Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Singing in the Rain (Stanley Donen, 1952)

The ambitious and beautifully staged Broadway Melody, a conceptual dream-fantasy dance number, makes Singin' in the Rain so indeed very special.

For anyone who hasn't seen Singin' in the Rain, this 3 minute YouTube clip Link shows you just what you're missing! That video is from the ballet inspired, dream sequence dance that's shown above.

While all of the Broadway Melody number is jaw dropping awesome, I especially loved the set design and color pallet used in the gif. But that gif hardly does the dance segment justice. The woman is wearing a veil that's incredible long, 50 feet! A wind machine is used to blow the veil sky high! It's really a thing of beauty and accentuates the already intrinsic feeling of the set design.

The other segment of Broadway Melody that awed me was the jazz speak easy club number with that same woman decked out in a Louise Brooks style flapper outfit. Her emerald green dress really pops against the deep red background of the set. YouTube Link

Cyd Charisse is that woman. IMO she was the best female dancer to ever glide over the silver screen.

My other favorite number was the duel dance with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor at that start of the film. It's a good dance number and it's fun to compare their styles. And I'm convinced Donald O'Connor was a better dancer than Gene Kelly. Kelly is visible stiff in his upper body, especially in his head, neck and shoulders. Where as O'Connor is fluid from his feet to the top of his head.

I have to say Jean Hagen was great in this! I loved her ditzy, screeching silent film movie star. I'm not surprised she earned an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress. Her and Donald O'Connor were my favorite characters.

Gene Kelly does a good job of being a somewhat narcissistic movie star who's still likeable deep down. That's a role he often played in his films and that character type is probably close to his own personality.

A 19 year old Debbie Reynolds did a good job of it too, but was an odd choice as she was mostly an unknown and not a dancer. I'm not sure why Gene Kelly who was the film's co-producer would choose her? She's not a stand out and the romance part of the film didn't really work for me, but that doesn't matter as the dance numbers are phenomenal.

+

Some Like it Hot (Billy Wilder, 1959)

Marilyn Monroe is smokin' hot in this...Tony Curtis & Jack Lemmon are riotously funny...the supporting cast is a hoot, and the shooting location exotic, but the real star of 1959's Some Like it Hot is Billy Wilder himself.

These days movie fans give a huge amount of credit to the director, but a movie is only as good as its script and if one thing is true of a Billy Wilder film, they have great scripts! Wilder's scripts often pushed the boundaries on social conventions, that's what makes his films so memorable.

Some Like it Hot
took 1950's audiences on an adult themed comic ride, while exploring male/female gender roles. It does this exploration coupled with a well though out story of 1929's Probation gangsters who rub out the competition in the infamous St Valentine's Day massacre. By combing different genres, Wilder is able to give a believably real motivation to our two cross dressing stars. His film goes much deeper than just a Milton Berle style shtick of a man in a dress...Wilder comes up with a real motivation for our two fellows to have to really live as women, so they can save their own lives! That makes a huge difference to the scope of how they act and interact, as women in the movie.

What struck me as very interesting was that Lemmon and Curtis don't hold back as female impersonators. One would expect a 1950's film to have them doing cheap gags, but the two for most of the film behave as if they were women, especially Lemmon. One of the film's funniest parts was towards the end when Lemmon has convinced himself that he's a girl (by repeating over and over) then has a hot date with veteran comic actor Joe E. Brown. The next day he/she is all giddy over the diamond bracelet and announces he/she will marry the millionaire. That prompts the line from Tony Curtis:
"You're a guy! And why would a guy want to marry a guy?"
Just the idea that Jack Lemmon living as a girl would marry Joe E. Brown must have ruffled more than a few feathers....Billy Wilder is really pushing the envelope by exploring different aspects of genderism here.

The film is fun without being overly silly, it flows without ever going astray. I loved the idea of using older actors from the 1930s to play the gangsters in this period piece film. We not only get George Raft but Joe E Brown, Pat O'Brien to name a few old timers...And then there's Marilyn in that Orry-Kelly gown, damn I though she was topless for a second! What a provocative dress! Even the back side stuns with a deep plunge right down to her assets.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	some-like-it-hot-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v4.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	58081  

Teacher's Pet (George Seaton, 1958)

I liked it! I'd seen it before like 12 years ago and I liked it then too. Funny thing is I didn't remember a thing about the movie, so it was almost like watching it for the very first time. And I found Teacher's Pet very watchable. I never got bored and found the story and the sets interesting.

