25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Well, if you're any kind of film geek, you should!

Now that Iran is checked, my next to-do is Chile. I can't believe I haven't seen any movies from there yet.
Do you know how many different countries you have seen films from and how many countries are still on your need to see list?

Do you know how many different countries you have seen films from and how many countries are still on your need to see list?
I'm at 42 now. There's 197 total, many of which will probably remain empty. I don't think places like Palau or Tuvalu will ever have film industries.

I was inspired to do this by a Jeopardy contestant who planned to read a novel from every country in the world. Now that would be an undertaking!

I'm at 42 now. There's 197 total, many of which will probably remain empty. I don't think places like Palau or Tuvalu will ever have film industries.

I was inspired to do this by a Jeopardy contestant who planned to read a novel from every country in the world. Now that would be an undertaking!
That's cool. According to my Letterboxd account, I have seen films from 81 different countries.

Palauan director Urundu Muki when he read this post

That's cool. According to my Letterboxd account, I have seen films from 81 different countries.
Wow! Well, I'll have one more (Portugal) when this one's over. To quote Tiana from Princess and the Frog, I'm almost there.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I keep track in my phone's notes and copy them into movietab every month in case I lose them.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper but the problem with Letterboxd is that if a country had any involvement with a film, it gets counted.

So for example I'm showing one movie from the United Arab Emirates, which turned out to be Shorts by Robert Rodriguez. The Revenant counts as a Taiwan film for some reason. So I'm showing 84 countries right now, but that's a bit misleading. Samsara alone accounts for 23 of my countries.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper but the problem with Letterboxd is that if a country had any involvement with a film, it gets counted.

So for example I'm showing one movie from the United Arab Emirates, which turned out to be Shorts by Robert Rodriguez. The Revenant counts as a Taiwan film for some reason. So I'm showing 84 countries right now, but that's a bit misleading. Samsara alone accounts for 23 of my countries.
That's true. It is the same with IMDB. If you do an advanced search and select Taiwan, The Revenant and some other American films come up. I don't know of a website or tool though that doesn't have that same problem or an easier way to sort films based on the primary country.

I don't know of a website or tool though that doesn't have that same problem or an easier way to sort films based on the primary country.
Right, and I should add that it's still fun to scroll around the Letterboxd map anyway.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Following program has been classified as "Not a Musical"
And now, Jenny with the Weather.

Les Misérables (1935)

Jean Valjean: Remember, as was once told me: life is to give, not to take.

Victor Hugo's indictment to the Jucidial System at the time would sentence ten years of horrendous abuse, working its penal system for the theft of a loaf of bread. Time served, the now labeled "Convict" would then be denied, not only work, but lodges, nor would said "Convict" be permitted admittance anywhere to purchase food.
Jean Valjean (Frederick March) is doggedly pursued by a rigidly adherent to the entire length of the Law; Police Official, Inspector Emile Javert (my man! Charles Laughton) who remembers him from prison. The length of the pursuit covering some seventeen odd years.

Coming in at only 1h 48min, its counterparts averaging at least 3h, it is the most concise, bare-boned rendition that is, for me, a f@ckin great watch. My first viewing was during the 30's Countdown. I rank it exceedingly high amongst the other (Non-Musical) versions I've seen so far. Laughton's performance was beaten only by Geoffery Rush in the 1998 version, by my current tally.

This is an incredible saga adapted with all the glory of a Thirties B&W filming industry. The palpable shadows were adding to the building tension of a good man relentless pursued by an Officer of The Law.

Also, a personal highlight, John Carradine's (always brilliantly) theatrical "We demand action--" outburst in the tavern during the Law Student Revolt.
I can't find a photo but you'll see him.

THANK YOU, @cricket, for giving me a revisit

Themroc - Is this a joke? You know if you wanted to do a french comedy...Etaix or Tati would have been a better option

Bicycle Thieves - Likely a front runner to win this, I do look forward to dissected this one.

Sundays and Cybele -Well it's always nice to get French New Wave films in this, I think I watched this and forgot about it.

Vertigo -This will be my third time with this one...I'm not a huge fan of this type Hitchcock film but it's worth another look.

American Movie - Never saw it but always interested in it.

Les Miserable - Eh...of the all the adaptations that could have been picked the often used Les Mis.

Chimes at Midnight - Not high quality Welles but I rushed through it the first time so I'd like to give it a critical evaluation.

The Long Goodbye - My pick....actually Rules likely should have gone White Material as I gave him three options. I like noirs and I feel like this hall should get this one

Whiplash - first viewing I thought this was the best film of the year...front runner to win.

About Elly - never heard of it, looks like it might be hard to watch/find.

BlacKkKlansman - It's a good one...getting a little tired of African American cinema to be honest with you.

The Truth - Cluzot is one of my favorite directors I was sort of saving this one

The Green Years - looks fine

Top four seems set in stone, with The Long Goodbye, Bicycle Thieves, Whiplash and Vertigo but still looking forward to any surprises.

Chimes At Midnight: Started out with one I knew would be tough sledding for me. I probably missed about 2/3 of this unfortunately. Next time someone nominates a Shakespeare adaptation they are going to have to hire my high school English teacher come in ver so I’m can pause every three lines for interpretation.

Anyway, movie looked really cool and the tone was a lot of fun. Despite only partially knowing how we got there the ending got to me a bit.

Les Miserable - Eh...of the all the adaptations that could have been picked the often used Les Mis.
I picked it because it's the only one I've seen and only 3 other members have seen it. Which others would you recommend? The 1934 version is long but looks very intriguing.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
La Vérité (1960)

A fine film.
Brigitte Bardot wasn't the best actress but she had more charisma in one finger than most actresses have in their entire body. She carried the movie and did a good job in portraying Dominique's descent into madness.
I like how the movie opposed the simpler, promiscuous and anti-intellectual world of Dominique to the conservative and misogynistic world of both Gilbert and the judges. And the fact is that Dominique and Gilbert fell into a toxic relationship, where they were both victims and perpetrators, and that could only end badly.
The film is well directed and edited, the pacing is tight and it kept me interested from the very beginning till the end. Even knowing how it ends from the beginning, the scene where she kills him is very strong!