Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

To Be or Not to Be (1942) 9/10
Hilarious old school comedy, staring Carole Lombard and Jack Benny ( who was brilliant) as a married couple who are actors and get caught up with the Nazis who have invaded their homeland of Poland

A Perfect World (1993) 8/10
I have seen this a long time ago but forgot all about it. It stars Kevin Costner as an escaped convict on the run who ends up taking a young boy as a hostage and plans to flee to Alaska.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Midnight in Paris - 4/10
I can only watch whatever is available on Concast, and the description sounded great, because I have to look back before my birth to access things I like. The first ten minutes seemed promising, but man, this movie sucked.

I wouldn't call Midnight in Paris a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Lost Vegas Hiway (Zohaib Latif, 2017)
+ 5/10
The Last Witness (Piotr Szkopiakr, 2018)
5.5/10
Beastly (Daniel Barnz, 2011)
+ 5/10
Killing Gunther (Taran Killam, 2017)
5.5/10

The greatest hitman in the world still has what it takes in his old age.
Black Belly of the Tarantula (Paolo Cavara, 1971)
6/10
Death Walks on High Heels (Luciano Ercoli, 1971)
+ 5/10
The Suspicious Death of a Minor (Sergio Martino, 1976)
6/10
All the Colors of Giallo (Federico Caddeo, 2019)
- 6.5/10

A lot of interesting info if you know little about the subject.
Postal (Uwe Boll, 2007)
+ 5/10
Miracle in Cell No. 7 (Nuel C. Naval, 2019)
6/10
Low Tide (Roberto Minervini, 2012)
- 5/10
Dust in the Wind (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1986)
6/10

Regret is what it is but ultimately it's dust in the wind.
The Kitchen (Andrea Berloff, 2019)
5/10
Growing Up (Chen Kuen How, 1983)
6/10
Seed (Uwe Boll, 2006)
4/10
Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg, 2019)
5.5/10

The X-Men get real boring real fast.
Clemency (Chinonye Chukwu. 2019)
5.5/10
Rogue Warfare (Mike Gunther, 2019)
+ 4.5/10
The Pretty Ones (Melisa Liebenthal, 2016)
+ 5/10
Curtiz (Tamas Yvan Topolanszky, 2018)
- 6.5/10

Far from a documentary about Casablanca but more entertaining the more you know about it and Michael Curtiz.

BRAVE
(2012)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

RoboCop (1987)

Pretty much perfect action movie. I've seen this dozens of times but it's been a couple of years since the previous rewatch. Not a dull moment, good characters, great one-liners (and I usually hate them), bloody violence and fabulous world-building. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Inseminoid (1981) - 3/10. Just rubbish. Stoic acting. The ladies were pretty enough (a lot of them Brits), but the story, the direction and every other aspect of it was just crap. Tomato ketchup blood, fighting and the works. In one scene the villain has a fat belly, next one she doesn't. The camera angles were sooo bad that you can see the teeth fillings of actors when they were yelling!!! But still these 80s cheap horror flicks have a certain amount charm, that is just undeniable.

Sir Run Run Shaw.... just LOL!

eXistenZ (David Cronenberg, 1999)

I remember watching Videodrome a number of years ago now, and there was something about the atmosphere that Cronenberg created in that film that left me with a really uneasy visceral feeling all the way through. It had me hooked from start to finished, engulfed in its fantasy world on the edge of my seat. This was a similar experience, with an engrossing suspenseful plot (very much a precursor to Inception in many ways) that never lets you feel comfortable with what you’re seeing. The film succeeds in its overabundance of style, its disgusting to look at and makes you feel uncomfortable as Cronenberg explores his fascination with human flesh and penetration. I was particularly impressed with the performances of Jude Law and Jennifer Jason Leigh, the former who I am not a huge fan of and the latter who I haven’t seen in enough films. Through the imagery, editing and design of the world Cronenberg creates a relationship that has great chemistry and sexual tension. Every touch, every bite, every shot fired, you experience as if you are part of the video game too.

