Oscar's Best Supporting Actress 2023

Tools    

Oscar's Best Supporting Actress will be...?
33.33%
6 votes
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
16.67%
3 votes
Hong Chau, The Whale
38.89%
7 votes
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
5.56%
1 votes
Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
5.56%
1 votes
Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees are...

Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Hong Chau, The Whale
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I haven't seen The Whale yet , but I like all the other nominees in this category. I expect Bassett to win, but I wouldn't object if one of the others win.

I haven't seen The Whale or Wakanda Forever, but I'll still say I'm surprised Janelle Monáe didn't get nominated for Glass Onion. I really liked her in that.

Angela Bassett will win.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I think split votes for Curtis and Hsu are going to give the award to Bassett, though it would be nice to see Curtis win a "Lifetime Achievement/Body of Work" for her long overdue first Oscar nomination.

This is Bassett's "Scent of a Woman" Oscar perhaps this will inspire the Academy to give Curtis (and John Carpenter) lifetime achievement Oscars next year.

Fun Fact Curtis now has 1 Oscar nomination...and she is the daughter of two actors who both have 1 Oscar Nomination (Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh).

Angela Bassett will win.
I think you're right, for the simple reason that there was not a black person nominated for best actor/actress. The Academy does not want to be put in that position.

I think you're right, for the simple reason that there was not a black person nominated for best actor/actress. The Academy does not want to be put in that position.
True. Politics will play a part in this decision. I personally did not like Wakanda Forever and thought Bassett's performance was meh okay.

I think Bassett would be a deserving winner and if she wins, it would be based mostly on the strength of her performance and her overall likeability and respectability.

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen all of these. I don't think there's much point to guessing because Angela Bassett is the biggest lock at this year's Oscars. I liked Hong Chau the most, in The Whale, but I think that is partly because I enjoyed her acting so much in The Menu. It was a cumulative kind of thing. I'm gonna have my Hong Chau heart broken and there's nothing I can do about it.

True. Politics will play a part in this decision. I personally did not like Wakanda Forever and thought Bassett's performance was meh okay.
That's just rubbing salt in.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Angela Bassett secured the first ever acting nomination for the Marvel Cinematic Universe reprising her role as Queen Ramonda in the Black Panther sequel. They had the unenviable task of pivoting Wakanda Forever after the death of Chadwick Boseman and while Bassett has a couple powerful scenes - for a comic book movie - it is nothing especially memorable. The two comic book performances to win Oscar gold so far are Heath and Joaquin’s two Jokers, and Ramonda is simply nowhere near that level of wow. Bassett’s only other nomination came at the 1994 ceremony as Best Actress for her Tina Turner in What’s Love Got to Do with It, the year Holly Hunter won for The Piano. I don’t think she has an overwhelming chance this time, but it has opened the door for the MCU.

Half of Wakanda Forever was spent underwater, but despite the title none of Hong Chau’s work in The Whale is wet, except with tears. As the caregiver to Brendan Fraser’s morbidly obese character she has some nice moments, and Chau was also a part of last year’s The Menu so her profile is continuing to rise after her spotlight in Alexander Payne’s flawed Downsizing. Fraser’s nomination was inevitable and his win may be, too, but The Whale missed out on the big categories like Best Picture and Best Director. Hong Chau will miss out on a win, but this should be a nice calling card for her.

Kerry Condon has been at this for over twenty years now, and while she hasn’t had many outstanding roles she certainly makes her mark in The Banshees of Inisherin. Her Siobhán Súilleabháin is probably the smartest person on the small Irish island, and watching her frustration as she must care for and deal with her brother and the small-minded gossipy nature of her fellow citizens is both delightful and sad. Her character explodes a few times at the goings on, including the sudden break between her brother and Colm, but mostly she suffers silently, wondering how much longer she can stay in this situation. She is tender and tough and played to perfection by Condon. She’d get my vote.

As with Best Supporting Actor, here again are two co-stars going for the same award with Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu both representing Everything Everywhere All at Once in this dimension. For all of Jamie Lee’s longevity she has never really been close to an Oscar nomination before. With her specialties being Horror and Comedy I suppose that’s not too surprising, but she has done a little bit of everything over the decades and her saying yes to this weird, fun little movie has netted her an Oscar nomination. Hsu’s best previous roles were on television in Hulu’s ”The Path” and Amazon’s ”The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” as well as MTV’s ”Girl Code”. She had a small part in Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings but she took a huge leap as Joy Wang/Jobu Tupaki. As the veteran Curtis has a much better chance at actually winning, acknowledging her work here and her whole career.

The conventional wisdom is that co-stars in the same category “cancel each other out” in the voting, but as you’ll see in this chart, historically it happens about as often as it doesn’t…

So going back just to 1970 there have been thirty-seven instances of co-stars competing with each other, not counting the Best Supporting Actors and Actresses from this year. In eighteen of those thirty-seven, one of the co-stars won, which is 49%. But to be fair thirteen of those eighteen came in the ‘70s and ‘80s. The 21st Century contains eleven of those instances with only four managing to win, which is down to 36%.

We shall see.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like Angela Bassett but didn't think her performance in Wakanda Forever was that special. I'd vote for Kerry Condon.

This group I don’t find especially strong. I vote for Hsu, in a movie that is definitely getting more love than I would put on it. It’s fine, and the performances are definitely the strongest part of the movie for me.

This is probably a very weak segment. I think Hong Chau probably. At least I liked her performance. Basset will for the equality vote.

I'll vote after I've seen The Whale and Wakanda Forever. Condon is my favorite at the moment and yes Janelle Monáe should've gotten a nomination.
We'll have to agree to disagree regarding Janelle Monae....found nothing special about her performance or anything else in that film.