The Conners

Tools    

I know there's a thread called "Roseanne Series Makes a Comeback" but this show has earned its own thread. After watching six episodes, I have to reiterate, and it still feels weird saying this, but the show is better without Roseanne. No matter what Roseanne or anyone else says, I really liked the way the character of Roseanne was written off, it made for some intense nervous drama at the beginning that totally worked. Watching Dan deal with his loss has been must-see TV, even if John Goodman looks like hell. Sara Gilbert has totally stepped up and become the anchor of this show that Roseanne was. It's a little disturbing the way the character of Becky has been turned into a hot mess of an alcoholic but it is making for a lot of laughs. Also enjoying the addition of Jay R Ferguson as Darlene's new boss/potential love interest. They even found a plausible role for faux Becky Sarah Chalke. I don't care what anyone says, this show is totally working.

I agree that the show is working @Gideon58; , and I think it's due to a superb writing and acting staff; keeping it funny and keeping me watching.
I also do like the guy playing Darlene's love interest, and enjoy seeing how that relationship is evolving. And I agree that Gilbert has become the mainstay ' mom' figure. Hilarious at the end of this week's show, when she and Becky were giving - or not giving - relationship advice. The blind leading.....lol.

The show also has two very strong and gifted actors ( and characters) - in John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. These talented veterans of stage and screen know how to interact in a way that is like musical band members jamming off each other's riffs- all the while keeping it well paced, witty and aurhentic.

We' ll see what happens with Becky, and the baby, but I was glad she decided not to wind up in a child care arrangement that looked like it would be laced with land mines.

I would part ways on one issue, by saying I still miss having Roseanne in the show. She still
( to me) was the essence of the show, and did get the show established on good footing. But fortunately for cast and audience, they are able to carry on without her- doesn't always happen with all shows.

The Conners is so far, one of the few 'reboots' that holds my interest and measures up to the quality of the original show. And it's certainly justified that you started this new thread

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm enjoying "The Conners", and I think it's better without Roseanne Barr, but it's still not great.

I think if they focus most of the show on Jackie, Dan, and Darlene, and avoid most of the kids, it could become a great show. However I hate what they did to Becky. She was never that much of a mess.

I like Darlene's boss/love interest, (the guy from "Living Biblically"), but I just don't see them as a couple. I'd like to see them bring back David after "The Big Bang Theory" ends. I think he could liven up the show, even if he and Darlene don't get back together.

I thought Matthew Broderick was an odd choice for Jackie's guy. I haven't given up hope of him being a good edition to the show, but I just don't see him fitting in with the rest of the family.

I'm enjoying "The Conners", and I think it's better without Roseanne Barr, but it's still not great.

I think if they focus most of the show on Jackie, Dan, and Darlene, and avoid most of the kids, it could become a great show. However I hate what they did to Becky. She was never that much of a mess.

I like Darlene's boss/love interest, (the guy from "Living Biblically"), but I just don't see them as a couple. I'd like to see them bring back David after "The Big Bang Theory" ends. I think he could liven up the show, even if he and Darlene don't get back together.

I thought Matthew Broderick was an odd choice for Jackie's guy. I haven't given up hope of him being a good edition to the show, but I just don't see him fitting in with the rest of the family.
I, too, am not thrilled with what they're doing to Becky. I understand she's still grieving Mark, but turning into an alcoholic bed-hopper is just a bit much.

Ep 7 was hysterical....loving Sara Gilbert and Jay R Ferguson together...loving Matthew Broderick too.

I agree with you about Sara Gilbert and Jay R Ferguson, but Matthew Broderick just feels out of place in this show.

Got home last night too late to watch the show. Anyone see it? If so, how was it?

Thanx- I meant the ep this week
( last night) . Glad to hear you're still enjoying it @Gideon58

Omg what part did Katy Sagal play? Guess I'll catch up next week....oops, next week is Xmas, guess I'll catch up next year.

Just dropping by to say I am really enjoying this show. I like how the overall storyline is flowing, and it's still funny and real. John/ Dan is terrific - one of the most authentic characters on tv, and I get a kick out of sister Jackie. With two great actors like that, you can't go wrong.

The piano lesson with Darlene , son and bf just rings true as to how something like this would happen in a working class family, And the quick witted quips and repartee are just great ( like Dan using the popcorn timer to cut short Jackie's emotional, clingy hugs lmao) .

The situations and jokes all go by fast enough that I'd even watch the show in reruns. I' m happy and a little surprised to say that, for me, this is one of the few reboots that is able to capture the magic of the original show when it was at its best.