Sisters (Brian De Palma, 1972)

This Hitchcock homage begins with aplomb combining content and style perfectly with a murder witnessed by a journalist neighbour who seeks to find out the truth about what she has seen. De Palma plays around with lots of tropes we’ve seen before, put in ways that work to heighten the suspense and intrigue of the story, for example with some the split camera sequences. Unfortunately I feel the story spirals too much off its original track, giving us too much William Finley and not enough Margot Kidder.

Un Flic (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1972)

Jean-Pierre Melville’s swan-song is just as stylish and impressive as his other crime films for me, oozing with a certain coolness and filled with awesome suspenseful set pieces. There’s the opening bank robbery that really epitomises everything the director does so well with his blue colour palette capturing the crashing wavs and pouring waves as a band of criminals pull of a heist. I know the helicopter sequence apparently comes in for some criticism from certain people, but that was another scene that I found fun and suspenseful. Alain Delon once again captures the imperfect human character so well, as Melville explores and contrasts the codes of cops and criminals. My only complaint was that this could have been more ambitious. More Alain Delon and more Catherine Deneuve, with a great exploration of their lives and relationship.

Primer (Shane Carruth, 2004)

Incredibly impressive considering the budget it was made on, but it's a film that attempts to deliberately obfuscate the plot, mainly through dialogue, in an attempt to make it look more complex and “ambitious” than it is. That’s not a criticism, because it clearly succeeds and the plot is interesting enough but as someone who has now watched hundreds of great movies I have got to be honest with my assessment and say that as a film this did not interest me much. Every stylistic shot, dialogue choice, edit, seemed to be to add disorientating layers to “dress up” the film rather than tell a story using cinematic language. I’m glad I finally watched this though.

J.C. Chandor, 2014

An a24 production but you really can't tell. It's all around new york city in the eighties, the most violent year. They made a video to sell the story, this one, very interesting, something i'm very interested about, when i look at pictures like this it's fascinating culturally, it makes me wonder. The movie is not about that, you don't 'fell the streets' of that period, it's about a business man trying to stick with his morals codes while violence is destroying his profits / business, convincing his business partners / cooperators not to fight back. Nothing is interesting in a subject that i find very interesting. I think a movie about new york of that period shouldn't even have a plot, because it would draw the attention at the wrong place, the attention should be in everything except the plot, but if it does have a plot, it better be good, serpico good, dog day afternoon good.

Dr Terror's House of Horros (1965) - 6.5/10. Another good anthology film from the other side of the pond. Not as tight and tense and Tales from the Crypt, but enjoyable enough. The third story went for a comedic angle, which really dropped the tension. Anthology movies are not quite frequent, and most of the time, the makers just mess it up. When done right, they can be so good.

No Escape - ⭐️⭐️

Starring Owen Wilson, Lake Bell and Pierce Brosnan, this film follows an engineer and his family who move to a South East Asian country due to his career but their lives are put in danger when they become trapped in a violent uprising.

This film was ok to pass the time, but I felt it was underwhelming due to the lack of development for any of the characters. The action scenes are fairly good, but with the ending feeling like an anti-climax, it becomes a forgettable film.

6 Underground - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Elsewhere, I watched this film which I thoroughly enjoyed. I love Ryan Reynolds so I thought I would give this a go. Reynolds is charismatic in the lead role and really helps carry the film, along with the other 5 main characters that make up the team. They form an anonymous vigilante group who seek to right the wrongs of the world and make the world a better place. I hope there is a sequel, as I felt there is definetly potential for more films.

21 Bridges

A capable cop thriller if not exactly blowing it out the park, had a bit of 90's action movie vibe at times, minus any sense of humour.. I really liked some of the chase scenes and the cast all did a good job, I like Chadwick Boseman and JK Simmons can't do bad IMO and I was surprised to find in the end credits that Sienna Miller was the female lead!! did not recognize her at all.. but I think the best performance belongs to the young actor Stephen James .. better than expected

+
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

“I was cured, all right!”

