Christian Road Movie

Tools    

I typically hate religious films; poor acting, plot, dialogue, too preachy, etc. Just no fun as a movie. However, I recall having watched a relatively good one maybe close to a decade ago (most definitely on VHS, so probably before 2004) in which a woman takes her father on a road trip, essentially kidnapping him from the home/hospital in which he is staying. There may have been a minor criminal element, but I really cannot recall.

I don't expect anybody to know this one, so I'll be posting it on the boards at IMDb, as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't exactly recall that flick although it sounds semi-memorable. By far the best "religious" film ever made is Elmer Gantry. I recommend that flick to EVERYONE, especially those who think they're far-too sophisticated. Trust me (or not, it won't change reality), Elmer Gantry is way more interesting and entertaining than most of YOU are (including me), and it has a much greater grasp on current events and life as you think you know it than you do. That's the truth, Ruth.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I don't understand the complaint about Religious films. Black Narcissus? The Last Temptation of Christ? The Bishop's Wife? All great stuff...

Also - whats this 2004 VHS business? DVDs had been around for almost a decade by then...

Semper Fooey
I think he is talking about Christian movies made for the evangelical movement that are low budget and usually not distributed in theaters. You flip through those Christian stations and you might catch one. They are usually very preachy and only interesting to people who watch those stations regularly.

I would not call The Last Temptation of Christ a religious film. Religious people sure don't like it. But anyway, yeah, I think Will's explanation is helpful; when I hear "religious film" I usually think about one made by religious people, often explicitly for religious people, rather than a film which just touches on the same subject matter. I wouldn't call Frailty or Dogma religious films, for example.

Also - whats this 2004 VHS business? DVDs had been around for almost a decade by then...
I didn't exactly get the first DVD player on the market; indeed, I still prefer VHS to DVD, and greatly more so than Blu-Ray. I find that each new generation becomes less and less reliable. For instance, I can still find 20+ year old VHS's that are in perfect working order - even rented/library ones - but after only three or four years of being on the shelves, library DVDs rarely work; I even have problems with year old Blu Rays - the slightest scratch and they become defective. The librarian said pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, I found out the title: Road to Redemption.