Rock's Cheapo Theatre of the Damned

→ in
Tools    

They had an imitator.
Wonder if they got the same Price impersonater that Iron Maiden used?

Hopefully, you don't mind me posting this here, but I just finished watching Not Quite Hollywood, a documentary about the Australian New Wave (mainly covering the exploitation genre of the 1970s and 80s). Afterwards, I looked up all the Australian films mentioned in it and assembled them into a list, so I figured I'd post it here. You've probably seen some of them, but there's also a bunch of obscure films on there which I think would be right up your alley.

https://www.listchallenges.com/the-australian-new-wave

Nice list. Some thoughts on the ones I've seen:

Wake in Fright - Definitely a classic. I own a copy and wouldn't mind revisiting it at some point.

Felicity - I found this a little dull when I watched it a few years ago. Some nice travelogue atmosphere, but not a lot of tension in the story (basically the heroine learns that she really likes to ****, and the movie stays at that level). My standards around narrative have significantly deteriorated since then, so very possible I would like it on a rewatch. Also, Joni Flynn (who most people might recognize from Octopussy) is unreasonably attractive but also does a terribly Chinese accent, so perhaps there is some tension.

Long Weekend - Big fan of this one, think I've discussed it before with the Crammers.

Next of Kin - Watched this one recently. First two acts are a bit too slow a burn, but the third act is pretty great.

Howling III - This has a self awareness lacking in the second film and definitely has more of a personal touch, but also lacks the goofy, Hammer-lite charm of its predecessor.

The Man From Hong Kong - Also a classic. Jimmy Wang Yu is not the most charismatic lead actor ("Hey, don't give me any ****!"), but the movie compensates through pretty much wall-to-wall action scenes, each of which plays like the climax of a lesser movie. Sammo Hung has a cameo in which he sports a hideous mustache.

Mad Max - Not my favourite in the series, but a classic nonetheless.

Wonder if they got the same Price impersonater that Iron Maiden used?

Smart money says no, but there's only one way to be sure.

Stu, have you to watch the movie and listen to the record at the same time.

Howling III - This has a self awareness lacking in the second film and definitely has more of a personal touch, but also lacks the goofy, Hammer-lite charm of its predecessor.
Howling II is a roundabout Aussie bastard, being directed by Philippe Mora, whose Mad Dog Morgan is on the list. (Oh wait, Mora directed III too. Nevermind.)

I don't really know if they qualify as "sploitation", but a couple of my favorite Aussie comedies are Beresford's Don's Party, just a terrific little film, and Bliss from '85, the one with Barry Otto. That last one can be a little hard to find. Also dramas like Sunday Too Far Away and Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith.

From that list, I like Barry McKenzie, Roadgames and Razorback.

Howling II is a roundabout Aussie bastard, being directed by Philippe Mora, whose Mad Dog Morgan is on the list. (Oh wait, Mora directed III too. Nevermind.)
I tried watching Morgan earlier but as I was distracted at the time and also faced with a weirdly blurry transfer, I couldn't get into it and put it aside. Should probably finish the job one of these days.

From that list, I've seen Wake in Fright, Razorback, Howling III, Mad Max, and Rogue. I like all of them to varying degrees, with either Wake in Fright or Mad Max being my favorites. I also plan to check out all the horror films on the list in the future since many of them look interesting.

Also, the documentary I found those films in (Not Quite Hollywood) is really good, so I recommend watching it as well. In addition to providing a thorough background of the Australian New Wave, it's also quite fast-paced and should make for an easy, entertaining watch. Plus, crumbsroom's favorite director James Wan gives some commentary in it, so what are y'all waiting for?

Haven't seen that doc yet, but I quite enjoyed Machete Maidens Unleashed and Electric Boogaloo. The former is better as it has more production stories, but both offer nice, breezy, enthusiastic looks at their respective subjects.

I tried watching Morgan earlier but as I was distracted at the time and also faced with a weirdly blurry transfer, I couldn't get into it and put it aside. Should probably finish the job one of these days.
It gets better than the
WARNING: spoilers below
sloppy head shot edit
. Worth seeing it through.

Mad Max - Not my favourite in the series, but a classic nonetheless.
Ditto; if I had to rank the MM movies, it'd look like this:

Fury Road
Road Warrior
Max Mad
Beyond Thunderdome

The original was obviously held back somewhat by its low budget (since I think George Miller said that about 20% of the action scenes he had planned for it had to be cut as a result), but the fundmental craft there is still enough to make a solid start to the series, which only got better when the scope of The Road Warrior was able to match his vision. Beyond Thunderdome is clearly the weakest entry, with Miller's reduced involvement resulting in a less gritty, more "Hollywood" take on MM, but even it's still decent, and Fury Road finally overtook TRW recently as my personal favorite entry, with it seeming less hyperactive, and more impactful on a sensory level than it did initially, so, yeah... really good series on the whole.

Sometimes I think my biggest ever cinematic crime is not recognizing how good the first Mad Max was.

Definitely the second best Mad Max movie.
Really? I mean, I do think it's good, but next to Warrior or Fury Road...

The trick is not minding
Mad Dog Morgan is worth watching for Hopper, who allegedly was coked up during filming. Still, he does a somewhat decent job with the role.
Ozploitation, and Australian New as well, has quite the eclectic range of genre.
Wake in Fright is certainly good, and I’ll toss in Mad Max, obviously. Mad Dog Morgan is ok. I’ve seen Patrick, Razorback, Turkeyshoot, and maybe one or two more here and there.
Does Dead Calm count as Ozploitation? Certainly New Wave, I’d imagine. The line seems to blur on occasion.
That and Gallipoli are excellent. And Romper Stomper, but I don’t think it was a part of the movement.
Didn’t care for The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ozusploitation > Ozploitation
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Mad Dog Morgan is worth watching for Hopper, who allegedly was coked up during filming. Still, he does a somewhat decent job with the role.
My favourite bit of trivia about the movie:

Dennis Hopper visited Daniel Morgan's grave right after finishing the
film and got drunk at the grave site; he was arrested by the Victorian
police and placed on the first plane back to Hollywood.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
*breaks the 180-rule*

*audience hoots and hollers*
I was talking about that pink film parodying the works of Yasujiro Ozu, but yeah, breaking the 180-rule is even more subversive.

Speaking of pink, have toy seen a movie called High Noon Ripper? Thinking of squeezing that in this month for seasonally appropriate sexy viewing.