A very good experimental action extravaganza, that works as a satire, a knock off of HK action movies. Hark Tsui knows his things - Van Damme filmed this one in the peak of his addiction. He claims he doesn't remember filming it. ha-ha-ha

Welcome to the human race...
The Dirt -

not sure which film deserves more of the blame for this, Bohemian Rhapsody or The Wolf of Wall Street

I really liked this movie, especially the combo of Isaac & Chastain.

I've been doing some catching up on 2019 releases!

Ford v Ferrari (2019)

I'm not sure if this is as enjoyable if you don't care much about racing, but as a fan of racing myself, this was a lot of fun! The sound of the cars was amazing and a good performance by Christian Bale as race driver Ken Miles. The name
Ford v Ferrari might be a bit misleading though, because the rivalry between Ford and Ferrari feels more like a subplot than the main conflict.

Little Women (2019)

A lovely film! The entire cast was great in this, but especially Saoirse Ronan's and Florence Pugh's performances were amazing. I haven't read the book or seen any of the previous adaptations, so I can't say much about how "original" the screenplay is, but as someone who didn't know the story yet, I thought that it was great. It's noticeable that this film is adapted from a fairly long book because sometimes it feels like the story of the film jumps around a bit too fast. The costume design and set design were great too and the score is fantastic. One of my favorite films of 2019!

1917 (2019)

The cinematography of 1917 is beautiful, but what else would you expect from Roger Deakins. The way that they managed to make the entire film seem like it's one continuous shot is very impressive. Although it's not the first film that has done this, it's very likely the most difficult film which has and that's due to both the amazing way that some of the scenes were shot and the great editing.

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

I liked the two other Taika Waititi films that I'd seen and after this one, I can definitely say that I'm a fan. I find the tone of his films very original and he manages to combine a serious subject and comedy way in a way where neither feels out of place. The child actors are well cast, the screenplay is great and there were some very beautiful shots.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Pale Flower - 8/10
This was really good. Fine editing - not a minute wasted. I like taboo subjects, and I was interested in the characters. I really loved the reasoning behind the gambling (or other things), "Life is boring".

I've been doing some catching up on 2019 releases!

Ford v Ferrari (2019)

I'm not sure if this is as enjoyable if you don't care much about racing, but as a fan of racing myself, this was a lot of fun! The sound of the cars was amazing and a good performance by Christian Bale as race driver Ken Miles. The name
Ford v Ferrari might be a bit misleading though, because the rivalry between Ford and Ferrari feels more like a subplot than the main conflict.

Little Women (2019)

A lovely film! The entire cast was great in this, but especially Saoirse Ronan's and Florence Pugh's performances were amazing. I haven't read the book or seen any of the previous adaptations, so I can't say much about how "original" the screenplay is, but as someone who didn't know the story yet, I thought that it was great. It's noticeable that this film is adapted from a fairly long book because sometimes it feels like the story of the film jumps around a bit too fast. The costume design and set design were great too and the score is fantastic. One of my favorite films of 2019!

1917 (2019)

The cinematography of 1917 is beautiful, but what else would you expect from Roger Deakins. The way that they managed to make the entire film seem like it's one continuous shot is very impressive. Although it's not the first film that has done this, it's very likely the most difficult film which has and that's due to both the amazing way that some of the scenes were shot and the great editing.

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

I liked the two other Taika Waititi films that I'd seen and after this one, I can definitely say that I'm a fan. I find the tone of his films very original and he manages to combine a serious subject and comedy way in a way where neither feels out of place. The child actors are well cast, the screenplay is great and there were some very beautiful shots.

I agree with just about everything you said about all four of these films.

I really liked this movie, especially the combo of Isaac & Chastain.
I like both actors, for me chastain is one of the very few good actresses acting in hollywood, in my opinion. When it comes to new york, to me, it have to have something more than just acting and plot, even worse if you sell the movie talking about the most violent era, taking in consideration what was made in terms of cinematography because of that era, it’s one of the only times i enjoy america culturally. They sold this movie in a way, they made it in another way, is related but missed so much. I could rate it higher, probably, but when i make the contrast between the material available and what they made...