Polish Cinema

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

What would you do, if your plan for life would has failed? Do you have plan B?
Five people faces unexpected life breakthroughs. The wife is abandon by husbend, in a day when her only daughter, is leaving family home and flying to US to study. The mistres has to deal with unexpected death of her married lover. Young woman rejected by another intoxicated night with another random lover, is trying to commit siucide. The prisoner, conditionally released from prison, find out he is not the father his girlfriend's son. All they need alternative plan for their lives.

After watching previous movie of Kinga Dębska - These Daughters of Mine, I was hoping to see another magnificent movie. Unfortunelly Plan B isn't as unique as TDoM. Plan B uses known schemes, which I've seen a million times in another movies. Forgive me spoiler, but in real life implementation of alternative way of life is more much painful.

In defens, the movie is quite short, only 85 min., and I didn't want to go out from the cinema. I would be happy, if I could spend more time with main characters and see how they manage further., so despite lack of orginality, the stories were enagaging.

Second, but huge, advantage of this movie is brilliant cast. Marvelous Kinga Preis, believable Edyta Olszówka and wonderful in every movie Marcin Dorociński. They made really good job here

Kinga Preis

Edyta Olszówka

Marcin Dorociński

I only know that Polish cinema can be somehow acute, but at the same time beautiful, stylish and significant.However, I had no opportunity to watch a nice Polish movie!

I only know that Polish cinema can be somehow acute, but at the same time beautiful, stylish and significant.However, I had no opportunity to watch a nice Polish movie!
That's too bad, but I'm sure you could find some movies on yt. They probably won't be new, but the old one are excellent.

Kobiela on the beach 1963, dir. Andrzej Kondriatuk

Short documentary movie.
Famous Polish actor Bogumił Kobiela was pacing famous legion beach in Sopot. He came out from the fitting room in a skier outfit and told people it's because he didn't want to got out of the practice. He smoked cigarettes and chatting with people about fresh marine air. When he was leaving, he was saying goodbye to almost every people on the beach.

Whole film was made with hidden camera and people from the beach didn't know they were acting in the movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Kobiela on the beach 1963
Seen it years ago. That's what I wrote:

Kobiela na plaży [Kobiela On The Beach] (1963) -
(One of the most known Polish actors of the era decides to do something that today we would call 'pranks'. He wears skier's costume on the beach, becomes a rescuer, ice-cream seller and then photographer to TROLL people. Entertaining watch.)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I found it very funny. I was laughing loud. This is my type of humour
A quaint type of humour. Right up your alley, auntie.

A quaint type of humour. Right up your alley, auntie.
That's right. Don't you like this type of humour, sweetie? Didn't you enjoy this movie?

That's right. Don't you like this type of humour, sweetie? Didn't you enjoy this movie?
I think it's kind of old-school, more suited for older people, like you.

I think it's kind of old-school, more suited for older people, like you.
I thought it is timeless, but people at my age often makes mistakes like that

I thought it is timeless, but people at my age often makes mistakes like that
Ye, I'd say that's a typical pre-war kind of thinking.

Polish cinema is different than American. Most of Polish movies nowadays is dull and just stupid/boring. Polanski isn’t the typical polish cinema, so I would reccomend for example Patryk Vega’s movies PITBULL (opinions about his projects are divided, but imo he makes good movies comparing to 99% love comedies that are the most popular type of films in Poland). I really think in the 90s and the beginning of 2000 polish movies were much much better (Kiler part 1 and 2, Seksmisja, Poranek Kojota etc.). The sad thing is we don’t really have good actors and actresses anymore.

From what I heard from all my movie buff friends, he makes really lousy films. Never seen one and don't intend to.
I really think in the 90s and the beginning of 2000 polish movies were much much better (Kiler part 1 and 2, Seksmisja, Poranek Kojota etc.)
But all of these are super weak films. Except for Seksmisja, but it's from 1983.
The sad thing is we don’t really have good actors and actresses anymore.
We still do. Yeah, maybe Dawid Ogrodnik is not the most original example, but there's also Dorociński, and a handful others. I'm not an expert on contemporary Polish cinema, but what I saw suggests the quality of films increased compared to the extremely weak 2000s.

Kolejna Polka. Skąd jesteś?

I haven't seen Pitbull either. I would rather mention Smarzowski, Dębska, Szumowska or Piekarz, if I was speaking about nowadays Polish directors.
And I agree with Minio that we have really good actors

Witaj Natalja

Now I give you an example of very bad Polish movie with very good Polish actor (but this movie wasn't worth of watching even for him )

Boring, predictable movie.
It's about the guy, who is the host of talkshow about the girl, who is looking for the man of her life.
Warning: spoiler!
The guy and the girl finally discover, they love each other! I know, nobody expected this.

Eroica - dir. A.Munk

Two novels abot WWII. The first one is about Varsovian, who don't want to be involve in Warsaw Uprising, but by accident he is. This part is more humorous and free of bombast, what is rather characteristic to polish movies about polish history.
The second novel is more gloomy. Polish officers, who are prisoners in German camp, want to escape. Only one persone did it before them and this officer becomes their hero.

I link here some polish short movies, which are modern version of Polish legends. Hope you'll enjoy as much as I
Jaga

Dragon
This particular movie was made in Cracow and the part, where the spaceship apperears for the first time was made few streets from my flat