Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

You ought to put yourself in the next pool of possible nominators. Haven't you only chosen the first one?
I decided to only nominate one film for this thread since I'm trying to give as many chances as possible to the other participants to nominate something.

Also, I think most of the films I'll be voting for are fairly well known.

I decided to only nominate one film for this thread since I'm trying to give as many chances as possible to the other participants to nominate something.

I agree with @Miss Vicky
Mate, you ought to take this round and nominate a movie. You have only had one chance.

That's very cool of you, but I think you should put your name back into the movie selection hat.

I'll go next then.

Nomination #21

Cameraperson (2016, Kirsten Johnson)

Deadline to Watch It: November 17

Nominated By: SpelingError

I don't believe any documentaries have been nominated yet, so figured I'd nominate what may be my favorite doc of the 2010's (either this one or Exit Through the Gift Shop, which is quite a bit more well-known). It should be pretty easy to track down.

I don't believe any documentaries have been nominated yet, so figured I'd nominate what may be my favorite doc of the 2010's (either this one or Exit Through the Gift Shop, which is quite a bit more well-known). It should be pretty easy to track down.
Cool, quite a few docs I am considering. Exit Through The Giftshop is one of them. I watched Cameraperson s few weeks ago because it was one of the big ones I hadn't caught up with. I liked it, but was left feeling that I just wanted to see all the docs she had pulled the footage from. What a cool life to document all that stuff.

Cool, quite a few docs I am considering. Exit Through The Giftshop is one of them. I watched Cameraperson s few weeks ago because it was one of the big ones I hadn't caught up with. I liked it, but was left feeling that I just wanted to see all the docs she had pulled the footage from. What a cool life to document all that stuff.
Have you seen Dick Johnson is Dead from the same director? You may like that one more.

EDIT: Never mind, just noticed that you logged it on Letterboxd.

Watched Cameraperson back in 2018 and made no notes (other than agreeing it was aptly titled) but sadly from the rating I gave it would appear I wasn't particularly enamoured of it. I'll not revisit it as I'm trying to concentrate now on either completely new watches or rewatches that I think could potentially be in the mix.

Have you seen Dick Johnson is Dead from the same director? You may like that one more.

Yeah, that one was good.

I watched Cameraperson on September 20 of this year in preparation for the countdown. It's a very well made documentary, with some powerful and beautiful moments. It's not quite as fantastic as Dick Johnson is Dead, but I'm glad I watched it and would not object if Cameraperson makes the countdown.

Dick Johnson is Dead is AMAZING and almost a guaranteed spot on my ballot. Just hands down one of the best documentaries (or documentary-adjacents) I've ever seen.

So yeah... I don't like documentaries.

Cameraperson (Kirsten Johnson, 2016)

I hated everything about this. I typically avoid documentaries as a rule because it's very rare for one to capture and hold my interest so I wasn't expecting to like this going in. But what I also wasn't expecting was to have to sit through a montage of snippets and outtakes from a bunch of other documentaries with no narration and often little to no context given for what we are shown. The film jumps around from subject to subject and then back again, sometimes covering issues that I might care about if it spent any sort of significant time with them before moving on again, but it doesn't and so I never gave a damn about any of it.

I spent its entire length - which is under 2 hours but felt much, much longer - completely disconnected and just wishing for it to end.

Cameraperson (Kirsten Johnson, 2016)

I'm of a mixed mind on this one. On one hand I enjoyed seeing the many different places around the world....Like the scenes of the Bosnia countryside or Wyoming with that wind! Or the aerial view of Brooklyn. I never knew that's what Brooklyn looked like. The dry, desolated scenes in Africa with the two women chopping down the tree was my favorite. It was interesting that they stressed the fact to the cameraperson 'not to worry the tree was dead'. I liked those two women and I'd liked to know more about them and the other people's lives too...

And that's where I get to the 'other hand' in that Cameraperson was just bits and pieces of left over film stock from other documentaries. I wondered why those pieces were even bothered to be put into a film? I don't think it was technically a good documentary, it wasn't even really about anything.

Yet I did enjoy Cameraperson for the chance to see all sorts of things that I would never get a chance to otherwise. So maybe it worked, I don't know. Glad I watched it though.

don’t think i’ll be watching it again for this but i watched cameraperson a couple years ago and loved it. very humane and beautiful movie about the relationship between camera and subject. probably not gonna make my list but i currently have it as my #68 for the decade. i don’t know if this should qualify me to be in the next pool of names but i at least wanted to put some positivity out there for this one.
criticker

i don’t know if this should qualify me to be in the next pool of names but i at least wanted to put some positivity out there for this one.
If you feel that the film is still fairly fresh in your head or that a rewatch won't change your opinion of it, you should be fine.