Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Shoplifters, 2018

A man and an adolescent boy wander into a grocery store. Using a careful and clearly-familiar choreography, they steal products from the shelves before making a smooth getaway. On their walk home, they come across a young girl alone in her home and impulsively invite her home. Taking the little girl back to the home, we discover that they are part of a larger "found family" (the relationships between the different characters are illuminated as the story goes on). Deciding to keep the girl with them instead of returning her home changes the dynamics in the house. We realize that the existence of this family is a house of cards, and one wrong move could send it all tumbling down.

I thought that this film was pretty fantastic. It asks pointed questions about what makes a family and who "deserves" to be a mother or a father to a child. However, while it has a lot of sympathy for the different characters and what they must do in order to survive on the fringes of society, it makes space to acknowledge their flaws and the ways that they deceive themselves and each other.

It's pretty stunning to realize just how well the film tells the story of each of the characters and illuminates their desires and what they do to achieve them. The character I identified with the most was Nobuyo (Sakura Ando), the mother of the family. It's a character filled with a heady mix of longing and pragmatism, and it's interesting to watch how different events bring out those opposing sides of her personality.

This is one of those films that I enjoyed so much that it's almost hard to write about it. I loved the way that it was filmed. I thought the performances were excellent.

I had one quibble with a plot point, namely (MAJOR SPOILERS)
WARNING: spoilers below
that a small child who had been physically abused (scarred, burned) and whose parents had hidden her disappearance for over two months and who was on the radar of child services would be returned to those parents. Just . . . how? And especially with the amount of public scrutiny that the case had clearly received. Admittedly I know very little about how Child Services (or the equivalent agency) works in Japan, but it felt wrong, somehow.

It was only at the end of the film when reading about it that I realized that this was the same director who made Nobody Knows (and the splendid After Life, which does not connect as strongly to this movie but which I also loved). His sensibilities about how families function when pushed to the edge, and what it means to be part of a family are very touching to me.

Aside from my one (very minor) plot quibble, I thought that this film was excellent. I didn't want it to end.

, but honestly almost a

Victim of The Night
Holy ****.
The DCEU.
How can they suck so badly so consistently?
How can they destroy the only good property they had going with what sure felt like naked and brazen studio interference?
What a disaster. Any hope I had that the DCEU could be salvaged is gone.
More on the movie itself soon in an individual write-up as, as is often the case with me, I have more to say about a bad movie than I do about good ones.

Damn. So far I've read five different reviews of WW1984 from people here and at KE8's forum and not a single one liked it or had anything good to say. That's too bad. The first one wasn't all that bad and had some genuinely good moments.

Tenet is Nolan's most nakedly nonsensical, executed with the dopey confidence of a notoriously hammy actor doing a ****ty Russian accent. John David Washington is great at reacting to the crazy bull**** happening around him. Elizabeth Debicki is great at putting in a bizarrely weighty performance considering the film around her. Robert Pattinson is great at looking like a slept in his suit and bringing that alcoholic James Bond energy. Kenneth Branagh is...see my first sentence. This is basically Nolan play-acting James Bond using his enormous budget to smash together his extremely expensive toys onscreen, directed with the enthusiasm of your buddy you're watching a movie with who thinks the scene you saw is so awesome that you have to rewind and watch it again. And he's right, it's pretty ****ing awesome.

Can't believe this was supposed to save the movies, but God bless Nolan for trying. The plot hole police will hate it. Would have been terrible to see in a drive-in.
I felt like the film embraced how nonsensical the “science” was because of how awesome it all was. I can respect that as it dropped his notoriously tedious exposition drops.

I also didn’t have a problem with Branagh’s accent, especially in the realm of the Bond films it was so clearly evoking. Of course, I’m hardly an expert in Russian accents but compared to the American standard of Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV, or even in comparison to whatever the hell Branagh was doing in Murder on the Orient Express, it felt more than authentic enough for the film it was in.

Welcome to the human race...
Terminator: Dark Fate -

idk could've used a lava gun or something

Another Round

I don't think I've ever seen a bad movie with Mads Mikkelsen. This is a crazy one, but still good.

My Darth Star is in for a service

After having to break into the damned Blu Ray case because some Muppet left the security tag in I sat down to watch this with much anticipation.
I wasn't disappointed as the action sequences were superb and the subwoofer got a bloody good workout to boot.
It was a lot better than I was expecting with some funny moments and a completely unlikable villian as they should be.

8.5/10

Honest thief (2020)

Better than I expected but plodding and predictable. TBF Neeson is good in this but the story was less than average.

Victim of The Night
It's not that bad but takes way too much time to get to where it's obviously going.
I would say that it is that bad. I spent a good bit of time chatting with a friend who saw it, and we were both really rooting for the movie, and we had to agree that it is pretty poor.
I suggested a better script in about 10 seconds, just using what they already had. DC just can't get out of their own ******* way.

Victim of The Night
"One thing that concerns me (as a film critic, and probably you too) is are we ever gonna get serious pictures? Are these blockbusters gonna crowd us out? I hope that the Hollywood chieftains don't look at the gross of these pictures and say, 'Hey, I'm just gonna play it light.'"
- Gene Siskel, 1978

Shoplifters, 2018

A man and an adolescent boy wander into a grocery store. Using a careful and clearly-familiar choreography, they steal products from the shelves before making a smooth getaway. On their walk home, they come across a young girl alone in her home and impulsively invite her home. Taking the little girl back to the home, we discover that they are part of a larger "found family" (the relationships between the different characters are illuminated as the story goes on). Deciding to keep the girl with them instead of returning her home changes the dynamics in the house. We realize that the existence of this family is a house of cards, and one wrong move could send it all tumbling down.

