Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

We are still accepting nominations...cricket
Thank you but with more of a limit on time recently, I've been focusing on first time viewings. That's why I haven't been joining all of the HoFs lately.

Thank you but with more of a limit on time recently, I've been focusing on first time viewings. That's why I haven't been joining all of the HoFs lately.

We aren't doing a time limit for this one, I want the 1977-1999 one to run for Christmas-April 1st because that one should be another behemoth so you got plenty of time.

All right, might as well start. I've seen two of the films recently so I'll do my write-ups on them.

Blazing Saddles

This was my own nomination and I think it's a masterpiece. It's actually the only Mel Brooks I've seen (looking forward to Young Frankenstein), other than his short film The Critic. First of all, Blazing Saddles could never ever be made today, in a world with Political Correctness and SJWs. This movie would be shredded by those types of people... but they don't understand that the movie is actually making fun of white people and racism through it's hundreds of horrible jokes about "n*****s" and rapes and overall the bad aspects of American culture. All the white people in this movie (with the exception of the Waco Kid) are absolute idiots who have no idea what they're doing, so when this movie is criticized for being insensitive I just have to laugh. Besides its political importance, Blazing Saddles is just a good time. It's so creative, and every scene is a delight. Of course the plot is in the background, as with most spoofs. Its a parody of a Western, so its the classic "innocent people of the village vs. Cowboy murderers" type of thing. And Mel Brooks plays it out perfectly. There are legitimately catchy songs, great jokes, fun characters, and much more in this film, one of the greatest comedies of all time in my opinion.

Dr. Strangelove

This is my favorite comedy ever (if you don't count Pulp Fiction as comedy), and one my favorite movies of all time, so I don't believe anything else will top it in this HoF... however, I could be pleasantly surprised, I hope I am! Dr. Strangelove, Stanley Kubrick's magnum opus, is a re-imagining of the Cold War in which things don't end up so good as they did in real life. The best thing about Strangelove is the little moments and gestures. Kubrick makes a great movie into a masterpiece by inserting little scenes that will build characters and ideas. In the end, Dr. Strangelove is about the relationship between war and sex.... and Kubrick is convinced, and I guess has convinced me that those two things are very connected. There are so many sexual innuendos and references, like Major King "riding the bomb" and Dr. Strangelove finally standing up at the end (is he physically having an erection or am I pervert) and so much more. I also don't really get how people don't find this movie funny, it's probably the oldest movie I've seen that I actually laugh out loud at (anything before that and I just chuckle a bit at some moments). The phone call, the water fluoridation, the plane scenes, they're all hilarious. Dr. Strangelove is not only great political comedy, it's great entertainment, which is just as important. Kubrick hit it on the nail with this one, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Strange, I've actually seen 10 of these nominations before that has never happened.

Most of them are really decent choices actually.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Need you back in the general 20th brosif!

Strange, I've actually seen 10 of these nominations before that has never happened.

Most of them are really decent choices actually.

Well nobody nominates comedies so now this is a chance for all the classics to shine it's an under-served market. You're more than welcome to join

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think this is the only HoF I've ever been in where I've seen all of the movies beforehand, (and I have all of them on DVD or recorded on DVD-R from TCM). Three of them I just watched within the last few months, 5 of them I haven't seen in years, so they're due for a rewatch, and 7 of them are among my favorite movies.

There are a few movies that I've only been lukewarm towards when I saw them in the past, but they're movies that I could have predicted would probably have been nominated, so I already pulled out my DVDs for the rewatches, and I'm hoping they get better for me with multiple viewing. (I'm intentionally not mentioning the titles because I want to watch them with an open mind, as if they're new watches, and I want to give them a chance to climb up on my list this time. But I'll let you know which movies they are when I write about them after I watch them again.)

This is going to be a great HoF!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WOW some serious all-time greats and a few I haven't seen. VERY VERY impressive!!

Blazing Saddles (1974) Nom'd Ahwell One of my two top favorite Mel Brooks that I've watched over and over again.

Charade (1963) Nom'd Siddon Don't think I've ever gotten to see this so -- YAY

Divorce American Style (1967) Nom'd Gideon58 Haven't not seen but pretty happy to final get to

Doctor Strangelove(1964) Nom'd Siddon Haven't seen this for decades and honestly, not really sure if I've seen it in its entirety, so another YAY

Hobson's Choice(1954) Nom'd EdArsenal Delightful film, not hilarious, but very delightful.

Murder by Death (1976) Nom'd gbgoodies LOVE this film!

The Odd Couple Nom'd Gideon58 Been FAR TOO LONG since I've watched this and always enjoyed the TV show as a kid as well.

Pillowtalk (1959) Nom'd Gulfport Doc I MAY have seen this as a youngster, so great opportunity here.

A Shot in the Dark (1974) Nom'd Gulfport Doc Huge fan of the Pink Panther films and was seriously considering one of the first ones for this, so pretty happy to see one of them make it.

Singing in the Rain (1952) Nom'd Ahwell Ya know, I don't think I've ever watched this except in bits and pieces so, yet another YAY

Some Like it Hot (1959) Nom'd Citizen Rules LOVE this movie and SUCH a big hitter for this HoF

Teacher's Pet (1958) Nom'd gbgoodies Completely unknown so thank you gbg for nominating it

What's Up Doc (1972) Nom'd EdArsenal Actually nominated this for the 70's HoF and COULD NOT let it go by without entering here.

