The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Good work, MV. Legend has been on my to-see list since it first hit theatres, but the mixed reviews and general indifference surrounding the film mean that it doesn't feel like a priority. We'll see if I actually check it out next chance I get - hopefully it's better than Gangster No. 1.

Also wondering if your Hardy-watching will extend to Star Trek: Nemesis. Awful film, but he's easily one of the best things about it.

Looking forward to Legend. It never came anywhere near me when it was released unfortunately. I hope to get to it next week.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Ok I was joking before but now I am starting to resent the level of attention your thread is getting.

Nice review though. It's one I'm curious to see myself at some point. And I'm glad you liked it so much and that it proved to be a more successful blind buy than Achmed

Are there any other Hardy films you've not seen yet that you're eyeing up? As I've mentioned to you before I'd say that Warrior is certainly worth a watch. I also have to admit to having a morbid curiousity in seeing This Means War just because it seems so vastly different to everything else he's done in his career

Also I don't know if you're aware but he's got a miniseries coming at some point this year -

Are there any other Hardy films you've not seen yet that you're eyeing up?
Not especially, no. I may see what titles my library has. I'm a little curious about This Means War myself. It looks absolutely awful, but very different.

Also I don't know if you're aware but he's got a miniseries coming at some point this year -

I was not aware of that. Looks awesome.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I had seen a much shorter trailer but that looks INCREDIBLE.

Very happy to hear some love for Legend, I was seriously worried about whether it was worthwhile or not -- though, like you, I was gonna see it anyway specifically because it was Hardy.

I've seen This Means War and it's actually a Bro-Rom Com. It was cute and at times, amusing. I remember Chelsea Handler was pretty good as Witherspoon's illicit advice-offering best friend. As for Hardy, his character is on the more gentle side and serves more as Pine's rakish character's straight man.
I'm not too sure if you'd enjoy it, Miss Vicky, because I could be wrong but I think I remember reading how you didn't care for Rom Com's.

I'm not too sure if you'd enjoy it, Miss Vicky, because I could be wrong but I think I remember reading how you didn't care for Rom Com's.
I actually enjoy Rom Coms when they're done well, though I used to watch them much more frequently than I do now. That particular one just didn't look appealing to me, but I also wasn't a Hardy fan when it came out.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
LOL
Should you take a chance, I'd be curious to see what you think. It's a hard one to recommend but I will put it at a 40/60 chance of being worthwhile for ya

Zootopia (Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush, 2016)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/06/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema, with Funny Face
Reason For Watching: It's animated and it looked cute
Rewatch: No

The basic premise of the film is this: Non-human mammals have evolved into anthropomorphic, civilized beings that live in relative peace and harmony - predator and prey alike. (How the predators survive is never addressed. I guess they just eat non-mammal species?)

The film follows Judy Hopps, a rookie police officer (and cute little bunny) trying to prove herself as a real cop by solving a missing persons case (well, missing otter anyway). Eventually it turns out that this case is far more complex and high reaching than anybody expected.

But none of that is what the movie is actually about. Amidst the adorable characters, hilarious scenarios, pop culture references and in-jokes is a story about overcoming prejudice - both the prejudice of others who don't believe in you and your own prejudices about cultures and people you don't understand. The film delivers this message without being preachy or overly sentimental. It never forgets that, ultimately, its audience isn't there to get a lesson in morality. Sure the parents appreciate that, but the kids (and I) are there to be entertained and at this the film really excels.

+

Master of My Domain
I don't know, your review kinda makes it sound even more average, but I might check it out, because I'm having a fall out with Disney lately.

The film certainly isn't anything revolutionary, but I thought it was very well made and I had a lot of fun with it. Funny Face absolutely loved it.
Compared to other Disney CG films, I didn't like it nearly as much as Wreck-It Ralph, but liked it at least 1,000 times more than Frozen.

The film certainly isn't anything revolutionary, but I thought it was very well made and I had a lot of fun with it. Funny Face absolutely loved it.
Compared to other Disney CG films, I didn't like it nearly as much as Wreck-It Ralph, but liked it at least 1,000 times more than Frozen.
I still have to see all three of these movies.

Thus far my priority is definitely Wreck-It Ralph > Zootopia > Frozen.

Is this a similar world to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I only ask because that instantly sprang to mind when reading your thoughts.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Glad to hear that you really liked Zootopia MV, and that Funny Face loved it. Really looking forward to this one; thought the trailers were great, showing a film that was funny, very creative and also with some heart

Out of interest how much is Flash the sloth in the film? Is it just that DMV scene shown in the teaser? Just my sister fell in love with him purely from the teaser alone

Is their a short film before it?

Glad to hear that you really liked Zootopia MV, and that Funny Face loved it. Really looking forward to this one; thought the trailers were great, showing a film that was funny, very creative and also with some heart

Out of interest how much is Flash the sloth in the film? Is it just that DMV scene shown in the teaser? Just my sister fell in love with him purely from the teaser alone

Is their a short film before it?
Just the teaser. No short.