9. Lawrence of Arabia
10. Andrei Rublev
11. The Graduate
12. 81/2
13. Persona
14. The Wild Bunch
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

3. Manchian Candidate
11. The Graduate
15. 2001
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

1. Jules & Jim
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
3. The Manchurian Candidate
4. La Dolce Vita
5. Yojimbo
6. Psycho
7. Breathless
8. Once Upon a Time in the West
9. Lawrence of Arabia
abstain - haven't seen Andrei Rublev
11. The Graduate
12. 8 1/2
13. Persona
14. The Wild Bunch
15. 2001
16. Dr. Strangelove

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
1. Jules et Jim
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
4. La Dolce Vita
5. In Cold Blood
6. Psycho
7. To Kill A Mockingbird
8. ?
9. Lawrence of Arabia
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
11. The Graduate
12. ?
13. ?
14. The Wild Bunch
15. Midnight Cowboy
16. Dr. Strangelove
What about:
West Side Story?
Breakfast at Tiffany's?
Splendor in the Grass?
The Longest Day?
Days of Wine and Roses?
My Fair Lady?
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte?
Romeo and Juliet!

come on!

Love Story?
Five Easy Pieces?

Agh!
*props for choosing La Dolce Vita, though.

That first list of eight movies you made, Sades, are all obviously inferior to the selections given.

As for Love Story and Five Easy Pieces, they're '70s flicks. Besides which, Love Story is beyond horrible no matter what the year.

Obviously inferior? Ex-squeeze me? Breakfast at Tiffany's? This some kinda joke? My Fair Lady? I honestly find it difficult to understand how anyone can do anything but love that movie. Bow before Henry Higgins' brilliant song about women. Hilarious and clever.

"I'm a good girl, I am!"

I love Audrey Hepburn as much as the next guy and I think My Fair Lady is lots of fun... but it's hardly a great movie. Hepburn's accent is TERRIBLE. "Wouldn't it be luverly".

And West Side Story takes the prize for worst lead actors...EVER!

My Fair Lady is fine and a good mainstream Hollywood musical (though no Singin' in the Rain), but it's not better than any of the other 32 movies on the list. Which would you expell in favor of Lady? Want to see an amazing musical experience? Track down The Umbrellas of Cherbourg sometime. THAT is an amazing flcik (but it was up against Strangelove the first round, so bye-bye it goes).

I'd boot 2001's boring a**, is what I'd do. And I don't care how much crap I take from the Kubrickheads here for it. My Fair Lady has, and always will be, a "smile movie" for me...a flick I can't stop grinning at. Quite a shame it's been excluded...but, one of these days, we'll probably vote on these kinds of things ALL over again, with a larger, more encompassing voting tree. Maybe it'll get a shot then.

Maybe. Set up a Musicals tournament, it has a definite shot at advancing a round or two then.

I don't care if you like 2001 or not, but can you at least acknowledge that it is a very highly-regarded film by many, and was a gigantic leap forward in visual effects if nothing else? To leave it off of this kind of list would be a glaring error, like it or lump it.

I don't think it would be a giant error, but yeah, I'm not shocked or upset that it's on there. A lot of people are gaga over it. Hey, good for them. I'm not on the verge of a thread boycott here...but I sure as hell ain't gonna agree with it's inclusion.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
That first list of eight movies you made, Sades, are all obviously inferior to the selections given.

As for Love Story and Five Easy Pieces, they're '70s flicks. Besides which, Love Story is beyond horrible no matter what the year.
I thought Love Story and Five Easy Pieces came out in '69. Hmp. No matter.

You're smoking crack if you think Romeo & Juliet, Splendor in the Grass and Days of Wine and Roses, are inferior movies. C' mon, which movie would you rather sit through AGAIN...Z? Or Splendor in the Grass?

come ON! This was the decade for light hearted musicals! Ya snobs!

Oh wait...Holden doesn't have a heart, he probably cringes when he sees Audrey Hepburn or Judy Garland.

BTW- West Side Story was fun.

I adore Audrey Hepburn unreservedly as an actress and as a human being, and I enjoy My Fair Lady...but it ain't Jules & Jim or The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. And Z is an amazing flick. For me, three better movies Audrey was in during the '60s were Two For the Road, Charade and Wait Until Dark. And yet I wouldn't substitute any of those for the thirty-two on the list either.

Judy Garland had a nice voice at one time, though I never thought she was much of an actress - even as a kid or for light comedy and musicals. But it's impossible for me to separate her from what she became in the later years of her life, which was a pill-popping, alcoholic, self-parody to pitied, not admired.

But in general I feel no real pressing need to defend my taste to someone who thinks Love Story is anything but a horrible, vomit-inducing joke.

1. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
2. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A
6. N/A
7. To Kill A Mockingbird
8. Z
9. N/A
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
11. In the Heat of the Night
12. N/A