Adults watching 'kids' movies?

Tools    

Well, the problem I have with kids movies is that they tend to be conservative and lack any sort of artistic innovation. The reason is that when they make a kids movie, Western movie directors tend to dumb down the movie purposefully for the audience since they assume children are more stupid than adults (which is, actually, usually the inverse: people between the ages of 10 to 17 are smarter on average than adults).

However, there are many exceptions to this rule. Here is a list of some of my top kids movies:

Notice that most good kids movies are Japanese. The reason is that Japanese people do not dumb down their kids entertainment. Also, always watch movies in their original language.

Seven Samurai is a kids movie?

And didn't you type like a 100 thousand words against people who called stuff like Totoro and Spirited Away "kids films"?

Or maybe that was a joke, it's late here and i've got a headache, forgive me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
So I am 17, and most of the movies I see in theaters are animated movies. Like Despicable Me, Finding Dory, and even Paddington. However, I do still watch movies targeted towards an older audience, like Hunger Games, Logan, and other PG13/R movies.

Does anyone think it's a problem that over teens and adults still enjoy movies targeted for a younger audience. Personally, I think it doesn't matter what you watch, as long as you are interested in it and enjoy those types of movies.

There's nothing wrong with adults watching movies targeted for a younger audience. They're called "family movies" for a reason.

I'm over 50 and I still love family movies. Some of my favorites are WALL·E, the Despicable Me movies, the Ice Age movies, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, the Lilo & Stitch movies, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, The Muppet Movie, Anastasia, and many more.

Just watch whatever makes you happy, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Welcome to the human race...

And didn't you type like a 100 thousand words against people who called stuff like Totoro and Spirited Away "kids films"?

Or maybe that was a joke, it's late here and i've got a headache, forgive me.
I was more baffled by the inclusion of Fanny and Alexander.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
It's not something I personally enjoy and it's not something I necessarily understand. My parents have friends who are also in their 60's and they went to Inside Out, Minions, etc. I just don't know how those kind of movies could be stimulating for an adult, but nobody can tell you what you can and can't watch, except maybe China.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Definitely not a problem. I may have kids, but there are times when I have to enjoy a kids movie myself now and again.

I'm more baffled that he continues to push the depth and artistic innovation of KiKi's Delivery Service.

The movie has always sent me straight to sleep. Maybe that's what is meant.

Wonderful movie, but not sure if kids would enjoy it.

The movie has always sent me straight to sleep. Maybe that's what is meant.

Wonderful movie, but not sure if kids would enjoy it.
It always baffles me that people find Seven Samurai boring. Its over three hours but always eazy to get into for me. Havent seen Fanny and Alexander (but i really want to) but its rated r so i doubt it could b e considered a kids movie even if its about kids technically.

Heres the best kids movie ever!

That film is brutal.
It's scarface with kids! :3

But seriously powerful film and one of my favorite films of the 80s.

Scarface is too stylized and Hollywood-y, City of God is more like Scarface with kids. Pixote is grimy and realistic feeling, it's horrendous...but in a good way.

They may be targeted for a younger audience, but it's a fallacy to say movies such as Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Despicable Me, The Incredibles, the Wallace & Gromit movies, Trolls, Shrek (et al), Ice Age, etc are just for children. There's too much adult themed humor in them! I'm over 40 and I laugh my @$$ off!! And, really, just because it's animation, doesn't mean it's for children -- case in point: Watership Down, Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, Rick and Morty, Fritz The Cat...

Scarface is too stylized and Hollywood-y, City of God is more like Scarface with kids. Pixote is grimy and realistic feeling, it's horrendous...but in a good way.
I know but its always the comparison that comes to mind for some reason. Pixote definitely hits you in the gut much harder especially since it involves children in an all too real situation.

Yeah, ditch the windowless van and trench coat, they draw too much attention.
Is that why those kids keep running away from me?
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I know but its always the comparison that comes to mind for some reason. Pixote definitely hits you in the gut much harder especially since it involves children in an all too real situation.
It reminds me more of Ratcatcher with violence. Mostly just a 'kids facing a bleak reality' thing, they aren't that similar in general.

I went through a phase where I had no room for "kids" films. But I grew out of it. Its nice to be old and open minded. I no longer feel the need to prejudge based on category. In fact, as an adult I think I enjoyed The Secret Garden and A Little Princess more than my step daughters did. lol. And someone mentioned Spirited Away which is simply a classic.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I went through a phase where I had no room for "kids" films. But I grew out of it. Its nice to be old and open minded. I no longer feel the need to prejudge based on category. In fact, as an adult I think I enjoyed The Secret Garden and A Little Princess more than my step daughters did. lol. And someone mentioned Spirited Away which is simply a classic.
I like that it can take you back to your childhood. I still watch Fantasia, infact one of my older brothers recently took his daughters to see this at the cinema.