~ Greetings from a Frenchie ~

Tools    

...I'm French yet I don't really like Champagne as well.
What do you think of sparkling wine that's produced in California being called 'Champagne'?

Have you seen The City of Lost Children (1995)? I thought it was well done fusion of fantasy and sci-fi.

I'm Anthony, a Frenchman in France.
What do you think of sparkling wine that's produced in California being called 'Champagne'?
Firstly, I didn't care.

Secondly, I told myself that Californian sparkling wine might taste better than the one I drank in France.

Thirdly, selling it under the name 'Champagne' sounds quite dishonest but if they have the balls to name it that way, they must now what they risk, right?

Have you seen The City of Lost Children (1995)? I thought it was well done fusion of fantasy and sci-fi.[/quote]

I love(d) it. That atmosphere, everything. That soundtrack as well.
*goosebumps*
Carot & Jeunet

If you liked Fantastic Planet then definitely watch Ghandahar and The Time Masters.

Hmmm... oh, have you seen The Passion of Joan of Arc? I think it makes a strong contention for greatest movie of all time.
- Alright.

- No. I'm not into medieval movies/series. Boorman's Excalibur had been the exception for years. But not now any longer.

I first thought about Besson's Joan of Arc. I have no idea what it's worth.

I only like Champagne or sparkling wine if it's extra dry.

What is your favorite drink? Alcohol drink? Non-alcohol drink?

Do you watch American cinema?

What are some of your favorite sci-fis? (I love sci-fi movies too)

I only like Champagne or sparkling wine if it's extra dry.

What is your favorite drink? Alcohol drink? Non-alcohol drink?

Do you watch American cinema?

What are some of your favorite sci-fis? (I love sci-fi movies too)
1- I have progressively lost my sense of smell while eating/drinking (to cut a long story short).

When I drink Champagne, it tastes like a sour flavorless sparkling liquid. I enjoy smelling it though, a bit. I think I should only smell Champagne without drinking it :P (unless I want the alcohol in it)

I used to appreciate drinking heavy perfumed red wines. Now, I can smell them, a bit and when I drink it, I rely on my olfactive memory.

My favorite drink (now) would be... diet Orangina (soda with orange juice).

Alcohol drink: Zubrowka (frozen)

Non-alcoholic drink: diet orangina, fresh orange juice.

Most of the movies I watch are American or alike.
I'm not really attracted to French cinema.
Roughly all the movies released in France are either American or French.

Sci-Fi and alike - Here are some of my favorites:

- Arrival
- (Interstellar)
- Contact
- The Fifth Element
- Immortel (French)
- Mars Attacks
- Minority Report
- The Sixth Sense
- Stargate
- Starship Troopers
- The Terminator
- Total Recall
- Twelve Monkeys

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
- Alright.

- No. I'm not into medieval movies/series. Boorman's Excalibur had been the exception for years. But not now any longer.

I first thought about Besson's Joan of Arc. I have no idea what it's worth.
Hi Anton once again
First of all, You mentioned name Besson. I adore Leon and I wonder if Besson is national hero in French.
The second, my fav alcohol is wine, which is typically French drink. And You prefer Polish Żubrówka. Let's exchange

A system of cells interlinked
Hello and welcome!

Hi Anton once again
First of all, You mentioned name Besson. I adore Leon and I wonder if Besson is national hero in French.
The second, my fav alcohol is wine, which is typically French drink. And You prefer Polish Żubrówka. Let's exchange

I haven't watched all Besson's movies. But sure I've had fun with The Fifth Element I hesitated to go watch Valerian but the trailer was so full of computer-generated imagery: I had an overdose just with that.

To my knowing, Besson is well rated in France. I like him well. I'm always curious about his new movies.

I like heady red wines but as I said early, my sense of smell is deficient. I rely on my olfactive memory, when I could still enjoy the flavors of red wine while drinking it.
To be fair, there are great wines other than in France as well

I haven't drunk Zubrowka for ages. We store the full bottle in the freezer so that it partially freezes inside. The remaining liquid becomes liquorous then, delicious.

Cheers!

A little late to getting around to this?

Oh I'm sorry, I'm missing the context: who's a little late to getting around to what?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Last Year at Marienbad is the best French movie of all time. Yes or yes?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
1- I have progressively lost my sense of smell while eating/drinking (to cut a long story short).

Dont cut a long story short. Do tell.

When I drink Champagne, it tastes like a sour flavorless sparkling liquid. I enjoy smelling it though, a bit. I think I should only smell Champagne without drinking it :P (unless I want the alcohol in it)

Yes I dont like french champagne either. I do, however, like Australian methode champenoise.

I used to appreciate drinking heavy perfumed red wines. Now, I can smell them, a bit and when I drink it, I rely on my olfactive memory.

Unfortunately I'm allergic to red but I do enjoy a small sniff occassionally.

My favorite drink (now) would be... diet Orangina (soda with orange juice).

I dont know that but I do like sugar free fruit soda.

Alcohol drink: Zubrowka (frozen)

I dont know that either but

Non-alcoholic drink: diet orangina, fresh orange juice.

I'm not really attracted to French cinema.

Oneof my favourite horror films is french - Martyrs. Absolutely brilliant I thought.

Sci-Fi and alike - Here are some of my favorites:

- Arrival not my cup of tea
- (Interstellar) same - the score put me off (delicate ears)
- Contact I watched it for Jodie. Liked it b ut found the end a bit cheesy

- The Fifth Element really liked it
- Immortel (French) rings a bell but cant recall at the mo
- Mars Attacks hilarious
- Minority Report enjoyed
- The Sixth Sense really liked and wasnt give a spoiler
- Stargate OK entertainment for me
- Starship Troopers really good fun and violence
- The Terminator Love the Arnie!!!
- Total Recall Good fun. Saw this in singapore and crowd loved it
- Twelve Monkeys
LOVED Pitt in this.Totally insane. Did not like Madeleine Stowe

You to introducin' yourself.
Indeed!

It took me time to locate that sub-forum. As early as I saw it, I thought about posting an intro.

LOVED Pitt in this.Totally insane. Did not like Madeleine Stowe
Pitt: like you say

OK, OK, some good stuff here.

Interstellar - Only saw it once on first release, but I seem to remember enjoying it.
Contact - Watched it for Carl and loved it for Jodie (and for not being an overall stupid movie), but, like dani8 mentioned, it would have been better if the ending were, um, good.
Mars Attacks - Who said The '80s had the only fun cheese?
The Sixth Sense - By far M. Night's best (and almost only good) movie. Ingenious!

I'm more into horror than sci-fi myself, but one recent sci-fi that really impressed me was Gravity (and not just for Sandra Bullock in her underwear in 3-D!). Hell, I'm thrilled to see any movie that doesn't have sound in outer space. Did you see that one?

Sound in outer space... That makes me think of Armageddon... They're drilling on an asteroid and apparently it has an atmosphere because you hear every footstep and shuffle.

Sound in outer space... That makes me think of Armageddon... They're drilling on an asteroid and apparently it has an atmosphere because you hear every footstep and shuffle.
Thank you! That drives me insane -- if you want to set your movie in an environment with sound, air, weather, etc., why not save the budget and set the damn thing on Earth?! If you think your target audience won't accept such an, um, alien environment, stick to rom-coms.

(In The Green Slime, not only did the explosion produce a sound, as all explosions in vacuums do, apparently, but the debris, burning with open flames, all fell downward. AAAARRRGGH!)