The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Critics

And some info about #97, Werckmeister Harmonies...

It currently has a 98% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics.

Meanwhile, the film has a 8.1/10 score on IMDb (with 13,710 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"Bela Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies is maddening if you are not in sympathy with it, mesmerizing if you are. If you have not walked out after 20 or 30 minutes, you will thereafter not be able to move from your seat. 'Dreamlike', Jim Jarmusch calls it. Nightmarish as well; doom-laded, filled with silence and sadness, with the crawly feeling that evil is penetrating its somber little town."
While Philip French, of the Guardian, said:
"The central thrust of this pessimistic fable is obvious, though individual sequences are frequently puzzling. It's shot in static or very slow-moving long-takes; the monochrome images are deliberately oppressive; the pace would strike the organisers of a state funeral as excessively slow."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @ScarletLion said:
"Long scenes, long takes, little dialogue and bizarre in parts, but extraordinarily beautiful... My first ever Tarr movie. And it's probably in my top 100 movies of all time."
While @BlueLion said:
"Werckmeister Harmonies is enigmatic, mysterious, and one hell of an experience. The film looks minimal and feels natural despite the ambiguity surrounding it, and its black and white photography combined with the film's mood and use of location help to give the work a sense of timelessness: it doesn't matter where, why, or when the film is taking place, it is a work which is universal in its themes, and which could be seen as a metaphor for life itself."

Haven't seen The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, but it's been on my watchlist for a while. Werckmeister Harmonies is great, but it didn't make my ballot. It probably would've made my top 35 though.

Also, I guess Mr Minio should've submitted a ballot after all.

Anyway, speaking of me "crushing it", here comes ROOKIE MISTAKE #1

The entry that I will post now as #98 is actually #99. The thing is that both were tied in points, but I missed that one was in more ballots than the other, which would've put it above the other.

Anyway, even though it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, I apologize for any inconvenience. I already double-checked and triple-checked all the ties, all of which are in the backend 50, so I expect no more slip-ups.

In the meantime, both entries will appear in their "wrong" position for now while we make some fixes backstage.
Boo, worst host ever!!!

I wonder how many places into the list we'll have to get before I've actually seen one of these?

I don't plan to ever watch Life Aquatic if I can get away with it (i.e. it's never nominated for a Hall of Fame I'm participating in), since I have yet to see a Wes Anderson film I don't despise on some level. They tend to be very pretty films, but that's about it.

Werckmeister Harmonies on the other hand seems like something I could theoretically enjoy...assuming I'm in the right mood if I ever sit down to watch it.

Seen: 0/4

My List:
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Also, I guess Mr Minio should've submitted a ballot after all.
Not sure if he's a fan of The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Boo, worst host ever!!!
I thought he'd at least get it right in 'The List' in the second post but sadly, nope - same mistake

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Werckmeister Harmonies was my #20. Glad it scraped in here after missing out on the foreign language countdown.

I like some Wes Anderson but I didn't really enjoy The Life Aquatic.

I thought he'd at least get it right in 'The List' in the second post but sadly, nope - same mistake
I thought about it, but since the regular entry is at #98 anyway, I decided to leave it as is to avoid further confusion. If we do any database changes to the entries, then we can go back and fix the list so everything is tip-top.

I thought about it, but since the regular entry is at #98 anyway, I decided to leave it as is to avoid further confusion. If we do any database changes to the entries, then we can go back and fix the list so everything is tip-top.
You know what, it's nearly Xmas so Imma gunna accept this and leave your Host Rating unchanged for now. If it happens again though.....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Anyway, speaking of me "crushing it", here comes ROOKIE MISTAKE #1

The entry that I will post now as #98 is actually #99. The thing is that both were tied in points, but I missed that one was in more ballots than the other, which would've put it above the other.
Yeah, someone who's been here for fifteen years would never make a mistake like that in a countdown

So not only is This Is England not on the 100 but it's only a one pointer? You people are ****ed and this list is dog****.

It's been a long time since I watched Life Aquatic, but I recall not liking it. Given my history with Anderson's other movies, I don't think a rewatch would improve anything.

I've never had any desire to watch Werckmeister.
Quoted for truth.

Jason X was my one-pointer. I am happy that nobody else voted for it. It's a bad movie, but it's a lot of fun to watch, so it is a good movie.
You're lucky I didn't send in a list because, considering my dislike of the 00's, you know it'd be high up on my list.

Like a few others I've not heard of Still Walking. Not seen the rest either and only Master & Commander is something I might want to at some point.

I had The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou as my #12 film. It's my favorite Wes Anderson film. Maybe not by a ton, but definitively.

I really just have two things I want to say about it:

First, I saw it with my friend Adam. Adam and I are very different people. We're friends because we've known each other since we were 10. We are very much the kind of friends whose friendship is based on history and the firm belief that we'll always be there to help the other out, even though we have wildly different tastes in most things. We saw this film together (I have no idea why), and we both loved it. That felt, and still feels, very significant to me.

Second...

WARNING: "Life Aquatic" spoilers below
The climactic scene with the Jaguar Shark is wonderous and moving in a way I can't explain. It seems particularly strange that it would be so affecting given how simplistic and low-tech the effects are, and how it's viewed on this tiny little screen-within-a-screen, but it is breathtaking. My best guess for making rational sense of this emotional reaction is that it's all in the anticipation, and the tonally perfect choice in music. Whatever it is, I adore it.

The more I think back on Anderson's other films, the more it stands out as not just exceptional in terms of quality, but exceptional in that I can't think of many other moments of emotional climax he chooses to punctuate like this.

You know what, it's nearly Xmas so Imma gunna accept this and leave your Host Rating unchanged for now. If it happens again though.....

Quick question to @Yoda or any mod... is there some way I can cash in or redeem those "reputation" points?

Sure. For 20,000 you get one of these:

For 50,000 you get to use the f-word one time, but only if it's about a Michael Bay movie.