R.I.P. Jean-Luc Godard

Tools    

Well this sucks. We are pretty much out of notable French New Wave directors. Rohmer, Varda, Demy, Rivette, Truffaut, and now Godard is gone. I liked Contempt a lot, and will continue to follow his movies. Perhaps that orchestral song from said movie will play during his funeral. I was surprised that he was still alive a couple of months ago. Same thing I feel with saxophonist Sonny Rollins who I hope stays on this planet for a couple more years.

Assisted suicide? Godard? The world is coming to an end for sure.
Wasn’t he like 91? I think it’s great that he got to choose the way his life ended. He may have been enduring a lot of pain for all we know.

Wasn’t he like 91? I think it’s great that he got to choose the way his life ended. He may have been enduring a lot of pain for all we know.
I didn’t mean it in a judgmental way at all. When I was unwell I considered suicide (albeit unassisted). I just meant that it’s very sad.

"Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland in some circumstances."

Yeah, if you have a lot of money.
I’m pretty sure it’s just legal? Isn’t it about 20k?

This is a very morbid direction to take this, but this made me think that one could be continuing to work/get dividends and “saving for suicide” the way people have been “saving for a baby” in recent years. Just a thought. I know I would.

I didn’t mean it in a judgmental way at all. When I was unwell I considered suicide (albeit unassisted). I just meant that it’s very sad.
Why is it sad? He was 91 & lived a very fulfilling life.

It’s like one of the British rags that said QEII’s death was a “tragedy”.

Why is it sad? He was 91 & lived a very fulfilling life.

It’s like one of the British rags that said QEII’s death was a “tragedy”.
Well, I’m glad I haven’t seen one of these yet! I suppose you have a point. Analytically speaking, it’s not sad at all. I think I find it sad because I’ve given too much thought over the course of my life to the options around ending one’s life due to ill health. Maybe that’s why. Or maybe it just struck me as sad at the time of posting for some other reason. Ultimately, it’s certainly better than continuing to suffer.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I’m pretty sure it’s just legal? Isn’t it about 20k?

That's a LOT. And the plane ticket. And then inflation.

If inflation keeps going up, Biden is going to have a sign on his desk that reads:
"The half a buck stops here"

Still can't believe it. Consistently one of the greatest filmmakers — and in some cases the greatest — of the decade, for 6 decades in a row.

Haven't been able to bring myself to rewatch any of his work since the news. Worried that would "make it real" and I don't want to feel that yet.