Halloween Watch-A-Thon

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
October 3rd

Creep 2

Found footage horror

I was surprised by the first Creep, as I think many people were. I thought to myself when I saw this one Netflix, how are they going to keep this whole thing going? We know from the end of the first film what kind of guy Joseph is. What can the filmmakers do differently that makes this entry not another retread of the same material? I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and they surprised me yet again. Creep 2 does follow the same formula, but adds more character depth to Joseph (who actually now goes by Aaron) and actually makes the scenes he is in a little more terrifying.

We had the mystery in the first film, not knowing if this guy is a killer or not. With the sequel we know the answer and having the audience one step ahead of the camera operator, leads to some great tension. For me though, I'm not that interested in the will or or won't he aspect of the film, I'm more fascinated by the performance from Duplass. He has to love playing this character, he's such a charming nice guy, with weird sinister and awkward undertones. I feel like I wouldn't mind sitting down talking to this guy for a bit, then I remember what a nut job he is and am glad I don't have that chance. He reminds me of the Joker in a small way. He's always telling a different backstory, you have to decide if what he's saying is true or just a straight up lie. In this guy's twisted world he thinks he can mold the lie into some weird truth for himself, so he can proclaim he does not lie. Such an interesting look into the mind of someone like this.

The film keeps the low budget aesthetic, but uses the success of the first film to get a bit more creative with their budget. There are only two instances where I think they put real money into the film, but that was a smart move to keep it low-fi.

They've already said they want this to be a trilogy. We'll see how it plays out in the third.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Hell yeah.

#2 - Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Tony Randel, 1988

A young woman must once again do battle with the sadistic demons whose tore her family apart.

Hellraiser always had a sufficiently intriguing and unsettling premise for a horror movie - hedonistic humans seeking greater and greater pleasures only to suffer the ultimate in pain at the hands of the sadomasochistic "Cenobites" who treat pleasure as pain and vice versa, which ultimately ends up bleeding out into the real world and affecting innocent people. The cosmic horror elements of a hell-like dimension ruled by creatures who consider themselves far beyond human concepts of morality certainly made the original's tale of a family being torn apart by the uncle's meddling in such affairs a compelling one and a low-key favourite of mine so I was definitely interested in seeing the rest. Hellbound sees protagonist Kirsty (Ashley Laurence) being treated in a mental institution after the events of the first film - unfortunately, it turns out that the head psychiatrist (Kenneth Cranham) harbours his own obsession with the world of the Cenobites, which only escalates with the introduction of a cursed mattress and a puzzle-solving mental patient.

Hellbound makes for a decent follow-up that earns its expansion upon the original's cosmically-unknowable mythology without undermining it by giving too much away in the process. It maintains the original's uncomfortable intermingling of skin-ripping brutality with all-consuming lust while adding new elements such as a further excursion into the Cenobites' homeworld complete with an increase in scale and celluloid insanity. One can obviously question the overly familiar and problematic asylum setting (already being depicted as a hellhole full of shrieking patients and padded cells long before any supernatural shenanigans set in), but it's arguably justified by how thin the line separating the patients' mistreatment and the Cenobites' cruelty only speaks to them being less eldritch abominations than them really being far too similar to the worst of humankind (which executive producer Clive Barker arguably refined - or maybe just simplified - in Nightbreed). In the end, it's pretty solid as far as horror sequels go, though that's not exactly the highest bar to clear.

#3 - Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Anthony Hickox, 1992

An aspiring journalist investigates a strange series of events that are connected to a sculpture of demonic origin.