Did anyone realize the next season has started (lol) ? I missed the earlier ep ( or eps) b/c I was out but managed to catch this one.

It still is engaging, and the one liners, and back and forth wisecracks are as snappy and funny as the old Roseanne show,

The ditzy girlfriend Blue, for example, just makes for a goldmine of merry sarcasm. From Darla of course, , who has basically stepped up to take over the Rosanne role.

The only thing that bothered me a little is that these real life problems they face are getting a bit....weighty. I think someone here mentioned about being troubled by Becky's drinking- and I found it a bit glum to watch too. The repartee is great and Dan so terrific- still my favorite reason for tuning in the show. I think we've all known someone like Dan , I know I have- and you'd be missing out in life if you didn't. Just hope they keep the sense of buoyancy I remember from the first ( and the second) Rosanne,

I wonder if anyone else is watching and their opinion? As for me, it's worthwhile enough that I' m still going to follow the show.

Did anyone realize the next season has started (lol) ? I missed the earlier ep ( or eps) b/c I was out but managed to catch this one.

According to IMDB, season 2 hasn't started yet. It's not scheduled to start until September.

Really ? @gbgoodies ...Then what am I watching?

Really ? @gbgoodies ...Then what am I watching?

Maybe reruns of season 1? (My DVR automatically records the new episodes, but not the reruns, so I don't know what episodes aired recently.)

If you check IMDB, you can compare the synopsis of the episodes to what you watched to find out what episodes you saw.

Thanks @gbgoodies. I guess I missed a number of episodes from the first season, so I didn't realize these are reruns. Don't remember why I missed the eps, but glad to have the chance to watch and enjoy them now.

Just watched a funny one which involved a Halloween party. OMG Matthew Broderick was perfectly obnoxious as Jackie's d**k boyfriend. Loved Dan's reaction to him.

I think John Goodman is going to be on another TV comedy this fall too- even without knowing what it's about, I' m looking forward to it.

As expected, the season 2 premiere was funny and smart...Harris Healy is definitely her mother's daughter. I was confused by something though...during the season 1 finale, we were informed that Ben (Jay R Ferguson) was moving to Chicago for a new Job and that Darlene was considering moving there with him. When we came back last night, Ben was still here, no mention of the new job and what happened with it, and Darlene is now having an affair with David? I kind of expected David to be written back into the show now that Big Bang Theory has ended. but I don't like the thought of Darlene hurting Ben, he's really sweet. Loved the fight that Darlene and Dan had over raising Darlene's children too...they both got some good shots in. This season premiere did not disappoint.

As expected, the season 2 premiere was funny and smart...Harris Healy is definitely her mother's daughter. I was confused by something though...during the season 1 finale, we were informed that Ben (Jay R Ferguson) was moving to Chicago for a new Job and that Darlene was considering moving there with him. When we came back last night, Ben was still here, no mention of the new job and what happened with it, and Darlene is now having an affair with David? I kind of expected David to be written back into the show now that Big Bang Theory has ended. but I don't like the thought of Darlene hurting Ben, he's really sweet. Loved the fight that Darlene and Dan had over raising Darlene's children too...they both got some good shots in. This season premiere did not disappoint.

I agree with you about Ben being sweet, but I have a feeling that Darlene will end up back with David. I thought Darlene and Ben weren't really right for each other anyway, so I won't be upset if they break up, but I'd like to see them find a way for him not to get too badly hurt if she goes back to David.

I think she's going to end up back with David too. I'm pretty sure they only wrote him off originally because he was still committed to The Big Bang Theory, but since that show is over, I'm sure Johnny Galecki was approached immediately.

Just finished ep 2...the Ben/Darlene/David triangle is heating up quite nicely and I'm seeing another curve being thrown into this story that I didn't see coming...is it just me, or does Jackie seem to be attracted to Ben? Yes, she's been encouraging Darlene to return to Ben but the way she talks about Ben keeps coming off as her fighting an attraction to him? Anybody else seeing this? Boy that would make for some explosive comedy and drama because you know the minute Jackie makes a move on Ben, Darlene will lose it, even if she is leaning toward David right now, because, even though she's in denial about it, Darlene is LOVING these two guys fighting over her. It was also great to see Meagan Fay return to the show as Austin's Grandma...for those who don't remember, Fey played Cathy Bowman on season 3 of Roseanne. I also have to reiterate my two basic problems with this reboot that have not changed...why has Becky been turned into a brainless bimbo for this reboot and when are they actually going to give Michael Fishman (DJ) something to do? Darlene and David's son, Mark is getting more screentime than Fishman and I'm bothered by that.