The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've seen both of those. Like both too. I just watched Grand Hotel last week. I requested the DVD from my library for this countdown, only it took like 4 months to get the DVD. So by time I watched it my list was already done and it was too late. Grand Hotel was a groundbreaking movie, one of this very first to have an all-star ensemble cast, and one of the very first to tell multiple intermixed story lines.

Didn't get to see Camille (couldn't locate a copy), did get round to Grand Hotel though (and quite enjoyed it once the initial quarter of an hour or so was out of the way) so finally I've actually seen one on the countdown

Seen: 1/6 (yay, finally no more waiting for a cherry to be popped on this countdown)
My list: - (did it even arrive? )

Thanks! I'm glad people are liking it. I've only seen one so far, The Charge of the Light Brigade.
I love the story David Niven told about the making of this movie in Bring On The Empty Horses (incidentally one of the many awesome phrases to come out of Curtiz's mouth), about him losing his s**t with people gently chuckling about his use of "poodles" (puddles) and he apparently screamed at them:

"YOU PEOPLE THINK I KNOW F**K NOTHING! LET ME TELL YOU I KNOW F**K ALL!!!"

...did get round to Grand Hotel though (and quite enjoyed it once the initial quarter of an hour or so was out of the way)...
I felt the same way. I started watching Grand Hotel and like you said the first 15 minutes were a bit dry, so I shut it off and saved it for another night when I hoped to have more patience But after the initial 15 minutes the film gets interesting and I was hooked. I didn't realize Joan Crawford was so petite until I seen this cast photo:

I watched Camille in July and liked it. I probably would have liked it better if I could have warmed up to Greta Garbo a little more.

I watched Grand Hotel about 3 years ago and didn't think much of it. I thought about watching it again for this countdown, but why would I do that when there were a couple movies I couldn't get to for the first time.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Camille was my #7! It's been ages since I saw it but I liked it a lot at the time.

I didn't get round to seeing Grand Hotel. It seems like some big names are showing up quite early.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm a big fan of Greta Garbo but not really of Camille although I've warmed to it a bit in later years. Here's a clip.

I like Grand Hotel better - it was on my shortlist of 44 films but didn't make the cut. Here's the classic intro of the main characters with George E. Stone's great topper of a line right at the end.

Ballerina Greta Garbo "wants to be alone" but jewel thief John Barrymore has other ideas.

Good list so far.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Charge is my #10. Loved this since I was a kid. In fact, when I was around 6 or 7, a got a tiny, toy projector with movie tickets and three movie shorts without sound that ran about 3 or 4 minutes. One was a clip from a Popeye cartoon during a bar room fight, can't remember the second, but the final one was some of the intense moments of the battle at the end of the film.

Camille came in at #10 and one of my favorite of Greta Garbo. She has such a zest for life in this film of a dying woman who hides her illness from the man she loves and who idolizes her.

Grand Hotel WAS on my short list of films but did not make the cut. A great film though.

Watched 4/6 (66.6%)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven 1 Pointer

EDIT: after a little research, I have found that I HAVE seen Stage Door. Seeing a clip of a very young Lucille Ball clicked the ole memory noggin.

Ballerina Greta Garbo "wants to be alone" but jewel thief John Barrymore has other ideas.

Good list so far.
Love that clip! Gosh I swear Great Garbo just pours her heart and soul into her scenes, especially with John Barrymore. I really liked their next love scene together where they make plans for the future. Greata is so good in Grand Hotel. And of course Barrymore both of them are pretty darn good too.

grand hotel is the first i've seen so far but didn't make my list. probably would've made my top 35 or so
criticker

Like @edarsenal Grand Hotel was on my short list, as I loved that movie, but it just missed making my list. I haven't seen Camille yet, but I intend to. Really love Greta Garbo and what I have seen her in, I've loved her. Lots of fantastic films already and we're still in the 90's!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Like @edarsenal Grand Hotel was on my short list, as I loved that movie, but it just missed making my list. I haven't seen Camille yet, but I intend to. Really love Greta Garbo and what I have seen her in, I've loved her. Lots of fantastic films already and we're still in the 90's!
you should really enjoy Camille, I think.
And I agree, we are starting with some solid films right from the get go. And that's not simply bias from having 3 of mine already show up.

hopefully it isn't

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
THE ONE POINTERS

Following a long standing Countdown tradition, these are the 'one pointers'. They're films that appeared on only one voting list and in last place, hence they only scored one point. But someone loved them and so here they are!

I think the only movies I've seen from the one-pointers are Suzy and Sylvia Scarlett. I liked Suzy, but I didn't care much for Sylvia Scarlett.