Steven Spielberg

Tools    

Is he, in your opinion, the best director of all time? Though I want to say yes pointing to a certain genre perhaps, but not the best "director" of all time for pure films.

What do you all think ?

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I can't deny how good he is, but the only movie of his that I have liked was Schindler's List.

Guy
All his films seem a bit watered down to me. I recently saw Lawrence of Arabia and saw that it was a huge influence to Spielberg. With that said, I saw the Indiana Jones' and I could see the influence, but it felt more watered down with poor acting and cheesy dialogue. Anyone else see what I'm saying?

I like most of his films though, including Indy. He chooses many good scripts to work with.

my favorite spielbergs in order- (if they arent on here, i havent seen 'em)
1. Jurrasic Park
2. Indiana Jones and the last crusade
3. Schindler's list
4. Close Encounters of the third kind
5. Raiders of the lost ark
6. Hook
7. ET
8. Jaws
9. Saving Private Ryan
10. AI

So my answer? yes!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I think he good there's no question but I don't think he's ever been in my top 10 director of all time.

Jurrasic Park was one of those few movies on my first viewing I did like it that much but with every new viewing it's got better and better.

A.I. I think over time this movie will become more loved but not for at least another 5 or 6 years their was just to much hype around it. I came away dissapointed but not from the way he handle it just from what I had read Kubrick wanted to do with it.

Schindler's list makes me cry everytime.

Hook - has it's moments also and I think is much better than what everybody says it is.

Saving Private Ryan - not bad not bad the first scene is a dozzy. after a while the story doesn't hold up than it comes back nearing the end.

Close Encounters of the third kind - okay but I was expecting more.

and I save the best & biggest surprise for last yes 1941 is my favorite Speilberg.

Peace

He's one of my faves, even though I find several of his movies in the last decade to be over-rated. My favorite movies that he has directed are Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park.

I think he's terrific sometimes, okay sometimes, and terrible other times. A.I. is his best for me and Hook is his worst. He's not given enough credit by most of the so-called "film buffs", but he's overrated by many of the general population - I think he's somewhere in between. I think Jurassic Park is incredibly overrated, for example, but most everyone here thinks it's some kind of great movie. E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark are two of the best movies I've ever seen, but Jurassic Park doesn't do it for me.

Originally posted by Steve
but Jurassic Park doesn't do it for me.
It didn't do it for me either. I never visited that park again after seeing the first film. I believe my annoyance with it came out as sound when I watched it in the movies, which is why I was "ssshhhed!" by an older couple sitting in front of me.

Oh yeah, and my sister made a joke about the dinosaurs, which caused me to start laughing.

B&W
Is he, in your opinion, the best director of all time?
Yeah, he's the MJ of the film directing industry

A lot of you are using HOOK to say he isn't. But although I don't like that film know, when it first came out I thought it was brilliant. I don't think it was supposed to be for adults, and hence it accomplished the whole point of the 'Peter Pan' philosophy.
It was a fantasy which only children were supposed to enjoy!

I can't deny how good he is, but the only movie of his that I have liked was Schindler's List.
Have people forgotten about the Indiana Jones series?

I like Speilberg's work, but not the earlier stuff.
I dislike E.T greatly and Jaws doesn't cut it for me.

That being said I was greatly impressed with Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, Schindler's List, and Artificial Intelligence.

The pro films far outway the con films.

I would say speilburg is the greatest story teller of them all, but best director? He is one but I would say Stanley Kubrick is the all time best.

This coming from the author of a stupid thread about a director he knew nothing abou.....

OH MY GOD!
WRITERDIRECT IS BACK PEOPLE!!

Excuse me a moment:

Silver Bullet, I feel exactly the opposite about Stevie Spielberg's stuff: I love all the early stuff, while I have little to no use for most of what he did after Raiders of the Lost Ark or so. Ranking his work for me would go...

BEST to WORST
1. Jaws (1975)
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
4. The Sugarland Express (1974)
5. Muncih (2005)
6. Empire of the Sun (1987)
7. Schindler's List (1993)
8. 1941 (1979)
9. Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (1989)
10. Minority Report (2002)
11. Always (1989)
12. Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom (1984)
13. Poltergeist (1982)*
14. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
15. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
16. The War of the Worlds (2005)
17. "Duel" (1971)
18. Catch Me if You Can (2002)
19. The Color Purple (1985)
20. Amistad (1997)
21. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence (2001)
22. Jurassic Park (1993)
23. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
24. The Terminal (2004)
25. Hook (1991)

UPDATED THROUGH MUNICH

As for the original question in this thread: no, of course I do NOT think Spielberg is the greatest director of all-tme...or of any time or any genre. My main problem with Spielberg is that his sentimentality has grown bigger and more mawkish over the years, to the point where it now has a tendency to overwhelm most everything he does, cropping up in inappropriate moments and ruining the flow and overall feel of his films for me.

The top four I listed, Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters and Sugarland Express, are all intense favorites, movies I have seen countless dozens of times and enjoyed as much on the sixty-third viewing as I did on the first. And all the way up to my number ten, I find all of those movies good to great. But the bottom five I listed, Hook, Lost World, Jurassic Park, The Terminaland A.I., are all deeply disappointing to me, given the promise and flourish of his first eight years or so making feature films. Numbers eleven through nineteen are all deeply flawed for me in one way or another, and most are entirely overrated from my perspective.

But as the kids used to say, whatEVER. The man has talent, no doubt, I just don't think his output from the '90s onward has been anywhere near the promise of Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I find him consistently disappointing these days. I rather enjoyed Minority Report, but then he took steps backward with Catch Me If You Can and War of the Worlds, and The Terminal is just dreadful.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am back silver- "Full Metal Jacket!

Back with new knowledge on a respected Director of mine who die in peace, in his sleep of a heart attack.

Shame on you!

Steven Speilberg is definatly the best director of all time. He made Jurassic Park which is one of my fav movies and he did many different blockbuster and oscar winning movies.

Back with a bang!
Nah, he's a great director, but certainly not the best.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Spielberg has always been one of my favorite directors, and I think that he continues to put out quality films year after year. I even liked Hook, and NOBODY liked Hook! I can't wait for Minority Report. It looks like its in the same vein as AI, which I LOVED.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Future Ed Wood
it depends what you class as the greatest director of all time?

is it the one that produces the biggest grossing movies of all time?

is it the one that produces the most well loved movies?

or is it the one that makes films which have the best ideas messages and values?

in my opinion mr spielberg has all of these qualifactions. how many films in the top 10 biggest grossing films of all time are made by mr S?

in everyones top 10 films of all time i bt at least one or two are from the man!

as for the messages and values i guess this is the one that he is weakest on. schindlers list has many messages and values and close encounters is a very good film which gets you thinking. we havnt seen nothing from him yet! minority report is begin made by him for him! every other film he has made he has made for the audience but now because his reputation is so great now he can do what he wants to do.

indiana jones 4 is going to be amazing as its ging to have him and the legend that is Lucas working together. lets hope that they can keep their differences out of the film

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/