Watching this back-to-back with Hellbound: Hellraiser II really underlines the paradoxical way in which the concept of Hellraiser is at once primed to support sequel after sequel and yet probably shouldn't have been allowed to progress past the second one (and maybe not even reach that far in the first place). It definitely gets more than a little silly as it transports the action from the suitably Gothic gloom of '80s London to the scuzzy mean streets of '90s New York and cranks up the absurdity to a notable level even for a franchise that had established a fondness for distorted leather-bound monsters and flesh-ripping instruments of torture. Regular antagonist Pinhead (Doug Bradley) returns in the form of a cursed statue that feeds on blood at the same time that intrepid reporter Joey (Terry Farrell) is looking to find out the truth behind a classically Hellraiser-looking death she witnesses. These threads intertwine with others - most notably involving an arrogant nightclub owner who buys the Pinhead statue, but also B-plots involving Joey dreaming of the Vietnam War and Pinhead's true soul being trapped in purgatory - and it all adds up to...something?

Hellraiser III functions best as a sort of feverish shark-jump for the franchise that fills out the gaps it tears in its own concept by borrowing from other prominent horror movies (there's an obvious Nightmare on Elm Street vibe where Pinhead rattles off overwrought one-liners and dream worlds figure into the plot). The shift in tone is reflected in everything from cinematography that alternates between garish and crusty to a soundtrack that supplants the typically ominous orchestra with a considerable number of metal and industrial songs. Of course, this signals that the movie is less about trying to create an overwhelmingly scary experience like its predecessors and more about drawing as much crazy weirdness out of the concept as possible while still creating a semi-coherent serialised narrative. As such, I think it's appreciable to a degree because there is at least some level of crazy fun to be had with the proceedings - while that only does so much to elevate this rather messy threequel from badness to campy mediocrity, something just managing that is enough.

October 3rd Old School

A Bucket of Blood (1959)

It's a little funny how Roger Corman really beat Alfred Hitchcock to the punch with the Norman Bates character. In a Bucket of Blood Dick Miller plays Walter a busboy at a New York beatnik club who earnestly wishes to be something more. He's polite, empathetic, but still a little crazy. When he accidently kills the neighbor's cat he covers it in plaster and becomes the talk of the NYC art world. As the story progresses the bodies end up piling up in more grotesque ways. While the film is exploitative it's also fairly humorous. I actually prefer this one to the more popular Little Shop of Horrors which is basically the same story beat for beat but I found this to have a bit more biting satire.

Old School
Witchery (1988)
A Bucket of Blood (1959)

New School
Hell Fest (2018)

Horror-tober 2/31

The Craft (1996) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/the-craft/

While far from being the scariest and truest horror film, this is an old favourite and a guilty pleasure I go back to over and over again. I first saw it back in high school, back when Channel 4 used to play great films late night on weekends, and everyone in school would come in on Monday morning talking about. This was one of those that was pretty much ingrained in our teenage 90s popular culture. And yes, we all at some point tried out Light as a Feather Stiff as a Board...

I think it retains popularity because there is a lot of reality and relatability in this film, the fantasy elements with the witchcraft only give us a sense of wish fulfilment. How many of us would have loved to cast a working revenge spell on a bully? Or that boy we like who's not interested be bewitched by a love spell? It is only in the second half of the film that it takes a darker turn as we see the consequences of abusing these powers. While quite a tame film in a horror sense, that scene with all the snakes and bugs still makes my skin crawl. And while all four of the lead actresses put in strong performances, it is Fairuza Balk's manic unhinged Nancy who provides much of the films darker and more memorable moments.

"We are the weirdos mister..."

October 4th

The Ritual

Horror in the Woods

After a tragic event leaves one of their friends dead, the remaining four decide to honour him with a hike through Sweden. While on the hike, one of them injures his knee and the group decide to cut through the woods to make up the time and get him to a doctor. Big mistake...

The Ritual does a really good job of building tension in an unsettling environment. Woods are scary at night, super duper scary. The woods scared people in The Blair Witch Project and director David Bruckner takes a page out of that film's scare book. The Ritual's scariest moments are when all you can see are is the beam of light from a flashlight, scanning the woods for whatever the hell just made that sound. There has to be something in the woods, right? Some person, or worse...some thing.