I don't know what it is about old b&w movies set in a newspaper's main room with all the hubbub and clanking typewriters, but it makes for a visually exciting set. Speaking of visually exciting, Mamie Van Doren added some zest with her on-stage performance of The Girl Who Invented Rock and Roll, which sounded a bit like Elvis' Heartbreak Hotel. Oh, that was Mamie actually singing in the movie too.

I think the highlight for me was seeing a very young Marion Ross (Happy Days TV show). I got a kick out of thinking I was seeing her back in the actually 1950s. She was great on Happy Days and she added alot to Teacher's Pet too.

Of course the stars of the movie are Doris Day and Clark Gable. I thought Gable did quite well here and made for a good, hard boiled newspaper editor. Of course any movie with Doris Day is going to win points with me. I got a kick out of her hairdo which was a feminine form of the DA hair cut, also known as the 'duck ass' that cool guys wore in the late 1950s. You can mainly see her unique hair in the school office scene when she turns and walks away from the camera. I swear the back of her head looked just like Fonzie's. No wonder they got Mrs C. (Marion Ross) to be in the movie

The big standout to me, and this was a surprise, as I didn't know he could do comedy so well was....Gig Young. I'm not real familiar with his body of work, but I kinda thought he was a matinee idol hired for his looks, but nope, he can do comedy too! BTW he had an Academy nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role.

So yeah, I liked the movie a lot as a drama with some light comedy. I'm not surprised to read that the original script was a straight drama, then when it didn't sell some comic touches were added. So while I didn't find it all that funny, I sure did like it.

The Odd Couple (Gene Saks, 1968)

This is twice now that I've seen Neil Simon's 1968 comedy hit, The Odd Couple...and both times I didn't find it funny. I mean there's nothing much funny about suicide, which was a big part of the film's first act. And suicide jokes are an integral part of the entire movie...and the driving force behind Felix Unger's neurotic suicidal character. I found Jack Lemmon's Felix, annoying. He was much more grating than funny. Oscar's bullying of Felix just turned the negative energy way up. I mean Walter Matthau brings an aggressive ugliness to the character of Oscar Madison, that makes him unpalatable. Did I mention how gross that poker table was? With the pile of smoldering garbage, Ugh!

I want to feel happy when I'm watching a comedy and the only time I did was when the kooky Pigeon sisters came for a dinner date. That's when the movie got better for me and that's because Felix stopped being so annoying and Oscar stopped being such a brute. But why in the hell would Felix cook lowly meatloaf for a dinner date? And as persnickety as Felix is, why didn't he know to turn off the stove so the meatloaf wouldn't burn to a crisp? And while he was cleaning everything in sight, he forgot to clean those filthy apartment walls!

I did however like the way the movie wrapped things up as it ended on a positive note for Felix. I mean he gets to stay with the Pigeon sisters, hopefully he doesn't drive them to suicide...and Oscar realized Felix was his best friend after all.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Stuart Paton, 1916)

I think I've seen that rubber octopus before hanging out with Ed Wood Jr. Probably not the same eight legged prop as used in Ed Wood's Bride of the Monster (1955) or later reused in Ed Wood (1994).

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was the most interesting silent films I've seen and the most disjointed. It was interesting because we see a 103 year old film that for the very first time showed movie goers what the bottom of the ocean really looked like. That alone must have made movie goers imaginations soar with images of exotic corals and sponges....and sharks, big sharks!

But it's George and Ernest Williamson who are the real stars of the film. These brothers invented a means to film underwater by using long watertight tubes fitted with mirrors that allowed them to film the ocean below. It's fitting then that the film starts off by introducing them to the audience. They look like nice, friendly chaps too!

The other interest is, the filming on a real tropical island. I assume it was in the Bahamas as that's where the underwater filming was done. The combination of real swaying palms on idyllic beaches coupled with men actually walking on the sea floor must have thrilled early 20th century audiences.

Like a modern, eye-candy CG film, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is all about the spectacle. The story itself was wildly disjointed with elements of Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island being incorporated into the story line and sub plots that made little sense at all. Most abruptly the film changes gears at the end and attempts to tell a concocted back story of Captain Nemo. What results is a movie that is amateurishly directed and acted but delivers maximum visual thrills for audiences of a century ago.

