GOLIATH

Tools    

Watched the first episode of Goliath last night. Billy Bob Thornton, along with Dennis Quaid and Beau Bridges star in a tale of water theft and agriculture corruption in California's central valley.

It's a different feel and subject matter from the first two seasons. Could be a good one!

Available on Amazon and streaming services.

~Doc

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Watched the first episode of Goliath last night. Billy Bob Thornton, along with Dennis Quaid and Beau Bridges star in a tale of water theft and agriculture corruption in California's central valley.

It's a different feel and subject matter from the first two seasons. Could be a good one!

Available on Amazon and streaming services.

~Doc
It was different. The promos made it look too much like Lovecraft magic, but it was interesting. I felt the last half of the season was thin, but I finished the season so there was something there to hold my attention. Probably Quaid. For me, it's kinda on par for season 2. Maybe a little less nearer the end. And a few dots of silliness, but still kinda fun I guess.

I'd be curious to get your take as you get deeper in?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

It was different. The promos made it look too much like Lovecraft magic, but it was interesting. I felt the last half of the season was thin, but I finished the season so there was something there to hold my attention. Probably Quaid. For me, it's kinda on par for season 2. Maybe a little less nearer the end. And a few dots of silliness, but still kinda fun I guess.

Will do, bro.

Finished up the 8 part Goliath third season last night. The series is as much noir mystery as it is a legal drama. It's interesting that of the principal actors, there are only one or two who are under 50, so we're treated to the work of several veterans: Along with Thornton, D. Quaid and B. Bridges, we have Paul Williams, William Hurt, Illeana Douglas, Graham Greene, and Amy Brenneman. It's a first rate cast, and one wonders if several aren't cronies of Thornton's.

I liked the feel of the show. It had a dreamy quality with a few scenes bordering upon the supernatural, which was enhanced by much higher quality cinematography than were used in the first two seasons. The writing was better, and the series shed the Hollywood glossy feel of the earlier shows set in Santa Monica. The setting of California's central valley, with its semi-desert flora and nut tree farms leant itself to a nice contrast between ethereal and reality.

Quaid did an exceptional job of playing against type-- a shrewd good ole boy billionaire rancher who has his tentacles wrapped around his fellow farmers as well as the California government. It must have been a challenging role for him --avoiding his natural affable and joking manner-- but he brought it off. Thornton, as attorney Billy McBride, gave an even performance with continuity and style. He's one of those actors who's sneaky good.

And there were great secondary performances: by Nina Arianda as McBride's ambulance-chasing partner; Illeana Douglas as an intuitive barfly; and Julia Cho as McBride's wacky wannabe employee.

There was an unusual ending. But it certainly allows for a fourth season if they get the go-ahead.

Doc's rating: 7/10

I finished the first season, and just started the 2nd season now. They really put together some exceptional casts for this show. Billy Bob Thornton is one of those actors that you like, and doesn't have to do much to win you over. Like a good ol' boy version of Sean Connery, has raw charisma & charm.

2nd season Is different in storytelling style, reminds me of Breaking Bad. I like it. Each season has their strengths, more powerhouse acting in first season (William Hurt, Molly Parker) but both come out equal.

I finished season 3. At first it was being very disappointing but it won me over and the show overall is exceptional still.

Kudos to Dennis Quaid! He did a fantastic job, and was more entertaining than anything I've seen him in recently.

Season 4 is coming, but Amazon says it'll be the last season. I hope they have William Hurt written into the story and in bunches.