I thought that this film was pretty fantastic. It asks pointed questions about what makes a family and who "deserves" to be a mother or a father to a child. However, while it has a lot of sympathy for the different characters and what they must do in order to survive on the fringes of society, it makes space to acknowledge their flaws and the ways that they deceive themselves and each other.

It's pretty stunning to realize just how well the film tells the story of each of the characters and illuminates their desires and what they do to achieve them. The character I identified with the most was Nobuyo (Sakura Ando), the mother of the family. It's a character filled with a heady mix of longing and pragmatism, and it's interesting to watch how different events bring out those opposing sides of her personality.

This is one of those films that I enjoyed so much that it's almost hard to write about it. I loved the way that it was filmed. I thought the performances were excellent.

I had one quibble with a plot point, namely (MAJOR SPOILERS)
WARNING: spoilers below
that a small child who had been physically abused (scarred, burned) and whose parents had hidden her disappearance for over two months and who was on the radar of child services would be returned to those parents. Just . . . how? And especially with the amount of public scrutiny that the case had clearly received. Admittedly I know very little about how Child Services (or the equivalent agency) works in Japan, but it felt wrong, somehow.

It was only at the end of the film when reading about it that I realized that this was the same director who made Nobody Knows (and the splendid After Life, which does not connect as strongly to this movie but which I also loved). His sensibilities about how families function when pushed to the edge, and what it means to be part of a family are very touching to me.

Aside from my one (very minor) plot quibble, I thought that this film was excellent. I didn't want it to end.

, but honestly almost a
Beautiful film by a great director. That end bus scene had me in pieces.

Honest thief (2020)

Better than I expected but plodding and predictable. TBF Neeson is good in this but the story was less than average.

Seriously, other than Taken, which I don't even think it's that great, is there any one of these brainless Liam Neeson action flicks that's worth the time? Asking seriously, cause I think the only one I've seen is Non-Stop, which I thought was as dumb as it gets.

And please, don't mention The Grey. That film deserves better than to be lumped with those others.

Seriously, other than Taken, which I don't even think it's that great, is there any one of these brainless Liam Neeson action flicks that's worth the time? Asking seriously, cause I think the only one I've seen is Non-Stop, which I thought was as dumb as it gets.

And please, don't mention The Grey. That film deserves better than to be lumped with those others.
Mebbe try A Walk Among The Tombstones, I thought it was decent enough.

Sound of Metal -

This deeply affecting drama stars Riz Ahmed as Ruben, a drummer in a heavy metal duo and recovering addict who suddenly loses his hearing. He enrolls in a school for the deaf, but his mind is barely commited to accepting his new reality. Instead, he obsesses over scrounging enough money to buy some expensive cochlear implants and continue his band's tour. Ahmed is utterly convincing as a man who has righted his ship after having endured a long struggle and is not ready for another one. Equally impressive is Paul Raci as Joe, the school's director, a man who is sympathetic to Ruben's plight and who urges him to sit still, contemplate and hopefully learn how to enjoy his new life. You could say the same for director Darius Marder, who encourages us to look around, listen and let the details build the characters and tell the story. The shot of the scars on Ruben's bandmate and girlfriend Lou's (Olivia Cooke) wrist, for instance, told me what I needed to know about her better than words could. Also, Ruben's doctors describe the state of his hearing, but we get to hear how he hears thanks to audio effects that simulate the deaf experience. I have tinnitus and partial hearing loss in one ear, so I can't judge how well the effects represent Ruben's condition, but what they get right about the ringing, tinniness and how muffled everything sounds make them the most accurate recreation of what it's like to be hearing impaired that I can remember. If you are not a fan of heavy metal music, that should not stop you from seeing this movie since it's not really about that. Besides, as much as the movie made me empathize with the hearing impaired, it's ultimately a story about recovery, not to mention one of the best I've seen. There are some who go through the process who are lucky enough to stay with the people they meet and keep the new home, career, etc. that are there for them at the end of the tunnel. However, there are others for whom such bonds and necessities are but preparation for another tunnel.

Beautiful film by a great director. That end bus scene had me in pieces.
Agreed. I didn't want it to end, but I was also like, "How much more can my heart take?"

It is hard ranking his films. They are all so good. I've not seen Truth, Hana or Distant.
I have only seen Shoplifters, After Life and Nobody Knows. I think I had Like Father, Like Son queued up at one point but then it left that streaming service or something and didn't end up watching it.

I have liked/loved everything I've seen from him.

'Babyteeth' (2020)

A very well made debut feature by Shannon Murphy. Eliza Scanlen is impressive and her chemistry with Toby Wallace is notable. Essentially it's about coping with illness and addiction and the recovery process but it's quite a layered film. There are also some very well placed music cues. Ben Mendelsshon gives his usual 9 out of 10 performance and the colour scheme is one I'll be trying to get to the bottom of for a while. It's not novel and there are a couple of characters that feel overwritten but it's extremely enjoyable and I cried like a ******g baby.