Luke is plagued by nightmares about the night his friend died. He was there and he could have or should have done something. Maybe some of his friends blame him, maybe those nightmares manifest to an insane degree while hiking through these woods. Is something manipulating his mind to relive this terror? The Ritual doesn't give a clear answer on that, but it sure seems like it. One night, each of them experience some form of terror. Luke wakes up in the middle of the woods, bleeding from his chest after his nightmare. Hutch wakes up pissing himself, Dom is crying in the corner and Phil is naked praying to some weird homemade deity in the attic of a rundown cabin. Things only get weirder from there.

I was taken back by some of the beautiful shots in this film. There are shots of the wilderness that could be paintings. Really majestic scenery. The woods themselves act as a character, suffocating these hikers, unwilling to let them go. Who knows what lurks in the distance, but whatever it is, it's evil.

WARNING: "The Ritual" spoilers below
Excellent monster design. It was some weird Wendingo / Norse mythology hybrid of evil that looked grotesque, unique and horrific all in one. Again, some beautiful shots of this monster in front of a burning log cabin just make the film look polished and well made. This monster was cool.

The Ritual is an excellent horror film in my books, blending in the camping nightmare with manifested depression and
WARNING: "The ritual" spoilers below
MONSTERS
. I'm surprised to see the lack of enthusiasm for it. I never read the book, so I can't compare, but I dug the film.

Horror-tober 3/31

Suspiria (1977) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985/film/suspiria/

This was a rewatch and Im noticing a trend when I rewatch Argento films...I absolutely fall in love with them on the first viewing, but they just dont hold up as well on a rewatch. Even one after a couple of years like this was. That isnt to say it is now rubbish, but if you asked me yesterday morning how I would rate this film, it would be a solid 9. After the rewatch, it has fallen a couple of notches.

I still enjoyed it. Probably the best Argento Ive seen (though curiously not my favourite, as Phenomena will always hold that nostaglic little place in my heart) it is slow in places, but it absolutely comes to life when the real horror starts to happen. Anytime a death or murder takes place, the film springs to life with it's performances, lighting, camera, angles, colours, music, everything. It's like the rest of the film is the dress rehearsal, then everyone gives their absolute all when it comes to the gruesome bits! These are the moments that make it. The very grisly murder of Pat Hingle in the first 20 minutes is as good as Argento gets, an absolute assault on all of your senses, reds and blues making all the more nightmarish. The later scene that takes place in the late night Berlin square is the opposite. Dark, all blacks and whites and quiet, but equally as disturbing.

I still like this film, the more mundane segments however are much more mundane second time around. Still a horror essential.

The truth is in here
I've wanted to review this for at least two weeks now. Glad I finally did.
Also, please give my review of The Mummy some support!

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

After surviving the traumatic events of the previous adventure, Kristy Cotton is brought to a mental institution. Wanting to save her dad still stuck in hell, Kristy tries but fails to have her voice heard, until her psychologist witnesses something so unspeakably horrible he decides to help her. But will Kristy make it out this time too?

Hellraiser II is a model example of how to do a horror sequel that feels fresh, while at the same also giving the fans what they want. Kristy goes through the portal again, but this time there's a different villain, and she has a different companion with her.

There are a lot of cool special effects, and some stunningly well-done makeup work and stop-motion animation mixed inbetween there as well. When psychologist Kyle McRae, who was previously cautiously sceptical towards Kristy's story witnesses the murder of a mentally ill man who literally has bugs crawling inside his skin, and later is devoured by someone wanting to look like a "real" human being again, you feel his fear as it looks so incredibly disgusting and realistic.

I liked Kristy and Kyle's dynamic with each other. You can tell how much Kyle cares about his girl even before he believes her, not trying to write her off as a kook unlike Dr. Philip Channard. And when he does believe her, you root for him so badly that
WARNING: spoilers below
when he shockingly gets killed by Julia, it's devastating
. Another notable sidekick is Tiffany, who after a traumatic incident has refused to talk. The way she and Kristy slowly build their trust towards each other is very welldone, and Imogen Boorman does a fantastic job. Her facial expressions and body language communicate what she's thinking so effectively that you don't need her speaking many lines. And when she far into the movie says her first line of dialogue, it's funny.

