26th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Watching Tower tonight, but just wanted to say going through all of the reviews….Daisies was fun and great and full of more energy than I expected. It’s a shame it didn’t connect with most, but it was exactly the type of film I sign up for when I participate in these.
I had a couple reservations with Daisies, but I still enjoyed the film quite a bit. Like my nomination, I expected for it to receive mixed reactions, but strange and unique films like Daisies are one of the reasons I enjoy participating in these Halls.

The trick is not minding
I had a couple reservations with Daisies, but I still enjoyed the film quite a bit. Like my nomination, I expected for it to receive mixed reactions, but strange and unique films like Daisies are one of the reasons I enjoy participating in these Halls.
If Jinn was still around, he’d have a word with you 😜

I don’t know if it’s a new favorite, but I enjoyed the allegory and message

If Jinn was still around, he’d have a word with you 😜

I don’t know if it’s a new favorite, but I enjoyed the allegory and message
Was Jinn a fan of Daisies?

I wouldn't call it a favorite either, but I still thought it was pretty good.

The trick is not minding
Was Jinn a fan of Daisies?

I wouldn't call it a favorite either, but I still thought it was pretty good.
He was yeah, he had mentioned it during there foreign film countdown as a film from the Czech New Wave he had considered. I know Minio is as well. It was in his recent top 300.

Let the night air cool you off
Angel-A

Being artsy (in any way) and being sentimental is a dangerous thing, especially when you have a message about loving yourself, and not just loving yourself, but also actively attempting to better yourself. Cynicism and nastiness is the much preferred style of cinema, because it's easy to find other people to hate and blame for society's failings. But this film here pretty openly wears its heart on its sleeve and goes for a French New Wave thing that ueno mentioned, that immediately sets apart from the rest of the films in this hof. Does it make it better than the rest of the films in this hof? No, but sometimes it's not productive to judge yourself based on your competition. It's sentimental, sure, but I am okay with a little bit of heartwarmth every now and then.

Not Quite Hollywood

I am guessing this movie is made for people who don't plan on watching any of the films actually discussed. People unlike me. While I haven't made my way around to many of them yet, I've had my eyes on several of them for a good minute now. But this documentary didn't really seem to capture any magic. Does the magic of Ozploitation actually exist? I am hoping so, but if it does, this documentary didn't really do a great job of shining a bright light on it. Maybe I am just not keen on behind-the-scenes stuff, or maybe just not behind-the-scenes stuff of stuff I haven't seen the actual scenes of. I don't want to know how the hot dog was made before I eat it, but that's the sort of thing that comes with context. If I would have seen a bunch of these films beforehand, maybe I'd be feeling differently. But, I also think part of the purpose of this film is to shine a light on this wacky wave of films for a broader audience, which is admirable. However, it fails, at least to me, because outside of Patrick, I don't want to see any of these films more now than I did before I watched. I'm also bummed out about being spoiled on the Patrick scene, which I guess could be (in)famous enough that maybe I should have known about it. But it also just makes me think that even with shining the light on these films, maybe they don't really care if you watch them or not. This could just all be a matter of taking documentaries about film, but I don't usually go out of my way to watch documentaries about films or filmmaking. I'd rather just watch the films.

….Daisies was fun and great and full of more energy than I expected. It’s a shame it didn’t connect with most, but it was exactly the type of film I sign up for when I participate in these.
I surprised myself by actually really enjoying Daisies. I thought it was a good nom for this HoF which I said in my review (at least I think I said that)

Lmao, my picks never do well but they always seem to get the most discussion at least. That might not be the case next HoF as I think I'm going with something a lot more conventional (will still do poorly).

You all have one week left to finish this thread. Here's where everyone stands as of now:

@BooBooKittyFock (5/12)
@edarsenal (10/12)
@jiraffejustin (10/12)
@seanc (10/12)
@Siddon (9/12)
@Wyldesyde19 (9/12)

The deadline to finish this is December 15th. I don't plan on extending the deadline.

Lmao, my picks never do well but they always seem to get the most discussion at least. That might not be the case next HoF as I think I'm going with something a lot more conventional (will still do poorly).
A lot more conventional than Daisies and Themroc still isn't very conventional.

I am thinking I might add some genre to the next hof I am in. Not Quite Hollywood has at least inspired me in that way.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Who wants to host the next HoF, btw?
It's been a while since I have, so if no one else jumps in, I just might

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Daisies (1966)

Okay, let me take a shot at this.

The world is messed up.
Two girls decide, since it's messed up, they'll be messed up.
In contradiction of Society and How You're Supposed To Act, they act out. Foolishly. Mockingly. At the core of Society: sharing a meal.
Which seems to be a springing board they continually bounce off of, repeatedly.

Why?

To confirm their existence, and when ignored, they finally decide to be happy.
And the world continues to be messed up.

Is that right? Am I close?

I'm not sure.
But that's okay because whatever it is, or was, beyond acting out against the restrictions placed upon them; I just saw children making noise so that they are noticed, and I would rather walk away than acknowledge the annoyance button they seemed to jump up and down on with me.

So, I do get it. The refusal to be quiet, be still, and act pretty and to let loose and rail against it.
Fight the Good fight, my dears, and good luck with that but, to quote a great and wise man, W.C. Fields, "Go away, kid, ya bother me."