Late 1960s female high school teacher drama

Tools    

I saw this movie once many years ago, but I have no idea what it's called.

It was basically a story about a young woman in her 20s who gets a teaching job at some American high school. Things I do remember -

There is an older male teacher who tries to reassure her on her first day and makes a joke that on his first day of teaching English he said that he made the mistake of saying that reading literature allows intercourse with the greatest minds in history, or something similar.

There is a male student who resents her (says something like "why did the new teacher have to be a broad?" ) and when she visits the school psychiatrist she says that he is homosexual and has self abusive practices.

There is a sort of rebellious, troubled student and there is a hint if sexual tension between them, but there is no actual relationship involved.

It was late 60s I'm sure, probably 1967- 1969.

Up the Down Staircase

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/u...staircase-1967
Her first lesson comes in the first two minutes of her first class, when she quotes Emily Dickinson ("There is no frigate like a book") and the students hoot with laughter. A veteran teacher suggests maybe she should have substituted "steamship."

That's the one! Thanks, I was wondering if I'd be waiting weeks for a reply.

I'm sure I've heard the "intercourse with the greatest minds" joke before, but if it was from this movie I'll have to wait and see...