Canadian film makers

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Recommend me some Canadian film makers you feel are worthwhile outside of Cronenberg (both father and son), Maddin, Clark, and Villeneuve.

I’ve seen a handful of others here and there (The Changeling, The Grey Fox, both excellent) and a few from Arcand (meh).

Recommend who you feel is worthwhile in your opinion.

The trick is not minding
Mon Oncle Antoine
Sweet Hereafter
Goin Down the Road
A Married Couple
Leolo
Sleeping Giant
Amy George
Goon
Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
I was hoping you’d chime in.

I have heard of Mon Oncle Antoine, Goin Down the Road, Leolo, Sweet Hereafter, Goon and Duddy Kravitz. All have been on my radar in some form. Thank you.

No idea about the rest of his body of work but I thought Monsieur Lazhar by Philippe Falardeau was decent enough.

Atom Egoyan: Besides The Sweet Hereafter, I really like Felicia's Journey, Exotica and Remember.
Richard Kwietniowski: Check out Love and Death on Long Island and Owning Mahowny.
Vincenzo Natali: I enjoyed Cube and Haunter a lot. I didn't like Splice, though.

Last Night (1998)
Allen King did some interesting documentaires (Warrendale, A married couple, Dying at Grace)
The Silent partner (1978)
The Hanging Garden (1997)
Ginger Snaps (2000)

Ill even work in some 2010 countdown recommends:
The Turbo Kid (2015)
Youre sleeping, Nicole (2014)
A colony (2018)
Slut in a good way (2018)
All Governments Lie: truth, deception, and the spirit of I.F. Stone (2016) . . . This contains one of the greatest Freudian slips in all of cinema; during a White house press conference Ari Fleisher inadvertently compares the American government to a corrupt mafia type organization . . . and most of the white house press corp bursts out laughing.

Recommend me some Canadian film makers you feel are worthwhile outside of Cronenberg (both father and son), Maddin, Clark, and Villeneuve.

I’ve seen a handful of others here and there (The Changeling, The Grey Fox, both excellent) and a few from Arcand (meh).

Recommend who you feel is worthwhile in your opinion.
Sarah Polley

Most people going for films, so I will go that way too...

Chained (2012) is a Canadian thriller/horror film about a serial killer (Vincent D'Onofrio) that kidnaps a little kid after murdering his mother, then keeps him chained to a bed until he's a teenager. Great to see the dynamics that develop between the two. Directed by Jennifer Lynch, daughter of David.

Cube (1997) is a nice little horror/thriller that keeps you guessing what's going on. It's not without its flaws, but the concept is interesting. Have heard mixed things about the sequels, but never gotten around to them. This one's worth a watch, though. Directed by Canadian Vincenzo Natali.

Ginger Snaps (2000) is an interesting take on the werewolf sub-genre. Haven't revisited it in a while, but I remember enjoying it. Have also heard positive things about the first sequel, but haven't gotten to it. Directed by Canadian John Fawcett.

The trick is not minding
Update:

Since starting this thread I’ve seen a few more films from Canada this year.
A few more from Maddin.
Goon and Ginger Snaps.
I have Cube ready to go tonight.

Xavier Dolan ! (Mommy, Lawrence Anyways, Tom at the Farm, Matthias et Maxime)

Sean Durkin (Martha Marcy May Marlene)
Andrew Huculiak (Violent)

You know, despite Dolan being on my radar I don’t think I’ve seen a single film of his as of yet. Which is weird, because I know I’ve been meaning to watch Mommy for a long time. Going to have to make time for him at some point.