Young Frankenstein (1974) Nom'd Citizen Rules annnd we round off with my second Mel Brooks favorite

LET THE LAUGHTER ENSUE!!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Teacher's Pet (1958) Nom'd gbgoodies Completely unknown so thank you gbg for nominating it
I was hoping to nominate movies that most people hadn't already seen, so I'm glad to hear that I accomplished that with this movie. I hope you like it.

Murder by Death (1976) Nom'd gbgoodies LOVE this film!
This wasn't actually my first choice for my second nom, or even my second choice, but it was high up on my list of backup noms.

My first choice was the Jack Lemmon movie It Should Happen to You (1954), but I was informed that Jack Lemmon already had some movies nominated in this HoF, so I was given the choice to change my nom to add a little variety to the HoF.

My next choice would have been How to Murder Your Wife (1965), but that also stars Jack Lemmon, so I chose to skip that movie as well.

Murder By Death (1976) was actually my third choice, (after I crossed off a couple of other Jack Lemmon movies), but I almost didn't get to nominate this movie too, as I was informed that it was already nominated by someone else. Fortunately that somebody was our host Siddon, and he graciously offered to change his nom and let me have it. (I offered to let him keep it and I'd pick another nom, (which would have been Barefoot in the Park (1967)), but he allowed me to nominate it, and he chose another movie.)

Thank you @Siddon. If by some chance it wins, I'll be happy to share the credit for the nomination.

I think Murder by Death is a great dark horse in this field. What I was worried about and what makes me excited about this one is that I don't think we're going to have one person have both their noms come in last. I always get a little anxious about that, especially when I saw Pillow Talk and Some Like it Hot both received nominations as those are more of the major works from Lemmon and Day.

Charade ended up being my eighth choice I didn't think I would go with a Hepburn film. I was looking at Sleeper, A Boy and His Dog, Divorce Italian Style, Good Morning, Parade, Mister Roberts, Murder by Death, Smiles on a Summer Night.

Nobody picked anything foreign so I decided that wasn't going to be an area I was going to focus on. I then saw the Lemmon films and I was we got two big ones no point in something lesser and then Cosmic was thinking of joining and I know he's a science fiction guy I left off the two sci-fi comedies.

I realized last night that I probably won't be able to join this HoF after all. There's a lot coming up in the next couple of weeks that I'd forgotten about (since I was so focused on inventory lately), so I'd rather just finish the Animation HoF at a normal pace, rather than rush to finish both that one and this.

As for the nominations, I love Blazing Saddles, Dr. Strangelove, and Young Frankenstein. I'm pretty sure I have multiple copies of all three on DVD/BluRay. I haven't seen Murder by Death, but it looks interesting so I'll try to watch that one if I have time.

There is one well-loved film nominated that I absolutely hated every second of and would not want to rewatch, but I promise it's not the reason I'm ducking out haha. I've seen most of the other nominations as well, but it was so long ago and I remember very little about them that they'd might as well be new watches.

I haven't seen four of these, and that's a good thing

Hobson's Choice (1954) Nom'd EdArsenal
Divorce American Style (1967) Nom'd Gideon58
Blazing Saddles (1974) Nom'd Ahwell
Murder by Death (1976) Nom'd gbgoodies

I've seen these but most of them I've only seen once and well over 10 years ago, so a rewatch will be fun.

Charade (1963) Nom'd Siddon
Doctor Strangelove (1964) Nom'd Siddon
The Odd Couple (1968) Nom'd Gideon58
Pillowtalk (1959) Nom'd Gulfport Doc
A Shot in the Dark (1974) Nom'd Gulfport Doc
Singing in the Rain (1952) Nom'd Ahwell
Some Like it Hot (1959) Nom'd Citizen Rules
Teacher's Pet (1958) Nom'd gbgoodies

I've seen these two more recently in other HoFs

What's Up Doc (1972) Nom'd EdArsenal
Young Frankenstein (1974) Nom'd Citizen Rules

speaking of Jack Lemon I had very seriously considered The Great Race which would have seen a repairing of Curtis and Lemon and in the end, did not.
Good movie! I considered a number of Doris Day and Audrey Hepburn films, so I'm glad each of those ladies got a film in the HoF

I haven't seen four of these, and that's a good thing

Hobson's Choice (1954) Nom'd EdArsenal
Divorce American Style (1967) Nom'd Gideon58
Blazing Saddles (1974) Nom'd Ahwell
Murder by Death (1976) Nom'd gbgoodies

I've seen these but most of them I've only seen once and well over 10 years ago, so a rewatch will be fun.

Charade (1963) Nom'd Siddon
Doctor Strangelove (1964) Nom'd Siddon
The Odd Couple (1968) Nom'd Gideon58
Pillowtalk (1959) Nom'd Gulfport Doc
A Shot in the Dark (1974) Nom'd Gulfport Doc
Singing in the Rain (1952) Nom'd Ahwell
Some Like it Hot (1959) Nom'd Citizen Rules
Teacher's Pet (1958) Nom'd gbgoodies

I've seen these two more recently in other HoFs

What's Up Doc (1972) Nom'd EdArsenal
Young Frankenstein (1974) Nom'd Citizen Rules

Same here.[ Citizen...there are four I've never seen.