Guess the film quiz

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I use to sometimes conduct film quizzes on a sports forum I was apart of many years ago. I enjoyed writing them up and many of the users enjoyed guessing the films, too. I thought I'd give it a try on here, since this is a movie forum and a pretty great one at that, with many intelligent users who have seen numerous films. It seems naturally fitting.

The quiz is simple. You try to guess the film based on three vague clues I supply. The user who ends up with the most right at the quizs' conclusion wins. Part of it is like a process of elimination. I am not sure how this will end up, but I'm sure it will be good, providing people participate and take a stab even if they're not confident in their guesses. Okay, here we go:

FILM 1

• The film was made in the 80s
• A prominent Soviet arthouse filmmaker praised it
• It belongs to the science fiction genre

Solved by: mark f - The Terminator

FILM 2

• The film was a directorial debut
• The director is in the leading role
• It is set in rural southern United States

Solved by: mark f - Sling Blade

FILM 3

• The directors' previous film to this clocked at three hours in length
• It is set in Los Angeles
• A musical instrument plays a symbolic role in this film

Solved by: TheUsualSuspect - Punch-Drunk Love

FILM 4

• This is a made-for-TV film
• The director has gone on to make many more films and is now widely established
• It was made between the years 1970-1980

Solved by: mark f - Duel

FILM 5

• This film is known for being a breakthrough in film editing
• The filmmaker is of Jewish descent and is now deceased
• The leading actor received an Oscar nomination for his work

Solved by: mark f - The Pawnbroker

FILM 6

• This film is considered to be the figurehead of a New Wave movement
• Its director has since gone on to work in America
• It is an adaptation

Solved by: mark f - Picnic at Hanging Rock

FILM 7

• This was made during "Japan's Golden Age of Film"
• The film can be considered a supernatural piece
• The film has a Criterion release

Solved by: Sexy_Celebrity - Ugetsu

FILM 8

• This film is an adaptation of a controversial novel
• The novel was not written in English, but the film is spoken in English
• It was directed by a very recognisable filmmaker

Solved by: Hit Girl - Lolita

FILM 9

• This film is part of a thematic trilogy
• It is not American
• The director, however, is a recipient of an honorary Oscar

Solved by: mark f - A Generation

FILM 10

• This is one of the directors' last films behind his death
• It has a very loose narrative structure
• A well-known American filmmaker (one of his films is currently in theatres as we speak) has a role in this

Solved by: cricket - Dreams

I might just leave it at ten now, as I have no idea how this quiz will hold up. Hopefully my clues are not too vague nor too obvious. I just picked the first ten films that came to my mind, so there is no pattern, and, if there is, it is unintentional. Good luck! I will add additional clues if a film remains unsolvable after a certain amount of time.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Film 2: Frailty?

Film 3: Punch Drunk Love?

film 7: House?

A lot of the clues are indeed vague.

Suspect's Reviews

You have got Film 3 right.

They are vague, but a lot of them are mostly (hopefully) exclusive to just those films.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Damn this is hard, I'm trying to solve six and I keep coming back to The 400 Blows by Francois Truffaut because it's definitely big for French New Wave cinema but it just says the new wave movement so i'm not sure. Plus I think it's disqualified because it's inspired by Truffaut's own life which technically means it's not an adaptation....so I guess this post is pointless and I've gotten nowhere here! Just thinking out loud.

Damn this is hard, I'm trying to solve six and I keep coming back to The 400 Blows by Francois Truffaut because it's definitely big for French New Wave cinema but it just says the new wave movement so i'm not sure. Plus I think it's disqualified because it's inspired by Truffaut's own life which technically means it's not an adaptation....so I guess this post is pointless and I've gotten nowhere here! Just thinking out loud.
Interesting thoughts. The 400 Blows is obviously not correct, but you are on the right track (that is, looking at notable films in New Wave movements). I think the second clue really restricts some of the most obvious answers.

Film 3: Punch Drunk Love?
Good call!

I'm kickin myself in the butt for not putting that together now.

Sorry, no. Godard never really worked in America, did he?
The only research I did for that was go down his IMDB page and see if he had any English language titled things so it's pretty loose haha

The only research I did for that was go down his IMDB page and see if he had any English language titled things so it's pretty loose haha
Note: film 6 is not French.

Note: film 6 is not French.
Thank you, that helps me out a lot. I was always taught in my film classes that French New Wave was the new wave but I knew that there were other new wave movements in other countries so I wasn't sure if I should just be looking at French or not but that helps narrow it down

Thank you, that helps me out a lot. I was always taught in my film classes that French New Wave was the new wave but I knew that there were other new wave movements in other countries so I wasn't sure if I should just be looking at French or not but that helps narrow it down
I hope you are the one that ends up getting this right.

Well done.