The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Tools    

Which Movie Most Deserves a Spot in the Hall of Fame?
5.97%
4 votes
City Lights (1931)
8.96%
6 votes
Duck Soup (1933)
34.33%
23 votes
Psycho (1960)
0%
0 votes
The Producers (1968)
4.48%
3 votes
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
0%
0 votes
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
2.99%
2 votes
RoboCop (1987)
2.99%
2 votes
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
7.46%
5 votes
American History X (1998)
19.40%
13 votes
The Big Lebowski (1998)
4.48%
3 votes
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
8.96%
6 votes
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
67 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Let the night air cool you off
Congrats to the following, they were drawn to be long term members:
The Usual Suspect
HitchFan97
donniedarko
teeter_g
The Rodent

The Nominees are:

City Lights (1931, Charlie Chaplin)

Nominated by: jal90

Duck Soup (1933, Leo McCarey)

I nominate this since I believe it's the greatest comedy ever made. The Marx Brothers perfect the art of slapstick and puns. Despite being 80 years old, a near imitation doesn't exist, and the experience has not been re-created. The insane stunts this pulls, and how they're pulled, makes this a near perfect comedy. That's why I believe this should be in the MoFo hall of fame.

Nominated by: donniedarko

Psycho (1960, Alfred Hitchcock)

It's pretty well known on here how much I love this film, so I'll try to keep my comments brief. Anyways, Psycho was the movie that hooked me on (good) movies, and to this day I never tire of it. Forget the enormous influence it's had; this is still the most subversive and devilishly entertaining thriller ever made. It's also a great black comedy and contains some of Hitchcock's most astute social commentary. Watch carefully for what the Master is saying about secrets, lies, and the masks we all wear.

Nominated by: HitchFan97

The Producers (1968, Mel Brooks)

Nominated by: The Gunslinger45

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984, Hayao Miyazaki)

Voted the greatest animated film of all time by a poll of hundreds of thousands of anime fans in 2007 and by a poll of Japanese critics in 2009, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind represents a historical landmark in animation, by telling a complex science fiction story dealing with the relationship between man and nature using a medium usually reserved for more simplistic endeavours. Considered by many to be Miyazaki's masterpiece and a triumph of imagination, Nausicaä is a must see for anyone who seeks to be familiar with the wider canon of film.

Nominated by: Guaporense

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985, Woody Allen)

Just tons and tons of fun, great original concept pulled off with style, with brilliant trademark Woody Allen writing. Simultaneously a sharp indictment of the film industry and a love letter to film itself. Unafraid to subvert expectations and delve into incredibly bittersweet territory towards the end.

Nominated by: Skepsis93

RoboCop (1987, Paul Verhoeven)

Not just an ultraviolent actioner, it's a spookily realistic view of the future to the point it's bordering foresight.

The portrayal of humanity and its faults and also the strength of the human soul and the strong character connection based on the relationship between Murphy, his family/history and between Murphy and Lewis.

Haunting soundtrack and a haunting story overall played out through talented filmmakers and actors.
Plus the special effects are better than most that are seen in modern times.

Nominated by: The Rodent

Farewell My Concubine (1993, Kaige Chen)

Why it should be nominated: It's an epic movie rich in both Chinese culture and history. Add to that beautiful cinematography and a moving story of friendship and loyalty makes for a truely wonderful film.

Nominated by: Godoggo

American History X (1998, Tony Kaye)

Nominated by: teeter_g

The Big Lebowski (1998, Ethan & Joel Coen)

A hilarious neo noir comedy that is the ultimate cult classic. Full of memorable lines, characters and sequences. Possibly one of the greatest performances put to screen with Jeff Bridges as The Dude, or His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Nominated By: The Usual Suspect

Eyes Wide Shut (1999, Stanley Kubrick)

I'm nominating Eyes Wide Shut (1999), because it's really underappreciated and because I'd like to watch it again. I also think that the people who are watching it for a second time will appreciate its great visuals and its wonderful atmosphere even more!

Nominated by: Cobpyth

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004, Michael Gondry)

The greatest performance I've ever seen out of an actress: Kate Winslet in Titanic...jk, Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. She's great as the manic depressive Clementine in Michael Gondry and Charlie Kaufman's highly original sci-fi/romance/drama.

Nominated by: jiraffejustin

I've seen nine already, I thought it would be much less. I'll try to watch the other 3 ASAP, and using my discretion I'll be rewatching five (including mine), since the rest I've viewed within this year, or as far as Eyes Wide Shut seen plenty of times. So yes exciting. But I'm confused, I thought we were doing a ranking system, not a poll.

EDIT: and it appears you included my description into Hitchfans nomination.

Holy Hell we got some damn good movies to choose from!
That's the truth. I've seen 9 out of the 12, and I like/love all 9 of them. I can't wait to revisit them all. I also can't wait to see The Purple Rose of Cairo, RoboCop, and Farewell My Concubine all for the first time.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
3 of those films are in my top ten!!!!

Also, you use the Duck Soup explanation for Psycho.

Suspect's Reviews

But I'm confused, I thought we were doing a ranking system, not a poll.
The public poll acts as an equal vote to our ranked votes, that way the general public will have some interest in this too. We still send in our ranked votes too. We also get to vote in the poll. We pretty much have it made.

The public poll acts as an equal vote to our ranked votes, that way the general public will have some interest in this too. We still send in our ranked votes too. We also get to vote in the poll. We pretty much have it made.
So votes in the poll (which is for anyone) contiributes points to the tally. Ok cool was just wondering.

Edit: Also to poll voters have to see every film as well?

Has anyone in the group not seen my movie? Just curious.
I've seen it. I didn't vote for it.

Edit: Also to poll voters have to see every film as well?
That would be preferable, but there is no way to police it. So, it will be a thing where if they haven't seen all of them and they vote anyway, they will have recurring nightmares for years to come.

My image is done f**ked up, and I didn't know we were using posters anyway. You can replace it with this one if you like, jj.

http://www.impawards.com/1985/poster...e_of_cairo.jpg
I replaced it, hopefully we won't have anymore trouble with it. I decided to use posters on a whim, I don't know why really. I just like posters.

so if I don't have a say in anything that is going on, do I still vote? this is really confusing to me.....
Yep, you can still vote in the poll.

You should also sign up for the next round

Edit: This is the MoFo hall of fame, so every MoFo'er has a say.