Ghost Dog

→ in
Tools    

Since I have the new title of Critic I think I will review some stuff.

I think this movie is stupid.

I beg to differ. The movie was not a conventional action flick with big budget and all but I like the- what's the word- serreal ?? of it. The movie was very much in the same theme category of 'Assasin' and 'The professional' but it was more 'realistic' - my opnion anyway.

==========SPOILER============

I LOVE the bit ... about 15 min into the movie when the black dude tried to rob this supposely old Asian guy.. and got his arse kicked.! hahahaha, that was funny!!

-Exc

GHOST DOG (8/10)
Another absolute gem from Jim Jaramusch(Dead Man). This film was breath takingly original, I loved the ways of the samurai being portrayed onscreen from such a spiritual side. This film encapsulates everything martial arts is about, even if it doesnt deliver it in a conventional, in your face manner.
I will go out on a limb & say this is the best martial arts film to come out of the U.S ever, the only one that even partially captures the essence of any of the asian martial arts film that I love.
Ghost Dog is a truly a tale of one mans moral code, a code that has been obeyed for thousands of years, a code that is black & white,Right & Wrong & above all old as opposed to the new. New being the modern amoral world that this work of art is set in.
Try watching it again from the perspective of gaining knowledge on the true ways of the Samurai.

Did you read that review somewhere? I read something like that in the first place and it made me rent it. That's not what the movie is about. It has nothing to do with the movie at all.

Some guy who is or is maybe a wanna be hitman walks around, eats ice cream, reads a book and gives it to a little kid. Some people get shot, the guy has rules he lives by. The end. My score 3/10

My favorite martial arts is about movie is Best of the Best 2 or 1 I forget. It made me cry.

No, Im just a huge martial arts fan. To see what Im talking about with Ghost Dog check some Hong Kong martial arts filma that focus just as much on the living martial arts as they do on the combat side, there are literally hundreds. Some I really like are

Tsui Harks Once Upon A Time In China series
Tsui Harks The Blade (not with Wesley Snipes, though that wasnt bad mindless entertainment)
StormRiders & Andrew Lau's A Man Called Hero
Fist Of Legend choreographed by the guy who did The Matrix but with better fights & Jet Li.

Thats just 5 but all have inventive action sequences & also a strong moral message with insights into asian philosophy & that of the martial arts themselves. Martial Arts that have only really been shown to the west in the last 40 years but have existed in asia for centuries.

I love Ghost dog. it is more realistic then other martial art movies and hitman assasin's movies. The best assasin is one that can blend into society and you won't even know he is someone different until you bite the bullets. Ghost dog was such person, he reads books, he eats ice cream and he raise pigeons. His is so anonymous that when the price was put on his head, NO ONE beside his 'retainer' knew who he was. Even to the point when he drove the car up to the mansion. That's the reality behind hitman.

I have seen a LOT of martial art movies, Once upon a time in China 1-4, Blade(The chinese one), Most of Jet Li's movies, StormRider (disappointing), Man called Hero, Most if not all of Jackie's - those were aimed at portraying the movie as a martial art movie. Ghost dog wasn't.

To try and class Ghost dog as a martial art movie is like trying to class Philladelphia as a 'gay' movie.

-Exc

Interesting perspective DoomsDay. I too personally dont think of this film as a traditional Martial Arts film anymore than Three Kings is a traditional war film.Ghost Dog is a film about living to a code, rooted in the way of the Samurai, much as Akira Kurosawas films were.(Ran,Kagumusha).
Hence its a study of the martial arts way of life in a contemporary world, much the same as Three Kings was about life in a contemporary war.
You know your stuff as well Doomsday.