The main villain this time is Julia, who comes off as possibly even more frightening than Uncle Frank. But damn, if she isn't one of the most hatable characters ever! It was to the point where every second she was onscreen at first, I was full of rage and forgot I was watching a fictional character. It's not until after a while I was able to relax more and not having to feel boiled-up all the time. Philip Channard is a great villain as well, who once he transforms becomes a truly sick force of nature. Frank for the little screentime he has is also still as creepy as he was in the original.

Now, let's talk about Kristy. After this movie I'm convinced: she's one of my favorite horror protagonists. She's fearless yet fearful at the same time, and is pushed around a ton but never ever gives up. How she remains sharp and never gets anyone overpower her makes her both likeable and cool. Clive Barker (who wrote the script) gets that his audience doesn't like being insulted, they love a character who's actually able to think and doesn't make a ton of stupid mistakes so the villain can easily slash her. The story is suspenseful enough that the script doesn't need that.
The director Tony Randel adds a bit more violence, adding to the grotesque and dark nature of this unforgivably cruel yet also weirdly alluring underworld. The environments look hauntingly beautiful.

And there's Pinhead himself, whose role is more prominent, but still only shows up when it's neccessary. Him and the other cenobites still look amazing, with tremendous makeup. Doug Bradley brings an imposing presence as Pinhead, who is not merely out to be cruel, but rather wants to show people they don't want to know what he's capable of. And even with him and the other cenobites' hideous appearance, they are really just people who ended up this way due to circumstance of somber fate. However, I do also have one small bit of criticism with his character this time: he's a bit too lenient. I think he would have posed more of a threat had he not gone "Okay, okay, I'll listen to you for a second". While he's a "fair" leader (as much as you can be there anyway), he also forgets that Kristy is incredibly smart and can outwit him if he's not careful enough. I get this is because Julia and Dr. Channard are more villains than he is, but it did strike me as odd.

The film ends in a similiar manner as the original. The danger is over, but only for now. Pinhead and crew will be back...

Well, at least they didn't make it so that someone destroys Pinhead so massively it wouldn't make sense for him to come back (*cough*Jason Vorhees*cough*).

Hellraiser II will make your hair rise on end. It's a good bit of fun.

The truth is in here
Yeah, it's very close to the spirit of the original, thanks to Clive Barker handling the script. And Kirsty is just the best! She's not far off from Nancy Thompson in terms of female horror icons.

A system of cells interlinked
Starting a list now. I am still catching up after getting back from vacation, so I will post thoughts on the films ASAP.

1. Starry Eyes
2. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
3. House on Sorority Row
4. Intruders
5. Super Dark Times
6. The Babysitter
7. Malevolent
8. Night of the Demons
9. Humanoids from the Deep
10. Mandy
11. Summer of '84

Yeah, it's very close to the spirit of the original, thanks to Clive Barker handling the script. And Kirsty is just the best! She's not far off from Nancy Thompson in terms of female horror icons.
Nancy is my favourite Final Girl! Think that's why I love Dream Warriors so much, because it keeps that link to the original with her in it. Girl I follow on Twitter is doing a daily horror tweet, fave final girl, killer, a different one every day which I'm enjoying following.

Welcome to the human race...
So this is generally considered the best horror of the year so far, but I still had my problems with it. At least I watched it more than once, which is more than I can say for A Quiet Place.

#4 - Hereditary
Ari Aster, 2018

A family is beset by unexplained supernatural phenomena following the death of its grandmother.

This review contains unmarked spoilers.

