The Horror Fanatic's Top 150 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Bonus Fav #5: Session 9

This is the scariest movie I've seen in months. It's a slow burner, but the characters carry the film with great skill. The characters alone are an aspect that I can't compliment enough; they all feel like they existed long before the events of the film began.
This is pretty much in the tradition of classics like The Haunting or Rosemary's Baby, where it relies more on a feeling of dread than shock value. There are no jump scares or over-the-top murders. There's some bloodshed in the final act, but the violence is part of the story and it's not being gory for gore's sake.
If you're ever feeling too relaxed, I recommend turning the lights off and watching Session 9.

+rep for Session 9, one of the greatest psychological horrors ever. I think I've seen Atleast one Hellboy movie, I'm not sure about that though.

Session 9 is superb. Very creepy.

And without a doubt, Return Of The Living Dead is one of the best zombie movies ever, Genuinely scary, cleverly funny.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
big fan of the hellboy series and an even bigger fan of del torro. Never watched the toxic revenger though my younger brother always raved about them (the guy LIVES for B-movies)

124. Thirteen Ghosts

The original 13 Ghosts was a passable kiddie flick, but this remake is better. And I'm not just saying that because it's gorier or because I saw it first; the 2001 film really is better.
I love the imagination that went into the ghosts of this movie. While some have more screen time than others, every single one is memorable. The concept of the entire haunted house being made of glass is pretty unique, too. Although it isn't particularly scary, it's the most fun I've ever had with a ghost story. I don't see how someone can watch this without being entertained.

Session 9 should be on the official list, not a bonus choice.
When I was putting the list together, I hadn't seen it yet

Not seen last few entries, question: Can we expect much David Lynch on this list?
I've only seen one David Lynch film, which is an error I will rectify in the future. But yes, that one film is on the list.

I've only seen one David Lynch film, which is an error I will rectify in the future. But yes, that one film is on the list.
Nice one, I only ask because this list has included a lot of interesting films that aren't what everyone would class as horror, and I find that Lynch's film are often much scarier than some horrors I have seen

Have you seen many Cronenberg films? I love his sci-fi/horror stuff, like The Brood, Shivers, Videodrome, and especially eXistenZ.

^^This^^

I don't think I thought much of Thirteen Ghosts. I saw it once or twice, but not since much past it's rental release. I get the feeling I thought it was a letdown.

Shivers is on Youtube, in case anyone's interested. Very good minimalist take on the idea of parasitic body snatchers and kind of like a zombie movie too, but does its own thing.

Have you seen many Cronenberg films? I love his sci-fi/horror stuff, like The Brood, Shivers, Videodrome, and especially eXistenZ.
Oh yeah, I love Cronenberg. I wasn't a fan of Spider or Videodrome, but the ones I have seen and liked are The Fly, The Dead Zone, and Scanners. eXistenZ is in my stack of unwatched, and The Brood is on my shopping list. I've never even heard of Shivers, but I'll give that one a look.