[NEW THING] Clubs

Tools    

I'd be into that. I had/have stuff to say about a couple that I didn't get around to posting, because it's been crazy the last couple of weeks, but I think talking about some lesser-known films would be cool, too. That seems like a particularly great use of the Clubs: bringing attention to each director's lesser-known works.

Sean how about both? Some more Hitch films...and...some films from another director's club too.
Not a bad idea but I want to be able to participate so I don't want to get the schedule too cluttered. How would you guys feel about one a month like Rodent did with Carpenter?

Not a bad idea but I want to be able to participate so I don't want to get the schedule too cluttered. How would you guys feel about one a month like Rodent did with Carpenter?

Verhoeven

Actually, @Yoda. there is one thing I've spotted with the clubs pages... the threads in them don't show page numbers so you have to click on the thread, and then click Last Page...

Personally, I prefer watching more Hitch films. I'm not interested in Carpenter's films. But that's just me. I'm not saying my one vote should count for anymore than anyone else's.

@Yoda, is there a link to all the Director's Clubs, that's easy to find?

I see the link on my profile page that list the clubs I've joined, but I can't seem to easily find the link to all the clubs (unless I first click on an individual club, then use the link to find the overall Club page.)

Aye, Rodent has the right URL. I've mentioned this a couple times in the threads, but preemptively, I'm holding off on finding an easier place to put it unless/until we expand the feature a bit. Still all in "testing/wait-and-see" mode from my perspective.

Actually, @Yoda. there is one thing I've spotted with the clubs pages... the threads in them don't show page numbers so you have to click on the thread, and then click Last Page...
Thanks, I'll see about getting that mirroring the forums. In the meantime, the arrow next to the Last Post data should take you to the most recent post.

Bump!

It's been just over a year in this little experiment. Have we learned anything? Does it work/not work? Are there things we should ditch, change, or add?

I can probably anticipate some of the general reactions, but wanted to get feedback on this. No need to hold back, this was/is always a "let's just see what happens" kind of project, so any constructive criticism is welcome.

I ended up falling back on the Verhoeven club and letting it sit for a while.
Tried to get a monthly thing going, and a couple of the threads had very little replies or people taking part in the discussions.

Clubs only really work when there's people taking part, and sadly people tend not to join in most of the time.
Might be the choice of director though.

Bump!

It's been just over a year in this little experiment. Have we learned anything? Does it work/not work? Are there things we should ditch, change, or add?

I can probably anticipate some of the general reactions, but wanted to get feedback on this. No need to hold back, this was/is always a "let's just see what happens" kind of project, so any constructive criticism is welcome.
The Clubs seem to work fine and they're a neat addition to MoFo. The problem is many don't know about them or use them. I'd say they are in need of some PR to help promote them. Maybe something that creates a buzz and makes members want to use them.

I like the addition and the viewings we did went okay. It is very hard to get very many people to participate in viewing and discussions as a group. If they aren't much work I say keep them. If they take much time and energy it could probably be spent elsewhere.

I like the idea of clubs but I think if it were promoted more, it would get more use on the site

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Good stuff, thanks guys. Will try to respond more soon.

And keep the feedback coming, if anyone else has any thoughts (even if they're just echoing the ones already posted).

And keep the feedback coming, if anyone else has any thoughts (even if they're just echoing the ones already posted).
I pretty much exactly agree with Sean then. They are a really good idea, but it can be hard getting things going and if they are too much work then it could be better spent elsewhere.