Rate The Ghostbusters Films

Tools    

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters 2

Ghostbusters(2016)

The original is a classic, 2 I always thought got a raw deal if that was the only Ghostbusters movie ever made I would be happy with it. As for the remake, it wasn't funny and it wasn't scary. It felt like this soulless corporate product, everything was clean and packaged but their was no joy in the film.

Welcome to the human race...
You managed to work up the interest in bumping this thread just to repeat the same sentiment you put in the first post.

I simply haven't seen the new movie yet, no harm in mentioning it in a relevant topic.

Anything else pertaining to Ghostbusters is in the trash where it belongs.

Both animated series were really good. Been so long since I last watched either.

Ghostbusters (1984) -

Ghostbusters (2016) -

Haven't seen the second one

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Both animated series were really good. Been so long since I last watched either.

I liked the animated series as well tbh.
There's a few episodes that still hold up today.

I don't get why they never drew upon Extreme Ghostbusters for a third movie tbh.
They had some pretty decent new characters in that.

GB:

GB2:
has gone up in my ratings since the remake came out...
Remake: Refuse to watch.

I simply haven't seen the new movie yet, no harm in mentioning it in a relevant topic.
I can understand if you just wanted to bump the thread, but there's no point in bringing up the new one if you haven't got anything new or relevant to say about it either.

I don't get why they never drew upon Extreme Ghostbusters for a third movie tbh.
They had some pretty decent new characters in that.

Wasn't GB3 at one point supposed to be based off of it? I wouldn't have minded it.

I think there was a similar script at one point tbh.
It was an old Ray recruiting a group of youngesters. At one point Emma Stone was attached.

I think there was a similar script at one point tbh.
It was an old Ray recruiting a group of youngesters. At one point Emma Stone was attached.

I remember hearing that. I wouldn't have been against something like that, maybe the original Ghostbusters could've had an important role later on. There was an episode of Extreme Ghostbusters like that.

Since everyone else is using the popcorn icon to rate:

1 -

2 -

Childhood nostalgia is strong with both, which is why I rate both so highly. I'll see if I finally give the reboot a whirl maybe this coming week, I'm sure my library has it or can quickly procure me a copy.

I think if you're willing to accept the ways in which Ghostbusters II either recycles or re-interprets various concepts from the original, then you might be able to do the same with the reboot.

1.Ghostbusters

2.Ghostbusters II

3.Ghostbusters (2016)

Ghostbusters to me is a prime example of a close to perfect comedy. The sequel isn't nearly as good, but with the same cast, and crew it's hard to hate. I don't think the new one is anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Average, but perfectly watchable. It's good for a single watch, there's some good stuff in there.

The best Ghostbusters sequel to me is the 2009 video game, it's great.
Your rating of the 2016 is a little generous IMO.

I think if you're willing to accept the ways in which Ghostbusters II either recycles or re-interprets various concepts from the original, then you might be able to do the same with the reboot.

I don't generally mind it too much when a sequel shares similarities with it's predecessor so long as there's still enough that's new and different enough to still make it distinctive without feeling overly more of the same. I know it was only the trailers but the reboot looked so silly from the trailers it was off-putting.

Recently I decided to check the reboot out on a whim and rented it from my library but the DVD copy I borrowed froze up within the first five minutes or so and is thus unwatchable. Hate when I end up with a defective rental DVD. I'll either have to try for another copy or wait for it to hit cable. I don't subscribe to services like Netflix (got to keep my bills down), so the latter is likely to be my best bet if I can't get a working copy.

Ugh, I tried renting the new film from the library yet again and STILL got a defective copy, it stopped around mid-way through (after the concert sequence). I'll just see if I catch it on cable or on Netflix as I'll be starting a trial with them soon, mainly to watch Stranger Things Season 2.

What I saw of it, well, it wasn't as bad as expected but not good, either. Jokes fell flat, no scares or humor as with the first two, visuals and ghost designs are very cartoony-looking unlike those of the first two where they looked real. When it came to the new characters, I find I actually didn't mind Erin or Jillian, but could've easily done without the other two. The rampant stereotyping was pretty annoying and even insulting in some instances. I feel I can't fairly rate it as I haven't finished watching it, but so far I'm not impressed at all, though it also wasn't nearly as bad as expected. Probably right now my rating hovers around a 5/10.