Where Has The Silliness Gone?

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
Films these days have been trying to get as serious as possible. Why don't we have silly films anymore? Even our comedies attempt at deeper meanings and never really go over the top and/or experimental like Airplane! or What's Up Doc?

Films these days have been trying to get as serious as possible. Why don't we have silly films anymore? Even our comedies attempt at deeper meanings and never really go over the top and/or experimental like Airplane! or What's Up Doc?
Good point, A-S! Even the Coen's have gotten a little serious...

Look back at the older movies to find some great comedies. I've seen some good comedies in the last 10 years but mostly I prefer the classics, albeit the 90s or the 70s or the 30s, etc, etc.

A bucket of anxiety
I think there's plenty of comedies still being made. They just mostly suck.
I know comedies are still being made, they're just nothing like Mesmerized's comment gif. No one really goes off the rocker or tries to do things simply for the sake of fun.

A bucket of anxiety
Look back at the older movies to find some great comedies. I've seen some good comedies in the last 10 years but mostly I prefer the classics, albeit the 90s or the 70s or the 30s, etc, etc.
Well, yeah, I just think it's sad that you have to look backwards to find something decent

I think there's plenty of comedies still being made. They just mostly suck.
I wish I could rep you 1,000+ times...

I would say its been pushed out by frat boy juvenility that's really dominated US mainstream comedy for the past 25 years the same way comedy based on wit has been in sharp decline in the mainstream.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I feel like The Dark Knight is what did it cause ever since that movie came out, even action movies are trying to be more serious since, then and movies are trying to be longer since then, as if Hollywood keeps on trying to aspire to it.

A bucket of anxiety
I feel like The Dark Knight is what did it cause ever since that movie came out, even action movies are trying to be more serious since, then and movies are trying to be longer since then, as if Hollywood keeps on trying to aspire to it.
That is true. I do think the popularity of comic book films and they're obsession with being taken seriously has a lot to do with the problem. But my husband and I noticed that in 2016, a lot of fun and silly films were being made and were successful and DC even tried its hand at experimentation yet still, films are diving deeper and deeper into the ocean.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

It's alive and well and hanging out in the horror genre.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I read this article, about how Todd Phillips said that Woke culture has killed comedy:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...e-killing.html

Is that the reason why so many comedies are uninspired now, or is he wrong?