There's a scene early on in Hereditary set in an English class where the teacher asks if a tragedy is more or less tragic if nothing can be done to avoid it. One student bluntly says "less". Another one not only answers "more" but elaborates on how the sadness of a tragedy is only compounded if people keep trying and failing to avoid it. The scene (and the film's most overt addressing of the idea) concludes, but not without showing how all this is lost on Peter (Alex Wolff), the unlucky chump who is about to start his own inexorable journey through hell - and he's more focused on organising a lunchtime weed session. While most of the stuff I noticed on a second viewing of Hereditary amounted to little more than picking up on bits of foreshadowing here and there, this particular moment was what stood out the most, if only because I questioned whether the film ultimately ended up taking a firm stance on this either/or question or if it left viewers to draw their own conclusions. The plot certainly weaves a sense of inevitability into its tale of Annie (Toni Collette) coming to terms with her mother's recent death and gradually realising how the lingering traumas said mother left behind can only now be read as portents of something even more nefarious than ordinary parental abuse, but whether or not that translates into a film that rewards on either a first or a second viewing is still debatable.

While it's easy enough to acknowledge the more tangibly strong elements of Hereditary - Collette's remarkably committed performance, the sparing use of conventional horror tactics in favour of delivering a slow-burn story that plays more like a standard drama about living with grief than anything else, reasonably effective deployment of said tactics - at the end I still have trouble determining whether or not these elements all build up to a satisfactory whole. This much is reflected in its nominally intense and revelatory conclusion, which ends in a manner that again brings up the question as to whether or not all the suffering and death and futile attempts to prevent this particularly terrible finale are rendered more or less tragic because of its sheer inevitability. It's easy enough to interpret what happens to Peter as an especially dark and twisted "happy" ending as the trauma and grief that has plagued the family for generations (and especially throughout the course of this film) is finally washed away, yet this does not come across as an altogether satisfying or resonant ending - the lasting impression it leaves barely goes beyond "oh, okay then". While there's something to be said for how Hereditary's fixation on various facets of death makes for fairly discomforting viewing, that's only effective up to a point and the moments where it leans into the horror side of things are just as liable to work against such discomforting thematic material as for it.

October 5th

Mother!

Psychological Horror

Unmarked spoilers below, for the entire damn film.

I went in knowing the religious allegories beforehand, which I think helped me understand and possibly appreciate the film more.

Aronofsky starts the film off with a shot of a woman burning, looking directly at us. The house she is in is burnt to a crisp, but it suddenly reverses the damage and becomes a beautiful home. A new day. A new creation. Lawrence, who is mother nature, wakes up in her bed. She is at one with the home, connected, which is the physical representation of Earth. Her husband, Bardem is God. They enjoy each other's company, but he yearns for more. So Ed Harris shows up at his door. They hit it off like old friends and he stays the night.

Lawrence goes to bed, but in the middle of the night hears some distress from downstairs. She investigates and it is Harris, throwing up in the toilet with Bardem at his side, covering his wound on his rib....the next day Michelle Pfeiffer shows up. These two are Adam & Eve. They do well for a bit, but Pfeiffer wants to see what is in Bardem's study. Lawrence repetitively tells her no, but she goes in anyways and accidentally destroys a crystal from his mantel. This was super duper important to him...it was the apple. He boards up the room, no one may enter again. Their two children show up and one kills the other. Cain & Able. At this point, I feel like people with next to no knowledge of religion are extremely lost and it will only get worse for them.

All these people show up to mourn the death of Able. Bardem welcomes them into his home with open arms. Lawrence is like, hey this is weird, but goes with it. People start doing weird things, damaging the house and an unsupported sink crashes down with people sitting on it. Water pipes burst and everyone gets wet. She yells for everyone to leave, they all do. This is the great flood. Lawrence and Bardem argue, he claims he hasn't had any inspiration for his poetry and she claims he doesn't love her anymore because they don't have sex.

So they have sex.

She immediately knows she is pregnant, she just knows. Before we know it there is a baby bump and things look good. He finally gets inspired and writes the most beautiful thing she has ever read. Word gets out without them telling anyone and people become obsessed with his work. They want pictures, autographs, everyone worships him. Try to follow me here now: riot police show up, violence erupts, people cry, kill, rape are behind jail cells. This is all happening in her house at lightning speed. It's an insane sequence that escalates to her giving birth. They run into his office for peace and quiet and have the baby.

