Blind Horror Reviews

→ in
Tools    

A professor travels to a South American jungle inhabited by cannibalistic tribes to find out what happened to a lost documentary film crew.

As this film was starting out, I had my worries that it wasn’t going to turn out good. For one thing, the acting didn’t seem to be much above the standards of Troll 2; there were some lines involving marriage, for example, that were downright cringe-worthy. For another, I thought that the whole film was going to be a found footage movie, and so I was wondering who the hell was filming the army guys.
As it turns out, nitpicking about the army guy scene would just be pointless, because at least 75% of Cannibal Holocaust is shot like an actual movie. Also, the acting got better after the intro. I’m guessing that the aforementioned marriage talk was shot only once before they moved on.
Now the last movie I reviewed in this series was Man Bites Dog, a film which I described as “disturbing.” Cannibal Holocaust made that movie look tame - in fact, it almost made it look like a children’s film. I mean, this was actually mind numbing.
There are scenes in which real animals are being killed onscreen, the most controversial of which is the turtle. Early on, there’s a moment when a muskrat is being killed, which is pretty damn disturbing, and for a while I was wondering why everybody talks about this turtle but never mentions the freaking muskrat. But then the turtle scene happened, and I knew why. It was more memorable, that’s for certain. Following that, there’s also a snake, a pig, and a monkey. There were a few times when I wished the camera would just cut or turn away, and it refused to do so.
As horrible as the animal scenes were, I can understand from an artistic standpoint why they were filmed. If the audience sees animals dying before their eyes, they’re more inclined to believe that the people in the film are dying as well. So it’s easy to see why the producer and director were in trouble with the law for this movie. Granted, the human death scenes weren’t nearly as brutal, but this is a low budget movie from 1980.
Something that I did not see coming at all was that I felt bad for the cannibals at one point. As Harold, the professor, discovers the fate of the lost film crew, he asks himself what sort of crimes these people must have committed to deserve such punishment. And when he recovers their film canisters and brings them back home to watch, his question is answered. Also, it becomes evident why this movie has its title.
There’s a recent film called Welcome to the Jungle which has a similar premise to Cannibal Holocaust, and one of the many things I didn’t like about that movie was its cast of unlikable characters. But while the people in that movie were just annoying and the film was completely underwhelming, I genuinely despised the film crew of this movie. I wanted to keep watching just to see how they would get it in the end.
Cannibal Holocaust is a film that I will not be re-watching anytime soon, but I do respect it as a picture that is fascinating, disturbing, and emotionally effective. If my previous words haven’t convinced you already, I do not recommend watching it if you are easily sickened or horrified.
8.5/10

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - next week's movie is going to be Eyes Without a Face.

Great review HorrorFanatic; this is on my to see list. Have you seen Cannibal Ferox, aka Make Them Die Slowly? I'm wondering because from the trailer of Cannibal Holocaust, they look like almost identical films.

Great review HorrorFanatic; this is on my to see list. Have you seen Cannibal Ferox, aka Make Them Die Slowly? I'm wondering because from the trailer of Cannibal Holocaust, they look like almost identical films.
I haven't seen it, but I believe it was recommended on IMDB when I looked up Cannibal Holocaust. I'll see if I can remember to order it next week.

I haven't seen it, but I believe it was recommended on IMDB when I looked up Cannibal Holocaust. I'll see if I can remember to order it next week.
That's cool; I'll be very interested to see how you compare them.

I think Cannibal Ferox is better. Though I'm not sure if "better" is the right word.

I found Man Bites Dog far more disturbing than any of the Cannibal movies.

I saw them for the first time when I was about 9 or 10.
I first saw Cannibal Ferox in 1986 when I was 15-my local video store had it. I'm a little limited now to cable and redbox but I do get 1 movie a week from Netflix. I'm getting Warrior next weekend, then I'll get Man Bites Dog, then maybe Cannibal Holocaust.

actually guys, I love horror movies. sometimes if I do have work at night alone and when I feel like I am sleepy, i would find horror movies online and then or read online horror stories. now that would keep my eyes wide awake.

