You Ever Walk Out of the Theater?

Tools    

I walked out of The Truman Show. So bad. That was so long ago I can't even remember why I disliked it so much. Even so, the dislike is so strong I still refuse to watch it.

Insane... I love The Truman Show.

I really really REALLY wanted to walk out of a batman film (the one with Bane I don't remember or care what it was called) I was literally begging my friend for us to leave but he was having none of it and he provided the transport so I had to sit through the entire god awful thing. On way home my mate was like that wasn't very good, I was like I HATE YOU.

Oh and Independence 2, whatever the **** it called itself, dear lord that was dreadful.. again a friend who refused to let me leave.

I don't go to cinema often, I never seem to have much luck but I think in future I may go alone...

Around the turn of the century, in the pre-streaming times, I was going to see just about every mainstream horror film that came to theaters. As you might imagine, there were quite a few stinkers in there. I never walked out of one, but I sure did mentally check out on a few. Silent Hill, The Ring Two and The Grudge 2 are examples that come to mind. Now, with streaming, you can reach that point where you just know you're watching garbage and you can get up for a snack and check your texts and so on, but there's nothing worse than realizing 15 minutes into a film you've paid for that it's going to be terrible and you already drove to the theater so you might as well stick it out. Then there's another hour and a half of just shifting in my seat and checking the time and vowing that I'd never do it again.

What Rollerball didn't quite get was that there is no reason why corporations would want to be "officially" in charge. Outsource costs to the taxpaying citizen and leave them with the veneer of legitimate representation. Have them blame themselves. "Don't like your government? Vote for better representatives!" "Stop hitting yourself!" One hand washes the other. It's either Republican or Democrat (what a choice!) It's either democracy (you chose it!) or the free market deciding (build your own!). In actuality, it's a Punch and Judy show.
So the future as depicted in Rollerball was just as corrupt, yet a bit more honest than the system we have now.

So the future as depicted in Rollerball was just as corrupt, yet a bit more honest than the system we have now.

And we can't walk out of our movie.

I have walked out of the theatre many times...once the movie was over (but never before!)

There is nothing quite so liberating as walking out of a movie that is wasting your time, especially if you paid money to see it (it's a repudiation of the sunk costs fallacy and a declaration your time IS worth MORE than your money).

I did once when I watched Yesterday (2019) in a movie theater. It was an emergency and so I have to go home. I rewatched the movie again a few months after that.

I walked out of Mike Figgis's The Loss of Sexual Innocence. It got a big write up in the paper. It had all kinds of heat around it. But it was terribly boring and felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I don't know how long I gave it because I certainly wasn't one to walk out of a movie. I asked my friend if she wanted to leave but she definitely didn't walk out of movies. I left and strolled into another theater in the multi-plex where they were playing That Winslow Boy. What a wonderful movie with a great script by David Mamet, Also Jeremy Northam was in it. I had a big crush on him at the time.