1001 Movies you must see before you die

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I have about 100 movies left to watch if I combine all editions. I'll re-watch some of them because I don't remember them.

Also I've been compiling custom lists in groups of 100.
And 865 days later, I finished.

I've seen 426 of them. After I finish up with Sight & Sounds' list, I might watch some films from that list.
Update: I've now seen 973/1,245 of them (78%).

Can't find:

Deewaar (it's on YouTube, but I can't get any subtitle files to match up to the film)
No Fear, No Die
Lamerica

Welcome to the human race...
Just checked and apparently I'm at 995/1,245. Still not at 1,001 itself.

Only 681 on the most recent list. Movie buff status = Denied
682. Still denied.

According to Letterboxd stats, I'm at 406/1001

Sorting by popularity, these are the Top 10:

Joker
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Little Women
Call Me By Your Name
Soul
Tenet
Booksmart
Gravity
Chungking Express
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I was going by that book for like 2 months after getting it.

But the book is pretty bad.

For one, it has a film from 1903 and then the next one is from 1915.

It skips 12 years of cinema.

With each new edition, an old masterpiece is switched to a new film, usually not a very good one.

https://letterboxd.com/peterstanley/...efore-you-die/

You’ve watched
943 of 1,245 - 75%

Not bad given I was only going by that book for a short time in 2012.

I just skimmed through the movies I still haven't seen. And I don't want to watch any of them TBH.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The trick is not minding
I was going by that book for like 2 months after getting it.

But the book is pretty bad.

For one, it has a film from 1903 and then the next one is from 1915.

It skips 12 years of cinema.

With each new edition, an old masterpiece is switched to a new film, usually not a very good one.

https://letterboxd.com/peterstanley/...efore-you-die/

You’ve watched
943 of 1,245 - 75%

Not bad given I was only going by that book for a short time in 2012.

I just skimmed through the movies I still haven't seen. And I don't want to watch any of them TBH.
What masterpieces were taken out? I never really followed before

To be fair, over half the 21st century films on the full list don't make it on all the individual lists and get booted off after a year or two. While they still suffer too much from recency bias, their bias for most of the recent releases doesn't last long.

Still though, it's not the best consensus I've come across. I'm currently using (I think) the 2020 list to get recommendations from. Once I'm done with it, I'll likely have over 100 movies left to see on the full list, but if most of those turn out to be 21st century films, I'll likely just switch over to something else.

I don't think there's a loooot of recency bias. I mean, the list peaks in the 1980s as far as quantity, and 1960s through 1990s are fairly close.

How about you just kill me by making me watch them all back-to-back?

I don't think there's a loooot of recency bias. I mean, the list peaks in the 1980s as far as quantity, and 1960s through 1990s are fairly close.

My main point of contention is that, with maybe a few exceptions here and there, it's probably not good to include any films from the past decade into a list like that. Let them age a bit before deciding whether or not they're worthy of making the list. For instance, the 2022 Sight & Sound poll had far less recent films in their top 100, and I'd still argue that list (though I still liked it quite a bit) suffered from recency bias. 1001 Movies is definitely the worse offender of the two though.