own ugliness, meanwhile the actual people making the movie about these filmmakers is indulging in the worst behavior known in cinematic history, torturing animals and abusing the natives. I don't really need a movie to lecture me about who the cannibals are, as you said that is almost a cliche at this point. But to see them actually sink into the same moral morass they are condemning, that's kind of interesting. And the movie is fairly well made.

But it also just makes me too angry to justify beyond talking about it in theory. The fact that it actually exists and its creators did these things, is a pretty big issue with me.

Ultimately, what's done is done though, and as said, thankfully they have tightened the restrictions on filming this kind of thing since. It can be an upsetting artifact now at how far a film crew might chase it's 'muse' into total incomprehensibility.

The truth is in here
I was referring to the animal cruelty with hypocrisy. However, are you sure they actually abused the natives? Weren't they just actors too?

Cannibal Holocaust has a haunting OST. For a short period of time 'Adulteress Punishment' was my mobile's ringtone. And whenever my phone rang in the crowded local train, every once a while I would get some stranger looking at me in shock and then flash a smile, which meant he had seen the movie. A fun social experiment that.

On a side note, 'A Serbian Film' still remains the most disturbing movie for me. But Jagten the Hunt really messed with my head, cause I am always friendly with kids and that movie kinda made me vary of them.

I was referring to the animal cruelty with hypocrisy. However, are you sure they actually abused the natives? Weren't they just actors too?
Most of the extras were actual natives from the region. I think the DVD extras features interviews where they talk about the treatment of the natives and how they weren't paid for their work.

EDIT: Here is an article about the production and filming woes...

The Making of Cannibal Holocaust was Just as Nasty as the Film Itself

The truth is in here
That's incredibly unfortunate. There are few things I hate more than the director treating their actors with such little respect. Be grateful they are there to work for you, don't just take it for granted. Bernardo Bertolucci is perhaps the biggest ass hole of all when it comes to seeing his actors as pawns rather than recognizing that they want to be treated like people. A director's vision should never go before safety and dignity.

It only gets disgusting in a bad way when it comes to the animal abuse. Thank God there are actually some harsher restrictions against that nowadays. I felt so bad for that poor turtle.
I agree!

That's incredibly unfortunate. There are few things I hate more than the director treating their actors with such little respect. Be grateful they are there to work for you, don't just take it for granted. Bernardo Bertolucci is perhaps the biggest ass hole of all when it comes to seeing his actors as pawns rather than recognizing that they want to be treated like people. A director's vision should never go before safety and dignity.
Words of wisdom. But there are always exceptions

The most disturbing movie I've seen in recent years is Hole in my Heart. I'm sure in the age of the internet we can find lots worse in a blink, but it felt so empty and depraved I felt nauseous days after I saw it. It's a really tough watch, especially if it catches you off guard
This one?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381682/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0