He wants to show everyone his new son, she says no. It's a stand off between the two of them until she falls asleep. He takes the child and shows his worshipers. They take the child and he crowd surfs for a bit, peeing all over everyone. She screams at them to give her son back to her and she chases after him. In the chaos...the baby's neck snaps. He's dead.

She freaks the F out.

She pushes everyone out of the way only to find a bloody corpse of her child and everyone is eating the baby. The Body of Christ. Everyone then beats the hell out of her while ripping away at her clothes. He saves her, and tells her he is sad, but they must forgive the people. She obviously says no. Freaks out and goes to destroy the house, burning it all down. She doesn't die, but is burnt to a crisp. He is perfectly fine and carries her out. He then rips open her chest and pulls out her heart, he crushes it and out pops the crystal he had in his study. She fades away as if someone snapped his fingers.

The house then heals itself again, a woman wakes up in bed, it's not Jennifer Lawrence, but another creation.

Damn.

A system of cells interlinked
My thoughts on Hereditary mirror Iro's pretty closely. I liked a lot about the film, but in the end, felt it sort of failed as a whole.

A few comments on the first four films I have watched so far:

Starry Eyes was well done, but dammit if it wasn't just too damned violent. I don't need to be watching stuff like that.

Return of the Living Dead is a classic B-movie, and I always get some laughs out of it whenever I watch it. Not sure it deserves the 91% fresh it has on RT, but it's a fun one.

House on Sorority Row is a tiny step up from the usual slasher clones it is usually grouped with, and is a fairly tense thriller in its own right. The acting is really rough, though, and it is still a cheesy slasher clone when all is said ad done. I dunno, I liked it for what it was.

I didn't care for Intruders - there are much better home invasion flicks.

October 4th New School

Unsane (2018)

Claire Foy plays a woman who is institutionalized after a stalking incident. When she's in the mental institute she believes one of the orderly's is her stalker. The film has a strong premise but the execution is a bit weak.
We find out she's not crazy by the end of the first act, so the entire film is basically the Orderly picking off her friends and continuing to try and gaslight her into loving him

Old School
Witchery (1988)
A Bucket of Blood (1959)

New School
Hell Fest (2018)
Unsane (2018)

Horror-tober 4/31

The Blackcoat's Daughter (alternatively titled February) (2015) https://letterboxd.com/smudgeefc1985...oats-daughter/

What the hell was that? A dull, needlessly twisty non-linear mess of demon possession ****, and probably the worst horror film I've seen in a long time. It was poor enough as is, by then trying to make it like some twist driven thriller just made it even worse. The story was not that complex that it needed non linear multiple stories storytelling to make it work. It just muddied the waters even further. It's an incredibly boring demon possession film, put together into a messed up package that reads like 'how to make a ****ty pretentious hipster horror film' 101. They messed it up that much that their big twisty reveal at the end was not even a twist, and wasn't even clear if it was, it just fell completely flat.

That score as well. Basically just a load of droning background noise that then rose up any time anything was about to happen, telegraphing the 'scares' so blatantly, characters might as well have shouted out a warning.

Absolutely ****ing dreadful with not a single redeeming quality.

My thoughts on Hereditary mirror Iro's pretty closely. I liked a lot about the film, but in the end, felt it sort of failed as a whole.
I dunno....Hereditary is kind creeping on me like Insidious or The Conjuring should have. I think my official rating for it was
but...that's rather conservative of me. I'll be uppping that rating in Letterboxd as the film continued to do its job well after the credits rolled. I'm still getting visuals that hit me as...well...insidious. In retrospect, they pitched Paimon in an interesting fashion, and I'd say the film may work the best on those who know a little demonology, but not in such a scholarly that they could predict what would come next (or even if they do, they can get excited about what's about to happen).

And jeeeeeeeesus, Toni Collette was amazing.

Seems to be low participation this year, haha.
I'm not participating because I don't believe in the competition. I'm just here to join in conversations about movies you guys have watched.