I first saw Cannibal Ferox in 1986 when I was 15-my local video store had it.
Ah, video stores. *sigh* Most of the video shops over here were independent, so you'd just walk into a shop and would often be confronted by about 50% of the shelves holding copies of films you'd never heard of. You had to judge them by their covers back then, though at least they had covers, unlike the pirate stuff where you only had a title, but you developed a sixth sense about them.

then I'll get Man Bites Dog, then maybe Cannibal Holocaust.
I don't really care for the Cannibal films, they're ok, but I've only watched them a few times each, which, considering when I saw them nothing. Man Bites Dog, on the other hand... Enjoy!

Before I was 18, I worked at a couple video stores so that was cool. I got fired at one of them for recommending The Toxic Avenger to a family.

actually guys, I love horror movies. sometimes if I do have work at night alone and when I feel like I am sleepy, i would find horror movies online and then or read online horror stories. now that would keep my eyes wide awake.
Here's a story you might enjoy.
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detai...31&weekday=tue

After a car accident leaves her horribly disfigured, Christiane’s father goes to desperate measures to restore his daughter to her former beauty.

Eyes Without a Face is a film I’ve been wanting to see for quite some time. Back when I was 16, I watched an interview with Clive Barker on the Hellraiser 3 DVD. In this, he talked about some of his favorite films and filmmakers, and he brought up Les Yeux Sans Visage, saying it was one of the scariest movies he’d ever seen. Unfortunately, I didn’t know French (still don’t), so I immediately forgot the title. But luckily, they showed a clip of Christiane wearing her mask while CB was talking, so I was able to recognize this film right away when I found it. Good for me.
I’m giving serious thought to ordering the soundtrack in time for Halloween this year, because I fell in love with it right away as the titles started rolling. The first musical theme that plays has this great energy to it, and it makes me think of dancing clown puppets for some reason. I can’t find that particular piece on Youtube, so I guess you’ll have to either watch the movie or buy the soundtrack to know what I’m talking about. You won’t be wasting any time if you do the former, because it is a good film.
Christiane’s father, Dr. Genessier, is the villain of the movie, but he’s not a black and white monster. The evil that he performs is done for the sake of helping his daughter. He was the one at the wheel when her face was ruined, so he feels an immense guilt. However, his desire to restore Christiane’s visage does not come out of any real love for her. Genessier’s tragic flaw is that he has an obsession to perfect the world around him.
It’s hard not to feel sympathy for Christiane’s character. After the accident, her mother and father lie to everyone they know, telling them that their daughter is deceased. They even use the body of another woman who didn’t survive one of Genessier’s surgeries, saying that this is Christiane. So not only is the woman forced to wear a mask, she cannot show herself to the outside world ever again. Her fiancé and friends are unreachable, and it drags her down into a state of depression. She hates having to hide her face, and in time she develops a deep, seething hatred for her father.
Eyes Without a Face is a fairly old black and white picture from 1959, but if you’re a casual horror viewer who prefers the old pictures because they were less gory, I would still advise extreme caution when going into this one. The film contains a graphic face-listing scene which is not for the faint of heart. The U.S. originally cut this out, but it only served to hinder the picture since it was an integral part of the story. There’s some additional violence in the final act which isn’t as graphic, but it is effective nonetheless.
There are some minor things about this movie that I didn’t like. For one thing, there’s a subplot involving a shoplifter that I find a bit far-fetched. I wonder if the authorities would have been so nice to the culprit if she was less attractive…
The other thing that I didn’t like is really more of a fault in myself than in the actual movie. I found the first half to be really boring and slow, and it took me a while to become invested in the picture. Hopefully, I’ll be less bored upon a second viewing.
In the end, I highly recommend Eyes Without a Face if you’re a fan of classic horror cinema, particularly of France's contributions to the genre.
8/10
Next week's movie is going to be Tetsuo: The Iron Man.