3 Bad Men (John Ford, 1926)

Before he was making talkies with John Wayne, director John Ford was cutting his film teeth making grand epic silent films. I'd call his silent film, 3 Bad Men a masterpiece of story telling and a cinematographic tour de force. I mean, wholly oxen, there were sure a lot of horses in the race for gold country scene! Talk about staging and use of extras, I mean those wide angle shots are something special to behold.

And there were even some big strong oxen with equally big heavy yokes pulling those wagons. Which is historical correct...I believe that the pioneers favored oxen over horses to pull those prairie schooners across the plains, as horses tired to easy.

As much as I was impressed with the on location shots and the massive staging of men and beast, the story itself lost me at times. Oh, it's a richly detailed story with many a character. But for me in the 21st century I find silent films hard enough to follow but when they have complex stories I get a tad bit distracted...not the movies fault though. Though it's a film that requires full attention.

I guess I didn't really ever care much or feel I knew the characters. The 3 bad men seemed to be the most fleshed out, with the most personalities. I can't say the dark haired girl or her boyfriend had much character development, and I'm still confused about the bad guy sheriff. I mean I know he was a baddie, buy why was he so bad? And why was he and like a 100 men trying to stop or kill the lead wagon? Was it just to get first choice in the land grab?

Murder by Death (Robert Moore, 1976)

With a star studded cast, a script by Neil Simon and a creepy old mansion filled with spoofs of literary's greatest detectives, 1976's Murder by Death should have scored a knock out comic punch.

Instead the jokes are as stiff as a dead butler, the premise as thin as the hair on James Coco's head, and the sets are spartan. But what really killed the film for me were the low hanging fruit jokes. Those broad comedy, one liners, were delivered by actors who seemed to be sleep walking their lines. As a result, comic timing and delivery nuance, which is everything, was missing. Very few of the jokes were funny to me and some of the ethnic slander jokes were hard for me to watch.

The plot is paper thin, the detectives arrive at the mansion and are seated at the dining room table...then one of them will leave the room and later return to find that it's mysteriously empty. Then in the next scene all guest are back in the dining room. And that's, the big mystery of the movie.

We later learn that the house has a 'sliding dining room' that can be electronically moved around the house. In other words there wasn't enough money to build additional rooms for extra scenes. The simple plot reminded me of Scooby Doo. I half expected Truman Capote to say at the end, "I would've gotten away with my plan too if it hadn't been for you meddling kids, err...I mean detectives."

Yes, it was nice to see so many stars, though most were mediocre in their roles which surprised me. Elsa Lanchester is usually the highlight of any movie, but here she was wasted. David Niven and Maggie Smith's characters were the only ones I really liked. Peter Falk's take on Sam Spade was downright creepy.

I'm really surprised to learn that this wasn't a made for TV movie. One good thing about watching this, I now have a desire to rewatch William Castle's House on Haunted Hill.

I'm a little surprised at this rating. I might have agreed with it when I first saw the film as my parents took me to see it and I had little understanding who the characters were supposed to be - all I realized was that Peter Falk seemed to be imitating Humphrey Bogart for some reason.

Your criticisms are valid, but the movie is a comedy spoof not just of famous detectives but of books & movies that came before (people invited to a house who begin to disappear one by one).

This is a movie that's gotten better for me over time, probably because as I got older I became more aware of the characters being spoofed. (I only saw my first Nick & Nora "Thin Man" movie a few years ago.)

I kind of liked the humor for the type of satirical film this is (the jokes aren't all home runs, but consistently silly enough for chuckles.) Most of all I liked the concept of bringing unrelated characters who never could meet due to copy-right laws together in one place (thus my thread about crossover films).

I used to dislike the non-ending ending (as it intentionally makes no sense), yet I've even grown to appreciate that as Simon's mockery of poorly ended (cop out) detective fiction... (nothing more frustrating than a detective novel that makes little sense at the end, or has the culprit be someone barely mentioned in the plot or some other lame contrivance where the author couldn't bring all the loose ends together.)

It reminded me of Airplane!
I was waiting for that!

Fun trivia: William Powell originated the screen persona of Nick Charles in the first set of Thin Man movies. David Niven played the spoofed version (Dick Charleston) in Murder by Death. William Powell originated the screen persona of Godfrey in My Man Godfrey in 1936. David Niven reprised the role in a remake in 1957. (Was this an impetus to cast him in the role satirizing Powell's Nick Charles?)

