Incredible Start for Incredibles 2 (All-Time Domestic Record)

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Although Disney may have faced a considerable disappointment in the release of their latest Star Wars anthology film Solo, they'll have plenty of money to dry their eyes with, especially with Incredibles 2 managing to deliver the biggest opening for an animated film ever on a domestic level.

That's right, on the back of its strong reception (94% on Rotten Tomatoes and an A+ from CinemaScore) and the fact that audiences have waited nearly fifteen years on a followup to the acclaimed predecessor, Incredibles 2 has already started things with a bang!

On a domestic front, Incredibles 2 brought in 180 million for the weekend, besting fellow Pixar film Finding Dory's 135 million record. Although we're in uncharted territory in some respects, Incredibles 2 does appear as though it is a shoe-in for 500 million stateside and, although its optimistic, 600 million isn't out of the question with how leggy Pixar films are known to be. If the film is able to surpass 500 million, that alone will be enough to claim the record for highest-grossing animated film domestically, albeit, not adjusting for inflation (the 816 million from The Lion King is still a very safe record).

As far as worldwide is concerned, Incredibles 2 is currently at a total of 231 million, although, the roll-out for the film will be fragmented in overseas areas.

Incredibles 2's 180 million opening is also the eighth highest of all-time (once more, not adjusted for inflation), which means that Disney now claims nine films from the ten biggest opening weekends of all-time (Jurassic World being the black sheep).

There's definitely some box office benefit to these sequels that take a long, long time to happen, especially when the original film is really good and achieves a cultural permanence on home video.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
There's definitely some box office benefit to these sequels that take a long, long time to happen, especially when the original film is really good and achieves a cultural permanence on home video.
Many have also credited the more recent phenomenon with the superhero genre as well.

I'll be headed to see Incredibles 2 on Tuesday, really, the only thing I'm worried about is that it will focus a little bit too much on Mr. Incredible being a stay at home Dad, etc., and that they won't have a stronger central focus than that. I really loved the bad guy in Incredibles 1. I am simply worried it'll be like Finding Dory was. I loved Finding Nemo. Critics loved Finding Dory. I felt like it felt like it lacked a strong enough conflict.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
In recent news, Incredibles 2 has officially crossed a billion at the worldwide box-office, becoming the fastest animation to accomplish said feat.

Excellent post. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog. Im really impressed by your blog.