Swiss detain Roman Polanski

Tools    

I spent a night in a County lockup in Maryland. Barely a jail, definitely not prison. Still, it didn't encourage me to ever return.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah, I mean, maybe not in Maryland, but in Cali, guys are sleeping in the corrner in their own piss. Lovely and intoxicating.

That was obviously not my point. I did. How do you know he already didn't? It goes with the territory. Oh yes, oh yes, it does! Wrong! It does. (At least it did when they busted him and sent him to Psych. He was definitely in the system, just as I was.)

It seems Hollywood is collectively coming to the defense of Roman Polanski. It's like they're trying to prove how tolerant they are, yeah very tolerant of a fellow disconnected millionaire, movie maker. If Roman Polanski was the director of Critters, or Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, you wouldn't hear a peep out of them. Artistic achievements shouldn't factor in to judging one's actions. If he was a ditch-digger in Illinois, he would still be serving his original sentence.

Then on the flip side, this is another one of those cases that proves that children are more important than people in this society. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, rape is rape, but had his victim been a fully grown woman, or man, then the anger wouldn't be nearly as visceral. Like all these female teachers who have sex with teen students, I don't hear anyone bring up locking them up for life, or even hear of them being harassed near as much as male molesters, strange considering that male molesters are practically driven into seclusion.

Anyway, back on topic, I think that there is a disproportionate amount of both anger and sympathy for this man.

...uh the post is up there...

Look, I really don't know what Polanski's "excuse" may have been. Maybe, as Iroquois mentioned, he just felt he was enveloped in the plot of Chinatown, this time on the Noah Cross Side. Booze and Drugs were involved. But I think the reason many felt for him up front was his relationship to the Manson victims, and then later on, he seemed to be another victim. I'm not saying that he wasn't the biggest abuser in the specifics of his own case because he was and wouldn't be in his situation if he hadn't instigated inappropriate activity. It's just that a lot of people, including the victim in this case, feel that he's been punished enough, especially based on the entirety of his life.

You ready? You look ready.
It premiered on HBO back in June of 2008. So yeah, he did miss it when it aired on cable.
Did you not even read the post above you?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Happy New Year from Philly!
No.
Sure it's not meant to be too groovy though.
Polanski best not **** any 13 year old girls then...OOOPS! Too late!

Better to get this sorted, who says there will even be any prison time anyway, as the time he may serve will not be that long now and its better than facing the rest of your life (he's an old guy now) still as a fugitive. A film making fugitive who can't even collect his own Oscar no less.
Maybe if you had been to jail you might understand why Polanski is not all fired up to get on a big ol' jet airplane to sunny California. Closure isn't all it's cracked up to be especially when it means you become a guest of the state.

I knew a man who had done what Polanski confessed to and he went to jail for his crime. Twenty years later another fourteen year old girl accused him of rape again. Rather than face the ordeal of a trial or jail time he killed himself.

I don't feel particularly sorry for Polanski, but I understand his tremendous reluctance to head back to the US.

not without paying some serious money, anyway.

If Roman Polanski was the director of Critters, or Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, you wouldn't hear a peep out of them.
LMAO! Now this is right on the nail! Indeed you would not.

I have already stated that I think there were many circumstances that should be taken into consideration, and that the girl was no ordinary 13 yar old by anyone's standards.
But a crime is a crime...and yeah, if Polanski had only directed "Pirates" no one would give a crap.

I don't feel particularly sorry for Polanski, but I understand his tremendous reluctance to head back to the US.
The Director of "Jeepers Creepers" does okay.
And actually not wanting to go to prison is I'm sure a tremendous reluctance which is shared by any criminal. Hardly worth caring about through.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I was just responding to this post of yours, which states that Polanski is 'stupid' for fighting his extradition.

Seems Polanski is going to stupidly fight an extradition.
Just get it over with, get it sorted out so you can move on, you foolish little man!
I am arguing that there are worse things than living in limbo and getting caught and allowing the system to eat you up is one of them.

I sincerely doubt even Polanski thinks any American justice system will ever eat up an Oscar winning, world famous and lauded movie director.

I mean ****, he's got Whoopi Goldberg on his side...He's laughing.

that 13 year old was clearly not in her right mind

... I mean ****, he's got Whoopi Goldberg on his side...He's laughing.
You do know she's Satan, don't you?

Anyway, everytime I'm in this thread, this song starts playing in my head.

&feature=PlayList&p=C9E25BD227D65447&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

Speaking of extradition, Marc Emery was sent off to the U.S. to sit in prison for five years for selling marijuana seeds to Americans from Canada. Here in Vancouver I can walk into a variety of stores and buy them legally.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The legal thing is a farce and I agree that he should just be let go if you asked the legal leaning side of me. OTOH, I hope he goes to prison and gets raped. Simple enuff.

Anyway, back on topic, I think that there is a disproportionate amount of both anger and sympathy for this man.
Isn't it always disproportionate with the media/celebs? We see them disproportionately anyhow becaue of their success. They make excellent targets. Personally, aside from his work, I could give a **** about Roman Polanski's life/past. Who i really feel sorry for is the girl.
She said publicly that she just wanted to be over. Now if I had gone through something like that when i was 13, let' not get TOO personal now, then it would be like re-living the whole damn thing over again. once is enough, thanx.

The legal thing is a farce and I agree that he should just be let go if you asked the legal leaning side of me. OTOH, I hope he goes to prison and gets raped. Simple enuff.
True Dat!

By a 13-year old girl?