Personal trivia: Due to Murder by Death, I spent decades thinking the characters of Nick & Nora Charles were a couple of married British slueths (due to their spoofed portrayal by David Niven & Maggie Smith), but later learned they were always 100% American in both book & movie form as played by William Powell and Myrna Loy!

I've only seen one Thin Man movie, the first with Powell and Loy. I liked it, but not all that much. So I don't really have a connection to those characters.
Me neither, but it was only on a re-watch of Murder by Death that I became re-aware of them, so when I saw The Thin Man (most likely on TCM) not long after that I thought I'd check it out (expecting something British!)
I was surprised to learn the characters weren't British!

P.S. I also used to get the The Thin Man and The Third Man mixed up by their titles - that is until I watched them! For a long time I thought "The Thin Man" was kind of a joke about Orson Welles, or an irony that he starred in it, then got quite fat later in life... when actually I just had the titles mixed up!

More trivia: Peter Falk and Eileen Brennen kind of reprised their roles from Murder by Death (1976) in The Cheap Detective (1978).

Yet, this was not a sequel or a prequel, nor were they playing the same characters (although I hear Falk essentially did the same shtick: imitating his "Sam Diamond" imitating Bogey's "Sam Spade").

I've never actually seen it, but hear the leads were mostly the same characters... mostly.

MBD alumni James Coco was in it also.

Singin' in the Rain is my favorite musical, being one of the first non-Disney ones I saw as a kid. There were Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz, and a couple of Rodgers and Hammerstein movies, but this was a standout for the way it handled the early cinema culture.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
More trivia: Peter Falk and Eileen Brennen kind of reprised their roles from Murder by Death (1976) in The Cheap Detective (1978).

Yet, this was not a sequel or a prequel, nor were they playing the same characters (although I hear Falk essentially did the same shtick: imitating his "Sam Diamond" imitating Bogey's "Sam Spade").

I've never actually seen it, but hear the leads were mostly the same characters... mostly.

MBD alumni James Coco was in it also.
The Cheap Detective (1978) might be more to my liking. Interesting, I've never heard of that one. I'm not a fan of Peter Falk, but I should give that one a try.

It's been a while since I saw it, but if I remember correctly, The Cheap Detective was less goofy than Murder by Death, and it had more of a straight-forward plot than Murder by Death. It was more of a Bogart spoof than a bunch of old detectives.

The Cheap Detective was not as good as Murder by Death, but since you didn't like Murder by Death, maybe you'll like The Cheap Detective.

It's been a while since I saw it, but if I remember correctly, The Cheap Detective was less goofy than Murder by Death, and it had more of a straight-forward plot than Murder by Death. It was more of a Bogart spoof than a bunch of old detectives.

The Cheap Detective was not as good as Murder by Death, but since you didn't like Murder by Death, maybe you'll like The Cheap Detective.
I was thinking of looking for it, that is if I can find it.

7th Heaven (Frank Borzage, 1927)

"For those who will climb it, there is a ladder leading from the depths to the heights - from the sewer to the stars - the ladder of courage."

Emotionally a very powerful film and that's thanks to the two wonderful leads, Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. Both seemed very human, and that's something that isn't always the case with silent films. In 7th Heaven the couple really shines and drew me into their world, where desperation is swept aside by a strong belief in one's self. That's a great conceptual theme for a movie. That idea is shown at the start of the film as Diane (Janet Gaynor) lacks belief in her own future and literally lays down in the street to die. That's after having been beat by her wickedly cruel, absinthe guzzling sister. It's Chico (Charles Farrell) who's a unique fellow (kinda of like me) who believes hard enough and positive enough that he makes his own heaven on Earth. I loved that line they had, Chico - Diane - Heaven!...That says more than many sound films ever do. It's a great tribute to the power of love, I bet Huey Lewis would agree

Janet Gaynor was so good at evoking empathy that one just wants to hold her little head up and say, 'Believe! Diane, like Chico believes and you won't be afraid anymore.'

I like the way the director uses the climbing of the stair case to the attic apartment to represent and ascent to heaven. I also liked how he used the dangerous looking catwalk to represent mind over matter, with fear being defeated by hope and love.

I kind of wish the ending had been more bittersweet with Chico not returning from the war. In that way Diane who naturally would be devastated by his death, has to then ultimately carry on the lesson Chico taught her and continue to believe that heaven is where you make it.