Movie Tab II

Tools    

Arresting your development

I like the story line & love the beat down scene in the diner!

history *is* moralizing
i liked it too!

Can we try with real bullets now?
The Last Waltz - I really enjoyed this movie, Martin Scorsese directing groovy clothes from the 70's and very pretty music

American Psycho - first viewing and thought it was great

Roadkill Thought it was pretty much Duel with a teen spin, so not too bad. Wasn't too keen on the ending though. 3/5

A system of cells interlinked
Eraserhead (Lynch, 1977)

Finally, I have completed the Lynch cannon. This film was....frippin bizzare, to borrow a term from a local. SO visceral... When I was a young boy, I used to have this weird nightmare, where I was in this dark, oily slick maze, and in the distance I could hear barely audible whispers and talking, and strange machinery grinding away. It used to scare the hell out of me, as I wandered aimlessly, looking around, listening, with the weird feeling that I was in danger, but not knowing what the danger was. Just a weird, oily-dark feeling of dread. Somehow, Lynch captured this feeling on film, and his nightmare vision seemed way too familiar. A few times while watching, my skin would crawl, while the dark machinery of Lynch's dystopic vision chugged along in front of me. The sound engineering in the film reproduced the weird distant voices and strange sounds I remember from my dream. Lynch successfully transfered a nightmare to celluloid. A nightmare somewhat similar to one I used to have.

Now, that is good cinema!! I will be purchasing a copy of my childhood fears from Mr. Lynch's website.

Dawn Of The Dead
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Sedai
Eraserhead
how did you like the song? i've got three versions of it, one by the old American-European underground band Tuxedomoon. wow, yeah, real bizarre, even scary, and sick like for example Cronenberg's movies can make one too. "in heaven (...)"

me , yesterday, twas:

Leon, L. Besson 1994, never, ever, could i get enough of Natalie Portman...

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
how did you like the song? i've got three versions of it, one by the old American-European underground band Tuxedomoon. wow, yeah, real bizarre, even scary, and sick like for example Cronenberg's movies can make one too. "in heaven (...)"

me , yesterday, twas:

Leon, L. Besson 1994, never, ever, could i get enough of Natalie Portman...
Song...The one that plays for the lady in the radiator? Can't quite remember it. The part with the strange dude pulling the levers was CREEPY and unnerving, I loved it!!

history *is* moralizing
Song...The one that plays for the lady in the radiator? Can't quite remember it. The part with the strange dude pulling the levers was CREEPY and unnerving, I loved it!!
well i saw that movie more than 10 years ago, but i think they are like on stage, there's this song, and there are those worms they keep treading on...

Eraserhead (Lynch, 1977)

"I walk around the house - drunk
I'm wearing women's slippers
Man, I must be a sight to behold
But I'm not quite sure, I lost my mirror
and the pizza I ordered offers no reflection

I walk around the house
I think about the people who have fouled me
and therefore should die
But then I think of all the interesting crafts
you can make with toilet paper rolls

Once a year I get drunk in a darkened house - for a week
I get drunk and watch...Eraserhead
as I think we all do sometimes
It's my vacation
Once a year I have a little black & white drunkathon:
no phones, not a single luxury
My horoscope has been suspended
Loud, industrial noises

The first three days I just watch
Well, I drink and watch...Eraserhead
The third and fourth day I usually find myself pacing
circling the TV, looking at the glow from behind
I'll pause for a pizza
I won't eat it, I just order it to prove I'm still in control

Eraserhead

By the end of the week, I interact with this
majestic little film
Not so much words as gesticulations
I kiss the screen
I rub my buttered belly on the screen
as I think we all do sometimes

I roam around the house
the darkened, drunkened house
Sometimes, and this has got to be about an hour before dawn
I put a rose up my bum
You know, the business-end sticking out
And I sort of improvise a playful dance in my surroundings
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la-Eraserhead

If you were there in my house
you could follow a trail of those rose petals
and they would lead to me
Curled up in a fetal position, quivering, crying
my teeth chattering
Industrial Eraserhead-type noises
coming from inside me
And as you picked me up and wrapped me in a blanket
my vacation would be complete

This behavior might disturb me
if Eraserhead weren't such a fine little film
Dontchya' think?"

- "Eraserhead" by Bruce McCulloch, Shame-Based Man
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Humphrey Bogart Night on TCM

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
(d. John Huston - 1948)

The Maltese Falcon
(d. John Huston - 1941)

Casablanca
(d. Michael Curtiz - 1942)

Seven Samurai Three sitting later, and i've finally finished it. My second Kurosawa flick, need to see some more. Quite suprised that they've left in the break, though it did give it a quaint little charm. 4.5/5

Pyro

RE: Tetsuo. I started to watch this once, but found it to be just too over the top and gory for my taste. Some like it better than Eraserhead, but to me, it doesn't even come close to any of Lynch's stuff. Lynch can disturb subtlely, which is something I really dig, while tetsuo was just over-the-top shock scenes. I got the message about machines, but felt no urge to actually finish the film. I did watch it in the original japanese on some crusty VCR tape, so maybe a decent transfer and some subs would help, but I doubt it.... I guess I just like Lynch's sort of surreal floaty darkness as opposed to in my face, ****hammer darkness....

Thanks for the rec, though....

Oh, and I am not saying it's a bad film, just that I didn't care for it...

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Seven Samurai Three sitting later, and i've finally finished it. My second Kurosawa flick, need to see some more. Quite suprised that they've left in the break, though it did give it a quaint little charm. 4.5/5
What's up with the three sittings? Ants biting your bum?

"...quaint little charm." - I oughta slap you.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
What's up with the three sittings? Ants biting your bum?

"...quaint little charm." - I oughta slap you.
I think Pyro likes it rough...

instead take his dvds away!

history *is* moralizing
Killing Me Softly, 2001, banal, knew how it would end after 1/2 an hour, and H. Graham's definitely not my type, so... nothing

The People's Republic of Clogher
Shallow Grave (1994, Danny Boyle)

4/5

Three Yuppies with no redeeming qualities find a case full of cash. With extremely tense consequences...

Excellent pre-Trainspotting effort from Danny Boyle (his debut feature). Such a pity that the director and the movie's star Ewan McGregor aren't on speaking terms thesedays - there's a certain sequel to a certain Irvine Welsh novel that needs making.

I am having a nervous breakdance
The Hudsucker Proxy (1994 - Joel Coen)

First time for me... I saw some Brazil in there together with the nods to 40s and 50s american cinema. I always like the Coen brothers' films but I very often find that the characters don't succeed to be emotionally engaging for me. And this was no exception.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.