Good Meditative Movies?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A movie focused on one person, where the pacing is just right, so you can think along with them, be in their shoes. It doesn't have to be silent - the character could be talking to themselves in their room for 20 minutes. A scene like that exposes someone, as opposed when people are in the company of others, and have to act a certain way depending on the person.

I just saw a very good movie, "The Worst Person in the World", and she's the center of the movie, crises, but without the twists and turns. It felt very natural flowing, without explosions or overly dramatic scenes. It was very subdued and not that predictable. Although I knew what was on the character's mind, I wouldn't mind if there were a few scenes where she's unsure, or if the audience isn't unsure... One user critic described it as an existential crisis on film relatable to many 40-year olds who are trying to adjust to a world much different than the ones we were born in. The internet changed the world, but who's to say things would have worked out if it wasn't invented. People still have many of the same problems they did a thousand years ago.

And then when you add music from the 60/70s, it's going to make the movie better, especially two very good songs by Harry Nilsson.

Welcome to the human race...
Jeanne Dielman is the obvious pick here. Maybe Drive My Car works as well.

Victim of The Night
I'm thinking my beloved Paris, Texas might fit this bill, but I could be wrong.

Three Colors Blue
Three Colors Red
The Double Life of Veronique
Fallen Angels
Son of Saul

Thanks for the reminder -- I've been wanting to see Three Colors for a while, and almost did yesterday, but it would have been the third part.

Are they stand alone movies? Or do you have to view them chronologically?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I know a lot of meditative movies, but seeing how you deem The Worst Person in the World a meditative movie makes me think we might have disparate notions of what that word means.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Are they stand alone movies? Or do you have to view them chronologically?

I would say they have to be viewed chronollogically. You need to watch RED last. I won't say why as it would be a spoiler.

Victim of The Night
Oh yeah, I've been on about this movie for months, don't know why it wasn't the first one I thought of.

I would say they have to be viewed chronollogically. You need to watch RED last. I won't say why as it would be a spoiler.

Thank you. I'll try to expedite them. I just spent a lot of time on "Sex and Lucia" and got sick of the sex scenes. I can't believe I'm saying this, although I didn't find her attractive.

Heat

Meet Joe Black

Blade Runner

Star Trek: The Motionless Picture

Salton Sea

A system of cells interlinked
Under the Skin
(2013)

The Revenant
(2015)

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring
(2003)

The Fountain

All the best slow-paced ones seem to be mentioned, so I'll go ahead and give you something I meditated on in a similar way, even though it's a bit different from the ones suggested here: Slumdog Millionaire. It's one of the few movies I'd actually buy the DVD for, just out of respect for everything it did.

Also check out Cast Away.

Michael Mann's "Heat"?

Yes.

I don't actually wear pants.
The Great Ziegfeld is incredibly meditative since it always puts me to sleep. Same with 2001: A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, Deer Hunter, Godfather Part II, and Gods and Generals. Talk about cures for insomnia! I will never watch any of those again. I'd rather sleep.

But what about slow and methodical without being boring? Fisher King has a methodical pace and is never boring. Lawrence of Arabia takes its time, and despite being 3:30 hours, is never boring even with said pacing. I can't type "issue" because there is no issue. David Lean let the story unfold, and relied on the viewer to consume the proper bits. Seven Samurai is also methodical, building up to the final confrontation. Human Condition trilogy has its fair share of slow bits, but it is never anywhere close to boring. Shakespeare adaptations have a tendency to make me sleepy because of how they're worded. The poetry is hypnotic and soothing, so I frequently, no matter how awesome the movie is, which a lot are, like Alan Rickman's first screen role, start to nod off. Thankfully I can go backwards.