How do you cook your bird?

Tools    

Or if you're not into the whole Turkey thing, what do you have instead?

We keep our Turkey pretty simple. We just rub some real butter all over that sucker and then sprinkle a little salt and pepper on it and then shove a cut up apple, orange and several cloves of garlic inside it and throw it in a bag. And then smell it for the next 4 hours.

I really love the Turkey bags, they keep the Turkey so nice and moist. Anyone else use them? I say once you go bag you never go back.

Does anyone here try to deep fry theirs? I haven't heard a happy ending to that one yet, so here's your chance to give your deep fry success story.

I am half agony, half hope.
Last year we had a maple-bacon bird, unbagged, and it was tasty. This year I'm doing an apple-sage bird in the bag. I love the bag since the turkey stays moist without my basting it every 20 minutes, and clean-up is a snap!

Kitchen smells yummy, football's on the t.v., and the day is not passing too quickly. Yeah, it's a good day.

Johann von Goethe

I am half agony, half hope.
It's never too late to start, Adi. Cook a chicken and invite some friends over. You can add more to it every year until it's a tradition in the Adi household.

I don't have any friends...and I can't cook.
Sure you do... you got us. What more do you need? I used to make a Turkey for myself before I met my wife. Anyone can cook. Especially with the internet around.

Re: How do you cook your bird?
Mostly sober these days.
Mrs. Darcy bought me this green egg cooker a couple of Christmases ago.
It's pretty easy to do.
Tastes good.
All I needed to do was put ketchup on to taste.
On my plate.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
We do the bag. We only use some cooking spray on and in the bird. It takes less time to cook and comes out juicy and tender. It always tastes good and it's a lot less messy. Since Sarah became a vegetarian after we got back from Alaska, she's eating some homemade lentil tofu burgers, and we're using vegie broth in the gravy.

Uh, it gets cooked in the oven. I already ate -- the damn thing was done by noon.

Does anyone here try to deep fry theirs? I haven't heard a happy ending to that one yet, so here's your chance to give your deep fry success story.

Then you haven't talked to anyone from Cajun County ... we deep fry them all the time around here and they're delicious... of course I gave up meat a while back so had to just take everyone's word for it this year...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Is that right? Have you ever done it? Why do so many folks burn their houses down? Or is that just an exaggeration.
I've helped do it numerous times and have friends and family who fry them all the time... and none have ever burned anything down... we always fry them in a fish cooker outside though...

Maybe that's it. Maybe those folks that burn their houses down are the same people that fire up the BBQ in the middle of the living room to keep warm when the power goes out. Makes sense when you think about it.

That's what I was thinking... that they were trying to fry it inside... which I would never do... you have to get the peanut oil hot enough to light a match .... and if they don't have a hook strong enough and secure enough on the bird, I can see where the oil might spill out and set something on fire...

She doesn't like it too much when i try to put her in the oven. She doesn't complain about being basted and covered with bacon though...