Books you really want to see turned into FAITHFUL movies

Tools    

It's maddening that John Hillcoat apparently has a script that is approved by McCarthy and is ready to go but the rights holders say nay, as they'd rather pursue filmmakers like...

James Franco.

At least that seems to have fallen apart.

I thought James Franco was the rights holder since I he started making one some time during his, "make 60 movies a year," phase - or at least "had the movie rights."

I remember he also got the movie rights to Zeroville during that time.

I guess I'm unclear on the meaning of the specifics, or possibly what the specifics were.

This is why something like Let The Right One In is such a great adaptation (script from the original author, no less). It adopts an iceberg approach, catching glimpses of the novel's larger world (which would take a miniseries to fully render) but perfectly capturing the essence and important beats. It wouldn't be any greater with 6+ more hours just to go into Hakan's pedophilia, Eli's origin, or their detective neighbor's relationship with his son. It would probably feel a great deal lesser because fidelity would override what's best for it in it's new form.
Let the Right One In is my go-to film when discussing good book adaptations. It's faithful but also cognizant of the differences between the two media. For me, wanting more faithful adaptations means wanting more adaptations like that... and I want more faithful adaptations as I'm pissed off by the films that advertise themselves as adaptations but, in truth, use only some familiar names as a dressing (like almost everything based on IPs controlled by Paradox).

I thought James Franco was the rights holder since I he started making one some time during his, "make 60 movies a year," phase - or at least "had the movie rights."

I remember he also got the movie rights to Zeroville during that time.

I guess I'm unclear on the meaning of the specifics, or possibly what the specifics were.
Apparently Scott Rudin was the rights holder and is the one that blocked Hillcoat. I believe he was also the one giving Franco the initial greenlight but it fell apart. He's since been cancelled so maybe things will open up for Hillcoat.

Let the Right One In is my go-to film when discussing good book adaptations. It's faithful but also cognizant of the differences between the two media. For me, wanting more faithful adaptations means wanting more adaptations like that... and I want more faithful adaptations as I'm pissed off by the films that advertise themselves as adaptations but, in truth, use only some familiar names as a dressing (like almost everything based on IPs controlled by Paradox).
Yes. In my ramble, I forgot to mention that a part of my appreciate for "faithfulness" is that when fidelity is entirely discarded, it usually results in a far lesser film (World War Z).

However, just to contradict myself, that approach has rendered its own masterpieces from Frankenstein to Children of Men.

I'd like to see most of Milan Kundera's books made into movies. They have already made a movie of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but I would like them to tackle several of his other works, such as: Immortality, The Joke, and The Book of Laughter and Forgetting. Kundera's style of writing would probably pose a challenge to adapting any of his novels including Unbearable Lightness, but his stories are good and he always leaves you with something to think about.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Still waiting for King/Straub's The Talisman.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I'd like to see most of Milan Kundera's books made into movies. They have already made a movie of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but I would like them to tackle several of his other works, such as: Immortality, The Joke, and The Book of Laughter and Forgetting. Kundera's style of writing would probably pose a challenge to adapting any of his novels including Unbearable Lightness, but his stories are good and he always leaves you with something to think about.

Pretty sure am adaptation of The Joke was made during the Czech New Wabey

I read that it had been released about fifteen minutes after I made my post. Milan Kundera did the screenplay himself. It is available from Criterion with 4 other Czheck new Wave Films.

Casting is often crucial for a cinematic rendition of a book. My pick: Cormac McCarthy's Suttree -- but non-negotiable, it would have to star David Morse in the lead role.

The trick is not minding
Yep. It’s sitting in my watch list currently on the criterion channel along with many other Czech New Wave films.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oh, my favorite Czech New Wavey is Magdaléna Vášáryová.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The first pic she looks a lot like Leah Remini